Confession about how I eat and how do I fix it?

Options
mtdb8
mtdb8 Posts: 65 Member
Ok, so I'm going to confess something about how I eat. I eat like a child;white bland fatty fried and sweet.

I have highly sensitive taste buds. I know the red m&m by taste alone. That's also why I dont drink coffee, tea or alcohol. Much too bitter. And the smell isn't much better.

Whole wheat stuff tastes like cardboard. Vegitables taste worse than coffe. When i make lunches featuring these things, I prefer to skip lunch and go hungry rather than actually eat them.

I'm genuinely allergic to berries, melons, citrus fruits pepper and most other spices. They make throat itch and my lips tingle.

So what on earth can I possibly eat? I'm frustrated because my own tastebuds and allergies are working against me. I'm not sure how I'm going to do this, but I've bearly started.

Anyone have any advice?

Replies

• mtdb8
    mtdb8 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks. That is good advice. :)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Try introducing a new food one food at a time. Maybe set a goal that you will try one new food every 2 weeks. Prepare it in a variety of ways to find how it tastes best for you. Give each new food a few attempts before you decide you don't like it.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Although your diet doesn't sound super healthy you can still lose weight eating those things you just have to eat less of them. Watch your calories and something I learned on my journey was that when I was really hungry things I didn't used to like tasted good. Take your time, you don't need to change everything all at once.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    " I eat like a child;white bland fatty fried and sweet." - cutting down on fried food is a good idea, but there's nothing wrong with the other things listed. We need fat in our diet.

Can you give us a list of what you currently eat? Or maybe what an average day looks like? No need to be embarrassed; it's just food.

Do you have a food scale? Start weighing and logging everything you currently eat for a week or two and then you can get an idea of where small, sustainable changes can be made.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're a super taster, which means you have slightly different genetics from most people, making you more sensitive to bitter tastes. My husband is one too. He also hates that "red food coloring" taste.

You don't have to try to eat things you hate. If you want to lose weight, start by skipping the fried foods - they have a lot of calories. Try roasted foods instead. My husband likes most legumes, which are pretty healthy. Try different breads, they don't all taste like cardboard. Sweet potatoes, squashes, pumpkin. Pears and apples, peaches and plums and other stone fruit, if you aren't allergic. There's not a thing in this world wrong with corn and potatoes, eaten in moderation. Keep trying foods, keep the ones you like, and don't stress over the rest.

My mom is a supertaster and that is the first thing I thought of reading this post. She can taste if a mug had coffee in it even if it's been thoroughly washed. If you think you might be one forgive yourself for not liking certain things, you were just dealt a very weird sensory hand! There are a lot of resources out there for healthy "kid-friendly" meals, there's no reason you can't use those recipes for yourself. Skinnytaste has a kid-friendly tag (I don't really know why she has shellfish under it but plenty of others are more typical kid food).

https://www.skinnytaste.com/recipes/kid-friendly/
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    I am married to a supertaster, and will second what @lizcarpenter146 said about sugar. He has had that exact experience, that cutting way back on sugar changed how food, including vegetables, tasted to him in a good way.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    You might want to invest in an air fryer. You can make your own lower calories version of the fried foods you like.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add as you seem to have been given some great advice. Just wanted to say this is what I love about MFP. No matter what questions are asked there will always be someone on here with insights and advice. MFP people are amazing. <3<3<3

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    For now just "eat like a child;white bland fatty fried and sweet", but accurately log everything you eat and stick to your calorie target.

This may be hard (if not impossible at first) but what it will give you is information that you can use to make the small changes you need to start losing the weight. Small adjustments can have big results.
    You'll start to avoid some of those really calorie dense foods because they're too "expensive" when you track them. You'll start to eat smaller portions of some foods so that you can meet your calorie target. You'll start finding substitutions for some foods that are less calorific and switch to them.

Keep making changes, adjustments and substitutions and you'll start regularly logging a calorie deficit and the weight will start to come off.

The next challenge is to manage expectations. It's gonna take time, months of not years. Unless it's absolutely necessary don't set a target date, this isn't a race. Continue to make your weight go down more often than it goes up and you'll be achieving your goal.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    My son is a super taster, so I understand. I’m thinking, why not just eat what you like and what tastes good to you in quantities that fit into your calorie goal. Whatever we do to lose really needs to be sustainable or we don’t stick with it.
    The nice thing about the MyFitnessPal way is that it’s completely customizable to individual needs, tastes, etc.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    It takes 20 tastes to start to like something.
    I suggest cooked veg over raw as they will be less bitter. Add butter and salt. You can always modify later.
    Or you can do what my kid does and subsist on pretty much only yogurt...
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I'd just try cutting out the worse things that are on your diet like the fried foods, try grilling instead and use a good marinade on them or even roasting in the oven. If you have to put them in oil skip the flour or egg batter if you use that on your foods and fry in EVOO. When you have french fries do them in the oven not in a deep fryer. Have you tried cooking veggies a different way? Like sautee some onions and peppers together in EVOO and eat over your chicken or steak. You don't have to stop eating the stuff you like, just don't eat as much of it and stay within your calories for the day. I would really try to limit the candies. That's not good for teeth in addition to your weight. Add on some work outs or walking and you should be fine.