Weight loss & Toning/Muscle

Options
Hi Guys,

I want to lose atleast 3 stone but i do want to tone my body and have a bit of muscle. I do Cardio 4 times a week. 1 hour session. So my question is do i do cardio and strength training while losing weight or stick to cardio and then when ive lost 3 stone of weight do strength training after?

Thanks

Replies

• catsbfit
    catsbfit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    Lift. Now. You can start with a full-body beginner routine.

I regret starting way too late, when I was already at my goal weight.

Will resistance bands and squats be enough? Or do i have to buy some weights?

• SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    catzzm9768 wrote: »

Depends what your goals are, I think. Why just squats and not other bodyweight exercises too?

I had the luck of being able to snatch two unused and forgotten adjustable dumbbells from my husband. They did me good! Then I added a barbell and a bench.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    weights are not required depending on what your goals are. some strength training will help keep your muscle mass as you lose weight.

i do bodyweight work for strength, some use hand weights, or kettle bells, or resistance bands. weights are also a good option. whatever you want to do
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options

There are bodyweight programs (it's best to follow a well-designed program rather than just try to invent one ;) ). The bodyweight programs usually can be done at home with no or very minimal equipment. If you keep going for quite a while with bodyweight and progressions within it, you may eventually reach a point where you need equipment for continuing progress, but that's well into the future for most people.

This is a good, informative thread; despite its title, it does include bodyweight programs as well as weight-lifting programs:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

I did The RBG Workout: How She Stays Strong . . . and You Can Too! with just resistance bands and low weights for 11 months or so and am really glad I finally sprung for heavier weights.

You might be able to get some weights on craigslist or freecycle.org.
  • lettymartine
    lettymartine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’ve been wondering the same thing as the OP. What I’m confused about though is calorie requirements. When researching this before I read that lifting/building muscle requires either maintenance calories or a slight surplus to fuel muscle growth, whereas fat loss obviously requires a calorie deficit. I took this to mean the two are basically mutually exclusive, explaining why lots of people seem to lose the body fat before switching up their calorie intake to support their new goal to gain muscle.

Does anyone have any more information on this? Would love to get an answer once and for all!
  • kimmurden1
    kimmurden1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’ve been wondering the same thing as the OP. What I’m confused about though is calorie requirements. When researching this before I read that lifting/building muscle requires either maintenance calories or a slight surplus to fuel muscle growth, whereas fat loss obviously requires a calorie deficit. I took this to mean the two are basically mutually exclusive, explaining why lots of people seem to lose the body fat before switching up their calorie intake to support their new goal to gain muscle.

Does anyone have any more information on this? Would love to get an answer once and for all!

Muscle toning is muscle building, but muscle building isn't necessarily toning. Just like a square is a rectangle but a rectangle isn't a square. Anytime you increase muscle tone, you're going to increase your muscle size. ... it is a workout that not only builds muscle/strength but also sheds the fat.

Muscle building, in the form of body building, is a very complicated nutrition process of build and cut. You can really use the information associated with that type of goal and apply it to everyday health and fitness. Just my thoughts.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

If you lift when losing weight, you will mostly retain the muscle you have (in some cases you can build but it depends on certain factors and is usually not as significant as a surplus obviously). I do this when I am cutting, so I lift in a deficit to retain muscle and look more defined. In order to actually grow in size, a surplus is the most optimal way. But with that comes some fat gain. Therefore it is recommended that people start off fairly lean before a bulk in order to have better muscle to fat gain ratio, as well it is more comfortable to put on weight when you start off leaner.
    You can also gain muscle in maintenance, it can take quite a bit of time though.

In the end start lifting no matter what.. just tailor your intake based on your current goals.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Toning is one of those vague terms that means different things to different people. For a lot of people, it's actually revealing the muscles by removing the fat and gaining endurance to feel stronger - not get winded keeping up with a hiking group or whatever. Cardio does work for that goal. For best results there needs to be some full body cardio, like rowing or circuit training, in the mix and a reasonable (not too fast) rate of weight loss.
    For others, toning does mean building muscle but not bulking up like a body builder. This does require strength training and is extremely difficult to do while in a deficit.