What do you do about being hungry?

mtdb8
mtdb8 Posts: 65 Member
edited October 2018 in Getting Started
So I only went 67 calories over instead of 500 like I normally do but I was hungry all day and I'm still hungry now. What do you do about that?

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    Do you know why you keep going over? Is your deficit too large? Are you adjusting your macros to find what's more filling?
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    The first couple weeks of a diet I just power through it and accept being hungry. Typically, after about 2 weeks I adjust to the lower calorie amount and I’m not hungry all the time. You also start to figure out over time which foods are more satisfying and which ones aren’t and how to best space out meals - for example, I eat a big breakfast and dinner and just something small for lunch.
  • H0ckeyplaya55
    H0ckeyplaya55 Posts: 44 Member
    I have multiple smaller meals throughout the day .. make sure you’re having fibrous foods to keep you feeling full...
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Is your calorie goal too low? How many calories are you aiming for and how tall are you?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    mtdb8 wrote: »
    So I only went 67 calories over instead of 500 like I normally do but I was hungry all day and I'm still hungry now. What do you do about that?

Look at your calorie goal and macro break down.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    First off you need to work out if your calorie goal is appropriate. It might just be that you're hungry because you're not eating enough.

Other than that it's helpful to try and understand if it's really hunger, or the feeling of not being full. This is something that many who have been overweight struggle with (myself included), that being that it is okay to not feel full all the time.
  • HealthyNuMe
    HealthyNuMe Posts: 10 Member

I have you tried unsweetened iced tea. I do intermittent fasting. From time to time. Yesterday I was able to do a 24-hour fast without any pain. I drink unsweetened iced tea. It has helped me lose over 90 lb over the last few years. During my fasting times. I just sip on unsweeten Iced tea and water all day. The key for me is sipping on the tea before the hunger pings hit. It's simple to make and very inexpensive. I usually just Brew 2 tea bags and add water until the pitcher is full. And if I forget my tea at home. Most fast food places have me covered. Just order a large unsweetened iced tea and one large water. If the unsweetened tea is a tad bit to bitter I just using add a tad more water or ice and I'm able to go about my day without any hunger pain hope this helps.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Try eating five to six small meals per day or eat every 2.5 hours if you need to. Plan your meals ahead of time. It makes a big difference. Drinks lots of water. Also keep a lot of low calorie foods around. I will try and snack on a banana or an apple or grapes near bedtime if I'm hungry because there's no way I can sleep with my stomach growling.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2018

What is your height and weight?

How many lbs a week are you set up to lose?

Are you hitting your protein, fat, and fiber goals?

Are you eating any of your exercise calories?

What types of foods do you typically eat? (Or you can temporarily make your diary public so we can see)
  • lowcarbmale
    lowcarbmale Posts: 145 Member
    edited October 2018
    When I'm hungry, I actually need to *eat* something. Like food. I'm a person who doesn't find fats satiating, but especially so when in liquid form.

That's ok. Nobody has to that oil. It is not a very well known supplement but you might have heard about it indirectly through bulletproof coffee. That's the oil they are using.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    I find going the route of eating smaller meals more frequently throughout the day helps me when I am getting back into my healthy choices. I also just kind of 'grin and bear it' - I try to distract myself.
  • Dawnvt23
    Dawnvt23 Posts: 2 Member
    I drink water. I read somewhere that your body can confuse the difference between being hungry and thirsty. Usually works for me...probably because I'm filling up on water. lol
  • swatson99
    swatson99 Posts: 53 Member
    Water, fiber, protein and healthy fats are your friends. In the right amounts they will stave off your hunger.

You have to also monkey around with your calories goal. I first set my goal at losing 2 lb per week (1500 calories), but it wasn't achievable because I was weak, hungry and had headaches. So I changed my goal to 1 1/2 lb per week and just that slight raise to 1800 calories has made all the difference in how I feel and the funny thing is I'm still losing 2+ pounds per week! On the days when my activity is high and it adds deficit calories to my total I sometimes eat more than 1800 if I'm hungry that particular day. Weight loss is steady so I'm happy.