Gym routine

Options
Hey there new to this forum , been going to the gym a while but would like to know how I can spend my time in there effectively, I go for an hour at a time but what should I be doing to lose stomach fat ? Thanks !!

Replies

• cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Download the body space app from bodybuilding.com.
    They have routines you can add to your calendar. The instructional videos for each exercise are very specific and helpful.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    chelle1703 wrote: »
    Hey there new to this forum , been going to the gym a while but would like to know how I can spend my time in there effectively, I go for an hour at a time but what should I be doing to lose stomach fat ? Thanks !!

While you can't spot reduce, your time at the gym will be more productive if you take a few sessions with a personal trainer, especially if you have never used one for guidance for weight lifting.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    No specific exercise is going to reduce stomach fat...you can't spot reduce fat. I only use the gym for lifting weights...I've run a variety of structured programs over the years (there are tons) but currently just run whatever my trainer has laid out for me. I started having more recovery issues lately (as in the last couple of years), so he has me on a 3x per week push/pull schedule in hopes that my recovery will be better. For cardiovascular fitness I primarily cycle, but also do some hiking and rock climbing here and there.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    You want to incorporate weights and cardio. You need to condition overall to lose body fat from anywhere, including the stomach area. And...proper diet...deficit, good sources of protein.
  • Its_Haleeyyy
    Its_Haleeyyy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do the 30 minute circuit, treadmill for 15 minutes, and some sort of leg/arm weights for 10-15 minutes. It's something I don't mind doing and you get a mix of cardio, steps, and weights
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Losing fat comes from maintaining a calorie deficit over a period of time. Most people find that focusing on diet/intake has the biggest impact on that... but exercise can be a factor too. Since your question was about gym time and your goal is basic fat/weight loss, I'd say do whatever exercise you want. All exercise burns calories and helps with the calorie deficit. At this point, I wouldn't worry about what exercises burn the most calories (hint: it's going to be largely insignificant) but rather on building good habits and routines.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    At the gym, I make sure I hit the weights. I’m using machines but not the circuit because I want to spend enough time at each one to reach “failure”. I want to gain muscle. I spent on average 30 min. Sometime I spend my whole hour on it. It only sometimes and then I like the cybex, arc machine for cardio. I try to go for 30 min but I get bored after 15. I’m probably going to move to the treadmill for the last 15 just because it’s a change. At least I should. Lol. I’m only going twice a week because of lack of sitter issues but the rest of the weekdays I use my elliptical or body weight strength train. I’ve been using this routine for only 2 1/2 mos and I’m seeing changes in my arms and back and rear, not so much my stomach, yet. 😩. 4 kids makes this my serious trouble spot. I’m also seeing an increase in the scale so I’m not speaking with it because it’s not being loyal to my efforts. We’re on a break.