Counting without working out

Options
Hi do you guys suggest counting macros if you don’t really do much activity? I put that into the calculator and my goal weight at 1 lb per week. Anyone in the same boat see results?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I didn't exercise during the majority of my weight loss this time around. I watched my macros because experimentation showed me that I felt better and it was easier to keep a deficit when I was getting at least enough protein and fat. My previous way of eating while staying low calorie was probably about 80% C - 10% P - 10% F. MFP's default of 50% C - 20% P - 30% F worked much better for my satiety.
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don’t exercise at all and I’ve lost a lot of weight in a short period of time (15 and a half pounds in like 5 weeks).
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Macros won't directly impact your ability to lose weight, so in the strictest sense, there is no need to track them if your goal is basic weight loss.

However, macros can play a big role your ability to stick to your diet. Different macros can be more or less satisfying than others, and can be set to reflect preferences in eating (the closer they line up to your normal preferences, the easier it will likely be to adhere to your diet). So there can certianly be some benefit to tracking them.

It's mostly up to your personal preference and what does or doesn't work for you. But as the amused one mentioned earlier... calories matter most. Plain and simple.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    It's truly all about calories. I try to reach my protein goals but other than that it is CICO for me all the way. I have been injured and haven't exercised (except daily walking) since June and I've lost weight the whole time.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I dropped 60 lbs without checking macros and without exercising, other than occasional walks. I didn't even take the stairs at work for the longest time. I had a lot of knee and back pain going on.

Just make sure to adjust your calories as you lose weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I lift weights, but that's not why I track macros - I get fuller faster on more slightly protein, when I hit my fiber goal, and when I have slightly less carbs, so I keep an eye on this in order to be able to have a calorie deficit without being miserable. Exercise calories help with that as well.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    As long as you maintain a caloric deficit.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/lose-weight-without-exercise/
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I'm closing in on 40kg lost now. I wouldn't know my macros from my backside. I have no medical reason to watch them, no performance goals that would require tracking them and don't find one particularly more filling than the others.

Of course you need a minimum amount of the correct macros for long term health.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I'm closing in on 40kg lost now. I wouldn't know my macros from my backside. I have no medical reason to watch them, no performance goals that would require tracking them and don't find one particularly more filling than the others.

Anybody eating anything remotely resembling a balanced diet will most likely do fine in that regard.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't really pay attention to macros at all and have lost weight. It's all calories.

I do think working out makes it easier because I can eat more and it feels good to me, but there have been weeks where my (desk) job has been demanding and I haven't gone to the gym, and still lost on schedule.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Anybody eating anything remotely resembling a balanced diet will most likely do fine in that regard.

True, but the OP says they're really doing much activity so does't sound like real interested in long term health. May well not be interested in eating anything remotely resembling a balanced diet either.

Not always, but often go together.
  • siobhanaoife
    siobhanaoife Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The accepted rule of thumb I keep getting told is 1% of your bodyweight is generally fine, to ignore any initial large weight drop in calculating that percentage as people often lose a rush of water weight up front, and that the acceptable rate of loss can be higher for seriously obese people, who should work with a doctor if they're losing faster than that 1%/week.

No reason to assume that 15 pounds in 5 weeks is inappropriate, it could easily fall into the above, which gets trotted out on the regular around here.
  • siobhanaoife
    siobhanaoife Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, @FutureMrsCarver89, you're doing great. I've lost 185 pounds so far, I know where you're coming from.