Not sure if this is okay?

First of all - I am new to the 'community' aspect of myfitnesspal so I am unsure if this is an okay place to be asking for opinions.

I am 23 and am currently about 125 pounds over a healthy body weight. Since starting in June 2018, I have lost 45 pounds so having 125 to go isn't overwhelming anymore.

I recently began logging everything I eat to get a better idea of things. Since June I have been eating a healthy diet consisting of mostly whole foods and trying to stay away from processed things altogether. In the beginning I cut meat and dairy out of my diet, but added these things back over the last 2 months for a healthier diet that was more sustainable. I don't want to put my body through anything I couldn't do for the rest of my life just to lose weight, because I want to keep it off.

After logging my past week of food, I am realizing I am eating about 700-950 calories on average. That being said, I eat 6 meals a day and don't feel hungry at any point throughout my day. I eat 3 standard B,L,D and then a morning snack and afternoon snack. I also eat a small pre-workout snack.

I am worried that because everything I read says I am not taking in enough calories, I am not eating well. However, I feel fine and don't have any negative side effects of my current daily food intake.

Additionally, before beginning my journey I was told I might be in the very beginning stages of PCOS and needed to lose weight before I actually had it. I have since stopped having the only symptom I had, but I did want to add the info in case it might be relevant.

I am just looking for some advice! Is this too low of a calorie intake or since i feel fine every day, and am not starving myself or withholding food is it okay?

Replies

• LiveInLeggings
    LiveInLeggings Posts: 222 Member
    smolmaus wrote: »
    The first question anyone is going to ask is "Are you weighing all of your solid food with a food scale". If you're going off eyeballing, volume measurements, estimates or package weights only your logging could be significantly off.

This is a more likely scenario than you aren't hungry on 700kcal a day. That's just very little food. If you're happy with your rate of weight loss (between 1-2lb a week as recommended) then you don't necessarily need to change what you're eating at all but if you're going to the trouble of logging you might as well make sure you're getting accurate data!

This. Absolutely. Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    If you truely eating 700-950 calories a day, then hair loss, brittle nails, and lean muscle loss won't be far behind.
    This takes awhile. Anorexics aren't hungry much of the time either....not a good indicator

My guess is you are eating more than you think. To get all the vital nutrients and calories to run bodily functions, 1200 is a recommended minimum for women. Smolmaus is correct - weigh portions using a digital food scale.

How do your macros look? Are you getting enough protein....are you eating enough fat? If it's really only 700 calories, the answer is going to be no.
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,271 MFP Staff
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for closing this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:

6. Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

I WILL:
    • I will allow members to share experiences without judgment. Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found on our Eating Disorder Resources page.
    • I will understand that people have a complicated relationship with food.

I WON'T:
    • I won’t use any aspect of our service to promote anorexia, bulimia or any unsafe dieting practices.
    • I won’t promote very low-calorie diets.
    • I won’t diagnose other members.

• Please note: Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low-calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this closed discussion may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Nova
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.