Is Anyone Else Old School?

About 4 years ago i was obese and pathetically out of shape. I had a pretty serious health scare during pre-screening for a surgery (for diverticulitis). Long story short... COPD & a heart attack at some point in time. I survived the surgery, but was told that if i did not start exercising, lose weight, and quit smoking, that i would not be around much longer.

I was a fitness instructor when i was in the military back in the 1980's, so i had the basic "old school knowledge" of what i needed to do to get back in shape. I used that "old school knowledge", and over the past 4 years i have achieved the following...
  • barely being able to walk a mile at a 3 mph pace, to power walking over 10 miles at a 4+ mph pace.
  • barely being able to run for 30 seconds at a slow pace, to being able to run 5 miles at a slow pace.
  • resting heart rate was in the high 80's, now it's in the high 50's
  • cut my bad cholesterol in half, and more than doubled my good cholesterol.
  • all other blood work that used to be a mess is good now.
  • lost well over 50 lbs.
  • went from a size 40 pants to a size 32 pants.
  • have not smoked a cigarette in 2 years (using electronic cigarettes).
  • last stress test revealed that not only is my heart strong and healthy now, but it actually healed itself from the heart attack.

When i first started all this, i did do a basic monitoring & logging of my food intake, but only to learn how to eat better. Once i learned that, i stopped logging, because i think of that as a bad habit. I think we should learn how to eat without having to measure and log.

I notice things have changed a lot since the 1980's, but i think the "old school" basics still apply, so here is the "old school way that i did it...
  1. no pain no gain as long as you don't push the pain to the point of injury.
  2. do steady state cardio to build your base aerobic fitness level
  3. do high intensity intervals and try to hit you MHR on the work interval each time, and try to still keep your heart in the cardio zone during the active rest interval.
  4. use all the heart rate zones and mix it up.
  5. stay in the cardio zone for at least 30 minutes non stop to get a training effect.
  6. do at least 1 activity every single day, even if it's a 3 mile recovery walk.
  7. do enough resistance training to maintain your muscle and more if you want to build muscle.
  8. push yourself if you are not doing a recovery activity.
  9. do impact activities properly, because we have evolved for impact, and our joints need impact to stay healthy.
  10. eat a well balanced healthy diet (all the food groups), and cut down on the junk food (moderation).
  11. don't starve your body or it will not be able to do all the things listed above.

These are some of the "old school" methods that have worked for me, and should work for anyone.

We all have hearts, lungs, muscles, joints, etc..., so unless someone has a certain condition, this should work.

There are really no shortcuts to getting back in shape, and if you think you are doing cardio, yet are hardly breathing heavy, you're not.

I have an "old school" motto...

If you ain't huffing and puffing and sweating, you ain't doing it right.

As far as diet goes, i look at diet as what i eat, not a particular "name" of a certain diet. It is already know that well over 90% of diets fail long term, and that is why i believe that exercise is equally important to maintain a healthy weight. Most people eat too much and don't exercise enough.

Is anyone else "old school"?

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    I have an "old school" motto...

If you ain't huffing and puffing and sweating, you ain't doing it right.

When I used to run a lot, before knee surgery, one of my favorite mottos was similar only a little more hardcore:

If you don't crawl through the door, you still have more; give it everything you've got!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited October 2018
    rsclause wrote: »
    I used to be a no pain no gain kind of guy and then two events changed me. I was doing some overhead shoulder presses and damaged my rotator cuff so that I cannot even throw a piece of gum away overhand. That caused me to stop lifting for awhile and start running. Day one 3 miles, day two my knees were crying. When I slowly built up knees were fine and can run half marathons without knee pain. When I started back on weights I did a week with almost nothing for weight and slowly am adding to it. As I get older (56) I focus on not getting hurt and staying fit.

If you note that I mentioned my motto was before knee surgery, I learned a similar lesson. I was 5655 when I had that surgery done, BTW, so yeah at about that age... :wink:
    EDIT - Had to come back and correct myself; 55 was the knee operation. I was 56 for the shoulder...
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    I am "old school" - and not intentionally. At age 63 I started taking boxing lessons - and the workouts my Coach gives me are all stuff from my grade school days - jumping jacks, jumping rope, push-ups, squat thrusts (now they are called burpees -LOL) and the like. What's old is new again...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I don't believe in "no pain, no gain". I'd say "no challenge, no gain".

In my world, being active is and should be fun (among other things, such as energizing and health-promoting).

Pain is not - for psychologically sound people - fun. Challenge is fun. Even a bit of temporary discomfort to hit a goal can be fun, to see what I can accomplish.

But pain? Nope.

Here are some fun quotes from Teton Gravity.

Type I fun is fun the entire time you're doing it. It never sucks, you're never glad it's over, and just want it to keep going on and on.

Eligible activities: Riding powder, riding slush, drinking cocktails on a boat, lift-served or shuttle-assisted mountain biking, really anything lift-served, fly fishing, aprés.

Type II fun sucks the entire time you are doing it, but you are excited to either brag about it at the bar later or look back on it and value it as a character-building episode. People in the Tetons love it for both reasons.

Eligible activities: Mountain running, randonee racing, Tough Mudders, ski mountaineering when all you get to ski is rotten snow and/or ice, hiking the Appalachian or Pacific Crest trails. For Teton locals, see The Grand Teton Picnic, in which participants bike 20 miles, swim 1.3 miles across Jenny Lake, hike 7,000 vertical feet to the top of the Grand Teton... then do the entire thing in reverse.

Ernest Shackleton practically invented Type III fun during his failed 1914 expedition to cross Antartica.

Type III fun is never fun while you're doing it, you often feel your life is threatened, certain doom is usually at hand, and half the time it ends in a harrowing rescue. Afterwards, you swear to never attempt anything similar ever again.

Eligible activities: Failed polar expeditions, Apollo 13, sailing around the world solo, anything described in a Jon Krakauer novel, ....

I was holding it together until I got to the Jon Krakauer novel part at the end, now I'm laughing at my desk.