Intermittent Fasting

Options
andy_dad
andy_dad Posts: 28 Member
I am thinking about trying it. Maybe the 16/8 method (ie eat 10am-6pm and fast from 6 pm to 10am).

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    What are your goals? IF might be a good fit if it helps you accomplish them, or it might be unnecessary.
  • kellyba87
    kellyba87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I tried this once. It was okay
  • andy_dad
    andy_dad Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @pinuplove. I am 125 lbs overweight. That is really my only goal.
  • Hobb3s
    Hobb3s Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it now, it really helps with the calorie management. Honestly after the first 3-4 days, I don't even notice it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    andy_dad wrote: »

you just need a calorie deficit then.
  • Nutrition361
    Nutrition361 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For those trying IF, please understand it's an eating schedule and nothing more. What I tell my clients is simply that if it helps you adhere to your goals then do it. However, the benefits touted are due to an energy deficit not IF in and of itself. John Brooks, MS, CISSN
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    andy_dad wrote: »

Set up your diet profile here on MFP and start logging your food. If you'd rather have bigger meals and don't mind skipping breakfast you can certainly throw IF into the mix, but the calorie deficit (however you choose to create it) is what really matters :smile:
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    This is how I eat almost every day. It works for me with hunger control. However, it is not magic. You will still need to eat in a deficit.

This. ^^^
    I've been on a 16:8 for almost 14 years. It's a way of life for me now. Some websites will tell you you can eat as much of whatever you want as long as you stick to your eating "window". I can tell you that's not the case. No magic. All I'm really doing is skipping breakfast. IF helped to get a grip on mindless nocturnal fridge raiding and made me really think about what I was putting in my mouth. Combine IF with a deficit and you're good to go. Best of luck on your journey!!

• onemanpeloton
    onemanpeloton Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'll echo the comments above. In my experience, IF is a tool to allow you to more easily manage eating in a defecit. I combine it with higher fat and lower carb intake which also helps me feel fuller for longer, reducing my total intake.
  • cravinglifechants
    cravinglifechants Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    yukfoo wrote: »
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    This is how I eat almost every day. It works for me with hunger control. However, it is not magic. You will still need to eat in a deficit.

This. ^^^
    I've been on a 16:8 for almost 14 years. It's a way of life for me now. Some websites will tell you you can eat as much of whatever you want as long as you stick to your eating "window". I can tell you that's not the case. No magic. All I'm really doing is skipping breakfast. IF helped to get a grip on mindless nocturnal fridge raiding and made me really think about what I was putting in my mouth. Combine IF with a deficit and you're good to go. Best of luck on your journey!!
    Double This. ^^^

I'm also using 16:8, but not as a standalone - I've combined it with eating a calorie deficit, exercise, and lower carbs specifically to help with the way my body functions, and my schedule. More than anything, I've found that restricting my hours and my calories has lead to me cutting out the annoying snacking that @yukfoo mentioned.

My parents and some of their coworkers, however, live by the 23:1 OMAD method. They swear on it. For me, my schedule and my exercise habits, there's just no way.

In the end, you just have to decide what works best for you.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Interesting info!
  • krisleve7707
    krisleve7707 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    never heard of the 23:1 OMAD method so I just Googled it. I don't think I could do that even if I wanted to LOL
  • lowcarbmale
    lowcarbmale Posts: 145 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I've done OMAD a couple of days. Definitely is tough but works. It's almost impossible to eat too many calories in that one hour if you eat healthy food. I would not recommend it if you want to maintain weight as eating that many calories at once puts a lot of stress on your body (your stomach will be super full)
  • BigGuy9898
    BigGuy9898 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For those trying IF, please understand it's an eating schedule and nothing more. What I tell my clients is simply that if it helps you adhere to your goals then do it. However, the benefits touted are due to an energy deficit not IF in and of itself. John Brooks, MS, CISSN

Very true. Intermittent fasting is my tool to limit my calorie intake. What may work for some may not for others.

I suggest trying it, but dont be discouraged if its not for you.