Knowledge of the Human body.

Options
2»

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I did my degree in human evolution and paleopathology, and am a trained rowing coach, so have a good working knowledge of human evolution in terms of what we are designed to eat, life span and the effect of diet and lifestyle on human growth, bones, teeth and hair. I don't know a huge amount about cellular biology, as we didn't cover that in depth past A-level.

I know a fair amount about skeletal structure (of mammals), and effective training for rowing, but not other sports.

Oh man, cool degrees! I was really interested in pathology in undergrad. If I could get multiple degrees, I would get my current one, something with pathology, something about epigenetics, and something with forensics. Maybe when I turn 60 and can go to college for free, I'll dabble.

I've done a U-turn and am doing my Masters in Medieval archaeology. I feel like a sell out.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I did my degree in human evolution and paleopathology, and am a trained rowing coach, so have a good working knowledge of human evolution in terms of what we are designed to eat, life span and the effect of diet and lifestyle on human growth, bones, teeth and hair. I don't know a huge amount about cellular biology, as we didn't cover that in depth past A-level.

I know a fair amount about skeletal structure (of mammals), and effective training for rowing, but not other sports.

Oh man, cool degrees! I was really interested in pathology in undergrad. If I could get multiple degrees, I would get my current one, something with pathology, something about epigenetics, and something with forensics. Maybe when I turn 60 and can go to college for free, I'll dabble.

I've done a U-turn and am doing my Masters in Medieval archaeology. I feel like a sell out.

Medieval Archaeology? You just gained earned a truckload of bonus points with me. I'm no expert on the subject but I love Medieval history and almost awlays am reading something on the subject.
  • fteale
    Options

Medieval Archaeology? You just gained earned a truckload of bonus points with me. I'm no expert on the subject but I love Medieval history and almost awlays am reading something on the subject.

That was what made me decide to do it. I found myself constantly reading about the subject and eventually gave in and decided I needed to get a proper background in the area.
  • annaasun
    annaasun Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses people. I have high respect for people who better themselve with continuing education. This was just towards one of my friends I was trying to help but insisted I was wrong. wasnt directing it to anyone else. I apologize if it came off as mean or insensitive. I defiiniatly dont know everything but the more you know the better :)
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

That was what made me decide to do it. I found myself constantly reading about the subject and eventually gave in and decided I needed to get a proper background in the area.
    I'd probably do something like that but then my wife would probably kill me for getting a degree that I probably wouldn't find work with. Particularly given I already have two degrees , one a Master's, that do have a good job market. I would get a massive bert stare from my wife if I told here I wanted to go back to school for Medieval Archaeology.

bertstare_xlarge.jpeg
  • fteale
    Options
    I've been at home for 6 years looking after small children so I think my husband's just happy I'm doing something that may get me back into the job market one day!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i work in psychiatry. on a work and education level, i'd be keen to look further into epigenetics and the effects this has on the brain and with mental illness.i think mental health stuff is needed here more than cellular biology, physics, blah blah blah.
    when i want my ego massaged about how fabulously well i've been educated i'll look at my certificates. most people don't know what i do because for me it's just not relevant here. when i want to remind how good i am at my actual job, i'll go and see my clients.

people here just know *kitten*. they've been through it and i'd take the advice of someone that's been there or seen it work repeatedly, over the advice of someone that spouts studies but has seen jack *kitten*.

and i wouldn't take advice off someone that's so young that half of my underwear is older than them.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Special Snowflake Syndrome: ALERT.

:laugh:

This.