What do you do about being hungry?

Options
2»

Replies

• mtdb8
    mtdb8 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I wanted to clarify; I am on my first week, and I've gone over every day. The 67 over calorie day was the closest I've come. I've set a goal for 1lb a week. Which obviously won't happen this week. Theres no way I could continue feeling like I did that day. I dont diet, I've never dieted, so I'm not sure what do about it. Sure I'd like to loose weight, but its secondary to learning how to live a healthy lifestyle.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    mtdb8 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I wanted to clarify; I am on my first week, and I've gone over every day. The 67 over calorie day was the closest I've come. I've set a goal for 1lb a week. Which obviously won't happen this week. Theres no way I could continue feeling like I did that day. I dont diet, I've never dieted, so I'm not sure what do about it. Sure I'd like to loose weight, but its secondary to learning how to live a healthy lifestyle.

Protein, fiber and fat are satiating components. But it's a different combo for everyone. I find fat satiating, but many people don't.

1 pound a week is most appropriate if you have 15+ pounds to lose. This website gives you a calorie goal based on "pre-exercise" calories. If you exercise - log it and eat at least 50% of those calories too.

Play around with meal timing. I can easily push my breakfast back a couple hours, but others not so much. You'll get the hang of it.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

As others have said, experiment with macro percentages and meal timing to find which helps you best at keeping those hunger pangs at bay. I find eating smaller meals more frequently works best for me but others have more success doing intermittent fasting where they eat all of their food within a 6-8 hour period works better. You won't know what works best for you until you give a few methods a go - the same with your macro percentages. Also, you could try upping your calories by 100 and see if that helps. You are much better to take longer to reach your goals in a sustainable way than being too aggressive for long-term adherence and not reaching your goal at all because it becomes too hard.
  • BigGuy9898
    BigGuy9898 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Maybe drink more water? I know when i am hungry i guzzle down 3 or 4 cups and my hunger pains go away for a couple hours.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Often I just think I’m hungry, usually at night watching tv. If I’m really hungry I will make popcorn or have some carrots or a small salad.
    If I just want to eat because I’m programmed to snack, I can either just go to bed and it will pass, or I found that jumping in here on the forum and reading other people’s successes (or failures) helps to keep me out of the kitchen.
  • ellyseb1
    ellyseb1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I also find it difficult to separate the real hunger from the boredom/fake hunger. I've been trying to go have a cup of fruit or herbal tea (no milk, no sugar). It takes a while to make and drink, and give me some time to see if I'm really still hungry afterwards.
  • mtdb8
    Options
    ellyseb1 wrote: »
    I also find it difficult to separate the real hunger from the boredom/fake hunger. I've been trying to go have a cup of fruit or herbal tea (no milk, no sugar). It takes a while to make and drink, and give me some time to see if I'm really still hungry afterwards.

How can you tell the difference?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

She said... she has a cup of tea, which is time-consuming to make & sip on, and waits to see if the sensation passes or if she is genuinely hungry. Generally, we can be distracted from cravings with some other activity, whereas genuine hunger makes it difficult to ignore.

But as has been said, the first thing to rule out when it comes to hunger is whether a person is eating at a calorie level that is appropriate for their height, weight, and activity level.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

She said... she has a cup of tea, which is time-consuming to make & sip on, and waits to see if the sensation passes or if she is genuinely hungry. Generally, we can be distracted from cravings with some other activity, whereas genuine hunger makes it difficult to ignore.

But as has been said, the first thing to rule out when it comes to hunger is whether a person is eating at a calorie level that is appropriate for their height, weight, and activity level.

Yeah, start by doing all the things suggested, and by answering the questions:

1. How much weight do you need to lose to be in a healthy weight BMI?
    2. How many calories a day do you eat?

• mtdb8
    Options
    My goal weight is still about 25 pounds higher than the recommended BMI. But I can live with that.

The app says I should be eating 1600 calories, but I seem to be averaging 2,000, except for the one day when I was starving. Hence the post.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options

Are you exercising or walking a lot? if so you also need to consider eating back exercise calories (yes even if you just walk around a lot VS "work out at the gym").

how did you set the calorie goal? Maybe re-enter your stats.

another thought if if you are cutting your calories a TON overnight you may need to consier a gradual reduction. Ex: even if MFP recommends say 1300 calories per day (plus your exercise cals) to loose one poud per day, if you were say eating 2000 before that may be too big a drop all at once. In which case a slow reduction in cals is better even to "get used to it".

Also, different people feel different with different macros/ways of eating. I need volume so i eat a ton of natural raw veggies and such to "fill me". And higher protein. VS others prefer more fatty food (but less in quantity).
  • ellyseb1
    ellyseb1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree with Panini - veggies and high fiber/whole grains seem to fill me up and last longer than when I eat bread, chocolate, cookies. Even if it's the same number of calories, I seem to feel hungrier sooner. Not sure how much of this is in my mind!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    The first couple of weeks tend to be hard. Once you start seeing some progress you will feel more motivated which helps. Myself when hunger hits I tend to look back at what I've been eating. First off you can eat whatever you want within your calories but sometimes it doesn't stick with you as well. I usually find if I've been eating too much starch (flour, sugar, potatoes, corn, flour etc) I am craving more of the same. So I cut back and try to get more fiber (usually veggies) and protein. Sugar especially sets me off. Also sometimes I find I am actually thirsty. Make sure you are getting enough liquid. I use Kool-aid sugarless drops in my water to make it more enjoyable. One other thing that seems to help is going for a walk. For some reason I am often less hungry by the time I return. Hang in there once you get into a routine it will get easier.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Try eating more protein, it helps me feel full. It may be a different macro which satisfies you though, for others it may be different. Experiment and see what works best for you.
  • simonpaulhowell
    simonpaulhowell Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i read yesterday that your mind/body confuses hunger/thirst/fatigue...if you get hungry drink a glas of water...if youre still hungry have a protein shake...