When counting calories...

Options
When it comes to losing weight, I usually have good results when placing myself in a calorie deficit. Im doing this now. I hear a lot that it doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you're staying within your "calorie budget". Is this true? I mean personally I would not waste 500 calories on a piece of cake or something that has empty calories... but even for people who think this way, is It true?

Replies

• TiffanyLoveG
    TiffanyLoveG Posts: 76 Member
    Options
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, nothing matters but calories.

Speaking in terms of general health, body composition, energy levels/workout performance, satiety, etc., overall nutrition matters a great deal.

Sure, you could lose weight eating nothing but cake and soda every day - but it's a bad idea nutritionally and you'd spend a lot of time being miserably hungry. Ideally, you eat a reasonably balanced, nutritious diet which includes things you enjoy and doesn't unnecessarily/arbitrarily exclude any macronutrient, food or entire food group.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Just to point out - 500 calories of cake might not be as nutrient dense as other choices, but it doesn't mean it doesn't have any nutrients.

Yep...high energy is uaually from fat. Also some protein and micro nutrients thrown in there. mmmm

Yeah, trust me I definitely appreciate the nutrition in a nice piece of homemade chocolate cake :p But I'm eating 1200 calories a day so I'm saving MOST of my calories for big and nutritious meals. <3

Of course you should.

Are you sure 1200 is an appropriate goal for you? That's usually for the particularly short, sedentary, older ladies.
  • TiffanyLoveG
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Of course you should.

Are you sure 1200 is an appropriate goal for you? That's usually for the particularly short, sedentary, older ladies. [/quote]

To be honest, I have no idea what is appropriate for me, I just picked the lowest caloric goal I could sustain for a few months. I eat from 12pm-8pm and usually have no hunger on 1200 cals a day (unless I stay up too late and its 12am). The only problem I run into is slightly less endurance energy in the gym some days.

I stay full from using my calories on protein and lots of veggies and not things like cake ;)
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    from the reputable news source that is CNN :) here is a link to a guy who lost weight only eating (mostly) twinkies. Not something I would do, I like the feeling of my tummy being full so tend to eat less of the highly processed foods.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • TiffanyLoveG
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Just to point out - 500 calories of cake might not be as nutrient dense as other choices, but it doesn't mean it doesn't have any nutrients.

Yep...high energy is uaually from fat. Also some protein and micro nutrients thrown in there. mmmm

Yeah, trust me I definitely appreciate the nutrition in a nice piece of homemade chocolate cake :p But I'm eating 1200 calories a day so I'm saving MOST of my calories for big and nutritious meals. <3

Many posters have mentioned that they were fine on 1200 calories...until they weren't, and dealing with issues like hair loss, etc.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

Wow, thats interesting! Definitely going to try and find what works for my body and try eat a realistic amount of calories! Thanks for the info!
  • TiffanyLoveG
    Options
    mike_bold wrote: »
    from the reputable news source that is CNN :) here is a link to a guy who lost weight only eating (mostly) twinkies. Not something I would do, I like the feeling of my tummy being full so tend to eat less of the highly processed foods.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Haha, thats funny. Crazy though! I think ill stick to more nutritious foods for now ;)