sparkling water

Options
2»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Perrier and similar sparkling water is for gin and tonic, which will cure a migraine in 20 minutes, but will get me a strange look from most bartenders. Apparently women don't drink gin and tonic often.

I wouldn't say women don't drink gin & tonic often. Maybe the strange look is because you are ordering a "gin and tonic" with no tonic. Sparkling water is lower calorie so may be a good choice if you are watching your calorie intake, but is not the same as tonic.

Don't forget, The Queen Mum had a G&T (or two) pretty much every day until her death at something like 102 or 103. Women do drink them. I agree, the funny look was probably because you ordered a G&T but then asked for something other than the T part.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water lover here. My fav- Galvanina from Rome. I started drinking it during the epic hot summers in Italy when it’s 95 at dusk and even water from the fontana seems warm. Has a nice crisp taste. 😋 v9xpkonrba74.jpeg

• mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm a Perrier lover--just plain no flavor.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    SELTZER IS LIFE. Cheap, bubbly, refreshing, and not syrupy-sweet like other carbonated things.
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Seltzer here too. I have a corny keg rig so I can make it in 5 gallon batches. My step-mom loves to drink quinine water (aka tonic), says it helps her not get leg cramps. I make tonic syrup and other mixers.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Perrier and similar sparkling water is for gin and tonic, which will cure a migraine in 20 minutes, but will get me a strange look from most bartenders. Apparently women don't drink gin and tonic often.

I wouldn't say women don't drink gin & tonic often. Maybe the strange look is because you are ordering a "gin and tonic" with no tonic. Sparkling water is lower calorie so may be a good choice if you are watching your calorie intake, but is not the same as tonic.

Don't forget, The Queen Mum had a G&T (or two) pretty much every day until her death at something like 102 or 103. Women do drink them. I agree, the funny look was probably because you ordered a G&T but then asked for something other than the T part.

Yeah, that. Tonic is a specific thing, a kind of soda pop that tastes like quinine. (I like it, but it's too sweet without the gin and lime.) Ordering a G&T with soda instead of tonic is like ordering a rum and coke with 7-up, not coke. People would look at you funny.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Yeah I can't stand it either. What I do is put like 2 oz of mango or cranberry juice in a glass and fill it up with sparkling water. I can't drink it plain though.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Some of the brands and flavors I have tried are delicious. Others are horrible. Our favorite is black cherry sparkling water in one liter bottles from Kroger.

On another note, I am really enjoying spiked seltzer as a way to fit in alcohol when socializing or after a long day to relax.
  • earlnabby
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Some of the brands and flavors I have tried are delicious. Others are horrible. Our favorite is black cherry sparkling water in one liter bottles from Kroger.

On another note, I am really enjoying spiked seltzer as a way to fit in alcohol when socializing or after a long day to relax.

Aren't you thinking of Kroger's "Sparkling water beverage" (flavored and sweetened). Those are frequently referred to as clear soda, not sparkling water. Generally "sparkling water" is another name for seltzer. I get the Kroger Black Cherry too as well as the same thing from Aldi. Best tasting of the bunch.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "meh, can take it or leave it" camp. I don't love it, but I don't hate it. I certainly wouldn't use it a replacement for plain water because it isn't the same. I get thirsty, I pour a glass of water, and I keep chugging it until my thirst is satisfied. Can't do that with sparkling water.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am in the hate it camp. Picked up a bottle of Tesco sparkling spring water with vanilla and cherry thinking it would be ok but no it was still awful. Like another poster said, tastes like Alka-Seltzer very strange.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I love Pellegrino with a wedge of lime. Usually with dinner.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I like a lot of them. The "hard core" seltzers with an insane amount of carbonation bloat me and I have to burp about every 5 swallows. I prefer the ones with a little less gas.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I like a lot of them. The "hard core" seltzers with an insane amount of carbonation bloat me and I have to burp about every 5 swallows. I prefer the ones with a little less gas.

That is the beauty of a SodaStream. Not only do you save money and it is better for the environment but you control how much carbonation goes into your water.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I love sparkling water. I’m talking about regular water that is carbonated, not mineral water, which I think is nasty. Although I sometimes add lemon juice to it, I really enjoy it plain. Sadly, I am too frugal to buy it often, as I can drink a lot of water. I just drink tapwater that I filter at home.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

That is the beauty of a SodaStream. Not only do you save money and it is better for the environment but you control how much carbonation goes into your water.

Sometimes I will open a bottle and it immediately starts beading gas like crazy inside and I will know it is one of the "hard core" type, so I set it down hard in the sink and let it overflow, then wipe it off and drink it. Kind of hard to do in the car, though...