Seriously need nutrition help

Options
Hey everyone (mmm no one yet),

I am 39 nearly hitting 40 and guess what....I decided to finally live healthy (again after 20 years). I was a gym junky when I was younger and then life happened. 45kilo's over weight and I finally want to start waking up.

Problem is I am not young anymore, I discover I still love exercising and have been pushing myself for the last 3 weeks. 4 weeks ago I started with the Banting diet.....but I have no clue what I am doing. All my foods are weighed and captured on MyFitnessPal and the app keeps telling me I don't eat enough (in a nutshell).

My calorie intake is around 600 - 950 and I just can't seem to go over 1000. I have unfortunately always hate eating. No I do not have an eating disorder, I just can go without eating for 2/3 days and live on coffee and feel great. I have trimmed down my 10/15 cups to about 3 to none a day. Yesterday and today I am craving coffee again and had 3.

Saying that my exercise "calories" are between 500 and 900. So what I see is I burn what I eat and that's as far as my little mind can read this.

I don't understand the whole carbs, fat, protein thing. Everywhere on sites it says I must only eat 25g of carbs. Hell I would love to one day see that, because MyFitnessPal keeps saying no matter how healthy my food is that I am between 35 - 50 gr of carbs. This is green shakes (coconut water, spinach, kale....), yogurts, broccoli...everything green I can find I eat. So how am I not getting this carbs thing right.

I am sorry I just spat it all out, but if someone is out there that can help this dummy understand this I am all ears.

Thanks a mil

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm 46. I've dropped 106 lbs in just under two years, eating over 150grams carbs per day. I'm eating 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein. At least that's what I shoot for. Usually I'm a bit higher on carbs, a bit lower on fat.

Unless there's some medical issue requiring you to restrict carbs (eg Type 2 diabetes) or you're trying keto (and it doesn't sound like it), there's no reason to limit carbs if you like them.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Most low carb diets figure X grams of net carbs (carbs - fiber), so that may be confusing you.

That said, a low carb diet may not be a good option for you. When I did low carb it was great for suppressing my appetite. If you already have no appetite you may want to rethink going low carb. Carbs are not the cause of being overweight - too many calories are.

And you should never eat so little on a regular basis unless you are under medical supervision. That is seriously too few calories. How much have you lost in the 4 weeks you've been trying to lose?

edited for typos

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It would also be a help if you opened up your food diary. Looking at that, it's easier to give suggestions.
  • TASCascalho
    TASCascalho Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Forget about those diets. Keep it simple. Calculate your calories according with TDEE and stuff like that. I'll add you as a friend if you need any help :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat any certain foods. You just have to eat in a calorie deficit. So, eat some of the things you used to, but not all of them all the time. A little peanut butter, or ice cream, will get your calorie allowance up easily.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    anitalahav wrote: »

I am 39 nearly hitting 40 and guess what....I decided to finally live healthy (again after 20 years). I was a gym junky when I was younger and then life happened. 45kilo's over weight and I finally want to start waking up.

Problem is I am not young anymore, I discover I still love exercising and have been pushing myself for the last 3 weeks. 4 weeks ago I started with the Banting diet.....but I have no clue what I am doing. All my foods are weighed and captured on MyFitnessPal and the app keeps telling me I don't eat enough (in a nutshell).

My calorie intake is around 600 - 950 and I just can't seem to go over 1000. I have unfortunately always hate eating. No I do not have an eating disorder, I just can go without eating for 2/3 days and live on coffee and feel great. I have trimmed down my 10/15 cups to about 3 to none a day. Yesterday and today I am craving coffee again and had 3.

Saying that my exercise "calories" are between 500 and 900. So what I see is I burn what I eat and that's as far as my little mind can read this.

I don't understand the whole carbs, fat, protein thing. Everywhere on sites it says I must only eat 25g of carbs. Hell I would love to one day see that, because MyFitnessPal keeps saying no matter how healthy my food is that I am between 35 - 50 gr of carbs. This is green shakes (coconut water, spinach, kale....), yogurts, broccoli...everything green I can find I eat. So how am I not getting this carbs thing right.

I am sorry I just spat it all out, but if someone is out there that can help this dummy understand this I am all ears.

Thanks a mil

"Low carb" is not necessary to be healthy. It says you joined MFP 5 days ago on your profile, so is that how long you've been logging?

Check out these threads, they are great for folks new to MFP:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10499571/fad-diets-and-general-recommendations/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    There's no benefit for weight loss in restricting carbs. Unless you are diabetic, pre-diabetic, or have another issue such as PCOS or epilepsy which specifically responds to a low carb diet, eat whatever you like with a focus on getting enough protein to maintain your muscle mass while you lose weight.

You did not get fat by never eating.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    If you are interested in more information:

Protein is 4 calories per gram. Protein is good for muscle preservation/synthesis.
    Carbs are also 4 calories per gram. They provide energy to your body.
    Fats are 9 calories per gram. They are necessary for the body to get fat-soluble vitamins and also help protein do its job.

Your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is the amount of calories your body uses in a day. You need a deficit from this amount of calories to create weight loss. So, if your TDEE is 2000 calories (random number), to lose approximately 2 pounds a week you'd eat 1000 calories a day (too low, don't do this!!!). To lose a pound a week, you'd eat 1500 calories per day. To lose a half-pound a week, you'd eat 1750 calories per day.

• hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 and have lost 110 lbs since January. I eat well balanced highly nutritious food with portions that keep me in my MFP calorie target. I only walk for exercise, at first it was just a little, now I do 1 hour, 3mph, 10% incline.

My food diary is open if you're interested. We make meal planning easy and food interesting by using platejoy.com and that has helped me avoid diet fatigue.

When I reach goal, after 50 more lbs, I plan to have learned how to eat better so switching to maintenance will just mean switching from all cardio to more strength training and no eating difference.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Oh, and a food scale is your best friend for weight loss. Check out this thread...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

And you won't lose exactly the same weight every week. Read this article...

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Thanks a mil

"Low carb" is not necessary to be healthy. It says you joined MFP 5 days ago on your profile, so is that how long you've been logging?

Check out these threads, they are great for folks new to MFP:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10499571/fad-diets-and-general-recommendations/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1

Forget whatever diet you know. Follow the advice in the threads suggested above, especially sexy pants. Set reasonable macro targets in MFP. I like 40 carbs, 30 fats, 30 protein. Eat at least 80-90% of your foods as whole foods, lean meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, etc and you will be successful.
  • anitalahav
    anitalahav Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    you didn't get to 45kg overweight by not eating...

instead of following fads and magic fixes and detoxes, start eating food you like, in portion sizes that put you in a deficit, and eat some fruit and veg...

No I didn't. I lived life and didnt care. Ate my favourite stuff (sushi, pastas and had a bad chip (crisps) issue). But I dont sit 24/7 eating, but ate the wrong stuff. I cut out all the above now. Well pasta I can't but changed the noodles to Cauliflower noodles and only allow it twice a month. My dinner plates is gone and only have side plates that I use.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you didn't get to 45kg overweight by not eating...

instead of following fads and magic fixes and detoxes, start eating food you like, in portion sizes that put you in a deficit, and eat some fruit and veg...

No I didn't. I lived life and didnt care. Ate my favourite stuff (sushi, pastas and had a bad chip (crisps) issue). But I dont sit 24/7 eating, but ate the wrong stuff. I cut out all the above now. Well pasta I can't but changed the noodles to Cauliflower noodles and only allow it twice a month. My dinner plates is gone and only have side plates that I use.

you're missing the point... you can eat sushi and pasta and whatever else and still lose weight...
  • anitalahav
    anitalahav Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I opened my diary. Maybe I am missing the point...kind of the idea. Seems the only way to eat "healthy" is to go to a dietrician.
  • TavistockToad
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I opened my diary. Maybe I am missing the point...kind of the idea. Seems the only way to eat "healthy" is to go to a dietrician.

eat some fruit and veg... everyone knows that's healthy... eat adequate protein... also good for you...

eat food you like... very important or you wont stick to it long term.

anything else is overthinking and over complicating it...
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary. You're eating vegetables and protein. That's very good. Don't be afraid to include some pasta, bread or a sweet now and again--if it fits into your daily calorie goal. You are eating the same things everyday. Some people do that and it's not a problem, others get tired of the same things and risk a binge. Remember that vegetables have carbs in them, less than grains, but they do. You didn't say if you're doing Keto. You basically eat veggies and protein, that's why I'm asking. If you're happy eating this way, keep on and see how your weight loss goes. I just want you to know that you can branch out a bit if you want. Keep weighing and measuring your food. Good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Makkar86 wrote: »
    Wassup...
    Just wanted to make sure u aviod bad fat and sugar that will make huge difference... Less carbs with those numbers is still fine. intake of calories should always be less ..

so much nope... Ignore this post OP