How Many Days Do You Exercise?

Options

Replies

• HeathieM
    HeathieM Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy three times a week and count my house cleaning and yard work as activity because it's more than just sitting on the couch or at my computer which i do quite a bit. Not willing to hurt myself to be thin, plus trying to make a lifestyle switch that is going to be sustainable over the long term is super important so i'm trying not to add things to my daily routines that i'm not comfortable with doing forever. If that means i lose weight slowly i'm fine with that bc it's better for avoiding loose skin anyhow : )
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    sophia162 wrote: »
    I mean, we have to take these comments with a pinch of salt.

I was impressed with people commiting to getting a workout/activity in every day, but I have the common sense to know they're not going full-out, hard-core, down and dirty every single day. That's just unsustainable.

It was pretty clear from the replies that people meant they got a walk, a light jog, some light cardio, yoga, stretching, a nice dance... something on the more mellow days.

Welllll . . . maybe, in this thread . . . but I can't be sure. I'm not elite, but I've known some. They're hard core every day, but intelligently so: Varying duration, intensity, modality, to manage training and rest for particular physiological systems. Even the NCAA Div I rowers I know are going hard most days, and I wouldn't even call them truly elite.

What's sustainable depends very much on fitness level.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Every day, but it took a while to work up to that. I started out being completely sedentary.

I'd also like to mention since there's been conversation about considering walking exercise or not that there's walking and there's *brisk* walking for extended lengths of time. There's a difference.

I take a daily very brisk 4mph 5 mile walk every morning. During the rest of the day, I casually stroll quite a bit more at a slower pace. I lift weights 2-3 days a week.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Depends on the season
    Winter I'm most active as I participate in winter sports. This year I'm curling in 3 leagues and practice at least once or twice a week and I try to skate at least twice a week. I will maybe do a couple more runs and then it's too cold. So I guess I'm a 5-7 days a eel exerciser
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Six days a week harder and on my rest day I'll walk two strong dogs that like to pull a mile or two.
  • ZDandy
    ZDandy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    4-6 times a week. I do two bootcamp/Warriors classes per week, strength training with a trainer one-on-one once a week, try to do a mile in the pool twice a week and yoga on Friday nights. And most weekends in the fall through Spring, I try to do a few miles on a trail.
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    7 days active -- averaging 9 miles a day. Walk, Tai Chi, cardio classes 3Xs per week at gym. Can't do weights anymore do to old lady issues. 69 years old. Average 20K+ steps per day (includes all exercise). I'll rest when I'm dead.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I exercise nearly every day of the year but I don't train every day.
    Most of my training is cycling and strength training with the balance between the two changing depending on the seasons and upcoming events.

Very rarely take rest days but I do manege my recovery - rest is a form of recovery but not the only kind.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I so 4 days of cardio & weights and three days of walking for about 50 min. When I was doing 5 days of cardio and weights I found it was too much for me.
  • KungfuPandin
    KungfuPandin Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Damn people are active :O im working out 3-5 days a week, mostly jiu jiutsu practices and my body already feels exhousted all the time....

Jiu jiutsu is a serious workout! I don't do jiu jiutsu I do a different M.A but have done in the past with Brazilian.. very intense and challenging sport. Not to be underestimated at all.. I used to crash very hard after training.
  • KungfuPandin
    KungfuPandin Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I average 2 rest days. Right now I'm fighting a viral infection with chronic asthma so I'm resting a lot and doing light activity.

Normally I run every other day , kettle bells bar and free weights for resistance , rowing on the other days. I'm trying to to more resistance training on the days I rest from running. Recently I strapped my 3yr old son in the child seat of my mountain bike and it was a whole new level of intensity to my normal ride, he likes the hills because there are cows.. so it's not a flat ride.. but his extra input is a game changer 🤣. I can only do this once a week right now.
    I also train in Martial arts, would love more time but I'm a mum and need to share with husband who is also M.A.

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I cycle every day (not far, roughly 40 miles per week), lift heavy 3 - 4 times per week. Sometimes to relax I get a fast 4.5 mile walk in (or if I need extra cardio)...I substituted my Sunday swim for strongman event training for the last 4 months...will go back to the swim December time, deciding what programme to follow next year post competition(s)...am cutting out one day of weight training for mountain biking for the next 3 weeks...I am 44, work in care, so am fairly active before exercise...
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I'll have 10K steps as a minimum per day as exercise I haven't missed a day in over 200 days and it is pretty hard some (rest) days to get there. Also as I have a desk job in a small office. But at the same time It is now routine to go for a walk after work and on rest days to do my shopping on foot (better for the environment and myself)

But on op the steps requirement, I have given myself, I cycle to work 10-11 km each way 3-4 a week. I run 3-4 times per week averaging 25-35 km a week depending on where I am on my training and with holidays. I have a 30 min morning routine with weights and other strength excessive I do that 4-5 a week. So far this year it looks as if I may just be short of 900 km running and 3 000 km cycling.
    Currently I fit in quite a bit of long distance hiking again as I am walking the Pieterpad with a friend

Due to business travel and other work requirements I can't hold the same schedule every week but I average 11-13 hours of exercise a week these days. I do make it a priority to schedule as much as I can in yet at the same time being pragmatic and taking sufficient rest.
    Getting to this schedule has taken quite a bit of build up and time as I have asthma. When I started 5 years ago I simply started by walking walking and more walking
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    7 days a week. I'm on a running streak so I run at least 1.5 miles every day.
    I also have 5xPT sessions a week, strength train 3x week
    Do a fast 5km, hill sprints, speed training and a long run once a week.
    And go to up to 11 high intensity classes.
  • NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    6 days a week... mostly yoga and cardio and 2 weight days thrown in
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    I would like to thank everyone for all the responses, and leave you all with this thought.

BOOT CAMP!!!

When i joined the army in 1983, i was not in that good a shape. I could barely run around the block, and could do maybe 25 pushups and 25 situps.

Throughout my basic training and advanced training they kicked our butts 24/7. We did so many pushups one day, we pushed Oklahoma into Texas. :) They got mad at us for doing that, and made us turn around and push it back. :)

For about 3 and a half months they PT'd us 7 days a week. I have to say when i graduated, i was probably in the best shape of my life.

So there is something to be said about exercising every day.

~just sayin~

aoooooa!

Thank you for your service.

I joined the army in 1987 and spent several glorious months at Ft Dix NJ (I swear they trucked in sand just to mess with us). We rotated runs and PT every other day but Sunday. While we worked hard I don't recall it as being quite as intense as you remember it. Of course I was already in excellent shape and passing the PT tests was not a big deal. I was also 18 years old. 18 Year olds can get away with beating themselves up a lot more than 50+ year olds.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    BTW - I remember a thing they called "Fit Co" that was setup for those who could not pass the initial PT test. The guys that had to do that really did get their *kitten* kicked every day. I kinda felt sorry for them.