10000 Steps and the Gym - DONE

Options
BAM! That's what I'm talking about. Of course, now I'm ready to go to sleep at 7 p.m. LOL

Week Two is complete. Onward to Week Three and making this seem easy.....still pretty worn out after a workout at this point.

But hey, first five pounds are gone - Bye Bye.....

Celebrating by trying to stay awake on the couch while watching movies with hubby.

Night ya'll!

Replies

• FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Great job! Keep it up!
  • pmg2000m
    pmg2000m Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing your first five! I was a bit tired when I first started too, but just try to let yourself get a little more sleep if possible. My energy definitely started picking up in a couple of months. Keep up the good work!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your initial progress and getting started on the path to better health! Some fatigue is normal when beginning an exercise routine. Your loss so far, 5 lbs in 2 weeks is aggressive and may contribute to
    the fatigue if you are under fueling.

Oftentimes the fast route is not the best route and a slower, more sustainable pace of loss help with maintaining energy levels. What are you stats? Height, weight and goal weight? What is your weekly weight loss goal?
  • carlaringuette
    carlaringuette Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Congrats on your initial progress and getting started on the path to better health! Some fatigue is normal when beginning an exercise routine. Your loss so far, 5 lbs in 2 weeks is aggressive and may contribute to

Oftentimes the fast route is not the best route and a slower, more sustainable pace of loss help with maintaining energy levels. What are you stats? Height, weight and goal weight? What is your weekly weight loss goal?

I am 5'8" currently fluctuating between 192 and 195 I have a long way to go so I have mini goals. Most of my weight is in my abdomen. My first goal is to be in the 180's even if it's 189.9 by Thanksgiving. Weekly 1 to 2 pounds. I'm lifetime WW so I know 2 is pushing it but I'll take 1. It's not about the weight loss this time. I am 56 yrs. old and my Dad had a heart attack at 57 so I am trying to be proactive and not freak out that 57 is only 2 months away.

Have another question - am I double dipping on the exercise logging? Do I just let it take my Fit bit steps or do I log in circuit training, walking, Zumba, Yoga, etc.? Seems like the numbers are awful high.

Right now I am getting up and out the door for 5:15 a.m. to get a 45 min - 1 hour walk in then I do a 15-20 min AM Yoga DVD with my hubby and then after a quick shower & breakfast I'm off to work. On the way home from work before I have a chance to sit on the sofa or find myself mindlessly munching in the kitchen I stop at the gym and get in a Class (HIIT, Zumba or Spin) or Full body workout that the trainer gave (never two days in a row) or Cardio and alternate upper body one day/lower body the next that way when I walk through the door at the end of the day I have all my steps in and I am done. Hit the shower again and it's relax time. Then prep for the next day.
    (Lay out my walk clothes, pack my gym clothes & shoes, hang up my work clothes) Make sure I have lunch packed and dinner planned.

Weekends - gym comes first before we head out anywhere.

For me, the key to success is planning ahead and knowing how far/hard you can push.

It's also not so much a number. In the past I would have quickly said 120 lbs. in a year. Now I'll be okay with 140 or 150 as long as my arms and legs are defined and no one will even think of asking me what my due date is. LOL

My goal is to be healthy. At my age friends are starting to compare medicines and medical procedures. The only medicine I currently take is a Benadryl for allergies when they get too bad. I want to keep it that way. I stay as far away from doctors as I can.

My ultimate goal is to be Whole Food Plant Based but we have been trying to make that work for about 6 years now. The problem with that is my husband is the opposite of me and needs to gain as much as I need to loose, literally. He is 5'11" and weighs in at 135 on a good day. He does not have a gym membership and doesn't need one. We have an incentive at work that if we get in 8500 steps a day for 28 days we get a discount on our health insurance. Yesterday was the first day of the challenge - Without him doing anything out of his normal day he easily got to 6500.

Not sure if that's too much info but hopefully that answered your question.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I am 5'8" currently fluctuating between 192 and 195 I have a long way to go so I have mini goals. Most of my weight is in my abdomen. My first goal is to be in the 180's even if it's 189.9 by Thanksgiving. Weekly 1 to 2 pounds. I'm lifetime WW so I know 2 is pushing it but I'll take 1. It's not about the weight loss this time. I am 56 yrs. old and my Dad had a heart attack at 57 so I am trying to be proactive and not freak out that 57 is only 2 months away.

Have another question - am I double dipping on the exercise logging? Do I just let it take my Fit bit steps or do I log in circuit training, walking, Zumba, Yoga, etc.? Seems like the numbers are awful high.

Right now I am getting up and out the door for 5:15 a.m. to get a 45 min - 1 hour walk in then I do a 15-20 min AM Yoga DVD with my hubby and then after a quick shower & breakfast I'm off to work. On the way home from work before I have a chance to sit on the sofa or find myself mindlessly munching in the kitchen I stop at the gym and get in a Class (HIIT, Zumba or Spin) or Full body workout that the trainer gave (never two days in a row) or Cardio and alternate upper body one day/lower body the next that way when I walk through the door at the end of the day I have all my steps in and I am done. Hit the shower again and it's relax time. Then prep for the next day.
    (Lay out my walk clothes, pack my gym clothes & shoes, hang up my work clothes) Make sure I have lunch packed and dinner planned.

Weekends - gym comes first before we head out anywhere.

For me, the key to success is planning ahead and knowing how far/hard you can push.

It's also not so much a number. In the past I would have quickly said 120 lbs. in a year. Now I'll be okay with 140 or 150 as long as my arms and legs are defined and no one will even think of asking me what my due date is. LOL

My goal is to be healthy. At my age friends are starting to compare medicines and medical procedures. The only medicine I currently take is a Benadryl for allergies when they get too bad. I want to keep it that way. I stay as far away from doctors as I can.

My ultimate goal is to be Whole Food Plant Based but we have been trying to make that work for about 6 years now. The problem with that is my husband is the opposite of me and needs to gain as much as I need to loose, literally. He is 5'11" and weighs in at 135 on a good day. He does not have a gym membership and doesn't need one. We have an incentive at work that if we get in 8500 steps a day for 28 days we get a discount on our health insurance. Yesterday was the first day of the challenge - Without him doing anything out of his normal day he easily got to 6500.

Not sure if that's too much info but hopefully that answered your question.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you've got the right approach. I am a little over 10 years older than you. I turned 67 last May. I am totally on board with the whole preventative health thing and thriving as we age. I take 1 med for BPH and that's it. A few supplements. I am relatively lean and strong and feel great!

As far as logging and your Fitbit, usually the fitbit picks up all the activity. So, no need to take the additional step of logging.

Diet wise, the one thing I would suggest you are conscious of as you age and exercise is adequate protein. At least .8 grams per lb of lean body mass. I just use .8 to 1 gram per lb of body weight as a buffer and because a little more is better than not enough as we get a little older. Proteins are the building blocks of tissue, skin, hair, muscle, bone, and as such has a higher importance as we age. Also, working on keeping muscle mass. Sarcopenia, the loss of muscle mass, is one of the biggest problems people have as they age and has very negative health consequences. Adequate protein and resistance training are the ways to prevent it.