Apple Question

cee23693
cee23693 Posts: 3 Member
What is the best way to keep sliced apples from turning brown. I've read that you can use lemon juice and other liquids, but I don't want to be tasting lemon when eating an apple!

Replies

• kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    A little lemon juice or fruit fresh mixed in a water bath instead of directly applied to the fruit makes it less tart
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    edited October 2018
    Agreed. Lemon juice mixed in a water bath is the best way. Don't remember the exact proportions, but it can probably be easily found on the web, and it doesn't really change the flavor.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    I use a combined apple slicer corer (it looks like "*" with a hole in the middle).

I put my apple back together and then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap (like saran wrap) and the apple stays mostly un-oxidized (not brown).

• dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    I cut mine and leave it all together and hold it tight with a rubber band and plastic wrap.
  • fesha1228
    fesha1228 Posts: 2 Member
    Lemon Juice mixed with water works. Otherwise pineapple juice works as well.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    I've heard potato water works as well. If you happen to have some lying around. I don't boil that many potatoes myself.
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Cortland apples don't oxidize as quickly as other varieties. Try them instead.
  • Mykatet
    Mykatet Posts: 54 Member
    I squeeze straight lemon juice on mine. I like the extra taste it give the apples too.
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Pineapple juice
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great ideas!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    cee23693 wrote: »
    What is the best way to keep sliced apples from turning brown. I've read that you can use lemon juice and other liquids, but I don't want to be tasting lemon when eating an apple!

Some varieties of apples will brown less quickly - https://www.healwithfood.org/best-apple-varieties/non-gmo-apples-that-dont-brown-easily.php