does sugar make you gain or keep fat?

Options
I’ve been in a calorie deficit, and my macros are all good. But i still am looking a little chubby. Is it the sugar? between fruits and halo top i’m getting about 75-90 grams of sugar. which is very very much. But i used to consume like 140 grams of sugar a day. Is this the reason i’m keeping fat? I’m a lower weight than i once was but look about the same.

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I’ve been in a calorie deficit, and my macros are all good. But i still am looking a little chubby. Is it the sugar? between fruits and halo top i’m getting about 75-90 grams of sugar. which is very very much. But i used to consume like 140 grams of sugar a day. Is this the reason i’m keeping fat? I’m a lower weight than i once was but look about the same.

If you're in a calorie deficit, you're going to lose fat regardless of what you're eating.

Your macros (what you're eating) will determine health, satiety and help with body composition).
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    As stated above sugar only causes you to gain weight if you are in a surplus overall. Now, that stated, it can be easy to over eat on added sugars, as they can be calorically dense. Most things that people think of as "sugar" also comes with a healthy dose of calorie dense fat. Let's do a comparison. 200gram sweet potato... roughy 180cals. 4/5ths of a snickers is roughly the same. The sweet potato is mostly carbs... aka sugar. Snickers has added sugars, but healthy dose of fat.