Does This Uterus Make My Stomach Look Fat?

mom23mangos
mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
edited August 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
It seems there have been a slew of posts lately of slender women thinking there is something wrong with their stomachs because they aren't completely flat. Instagram and photoshop have warped our views of what a normal female body looks like. Not to mention that female body shapes and fat storage patterns change as we transition through puberty, after childbirth and through menopause. We have extra internal organs, hormones affecting water retention, not to mention extra fat is needed to support giving life to another human.

I thought this blog was fantastic.

https://marcird.com/blog/does_uterus_my_make_me_look_fat/

I get it...no one LIKES having extra fat on their tummy, BUT it is perfectly normal. I feel like we need to have a sister companion to the "So you want a nice stomach" thread showing what "normal" nice stomachs look like. I'm not talking about people in competition prep, but what a bodybuilder looks like in the off season. What women with a normal BMI look like. Yes, you can work hard, eat right and have an awesome stomach, but chances are you are still going to have rolls when you bend over, your lower abdomen is going to curve somewhat and if you don't stand up straight, your gut will push out.

I'd love to see women in the normal BMI range post front and side pics along with the following information so people can see the wide range of "normal". I'd also love to see ladies who fall outside the normal range due to above average muscle mass so that people can see that weighing more is not necessarily a bad thing.

BF%: If you know
Number of Pregnancies:
Medical Conditions affecting appearance: ex. Diastasis Recti, Retroverted Uterus, Scoliosis, Fibroids, etc.
Primary form of exercise: ex. Weights, Biking, Running, Pilates, etc.
Number of years doing aforementioned exercise:

Note from staff
If you are going to share your photos, please make sure to follow our photo guidelines.
- no nudity
- no underwear, thongs, g-strings, or banana hammocks
- no pants or shorts worn mid-hip or below (no saggers)
- no photos in which hands or objects are the only bodily covering
- no excessive cleavage (if you would wear it to work, it’s probably OK)
- no close-up shots of cleavage, butt, breasts or crotch in any state of dress

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited August 2018
    Good point @jjpptt2. I will add number of years exercising to the pertinent information. Over 2 years recomping for me.

Shoot - the edit time has elapsed on the initial post. Ladies, also include number of years doing the aforementioned exercise.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Good point @jjpptt2. I will add number of years exercising to the pertinent information. Over 2 years recomping for me.

Shoot - the edit time has elapsed on the initial post. Ladies, also include number of years doing the aforementioned exercise.

You should be able to PM one of the mods and ask them to edit the OP for you.

Great thread idea!
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I'm posting even though I technically have an "overweight" BMI. 5'4" and 150 lbs.

BMI: 25.7
    BF%: ~27-28%
    Number of pregnancies: 1
    Medical conditions affecting appearance: none
    Primary forms of exercise: CrossFit and running

Did CrossFit for 8 months prior to being pregnant (August 2014-March 2015). Took some time off balancing work/mom/relationship and started back at it in December 2017. Running, I have done on and off since 2012.