How do I stop post dinner snacking???

Options
I cannot seem to get out of this habit and it screws up all the good eating I did during the day!!! Help!!!

Replies

• jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    When I pland my food for the day, I "save" calories for an evening snack ... usually a container of low-fat Greek yogurt or a piece of fruit
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I was having that problem for quite a few months and started putting back on the pounds I worked so hard to get rid of. I just had to face reality and tell myself "no more" or you're going to be right back where you started, 60 pounds heavier and feeling miserable because of it. The thought of yet again resizing my wedding ring, going back on meds and feeling miserable, having no clothes to wear, not to mention facing people who were so supportive of me during my weight loss, and feeling guilty because I did reward myself with not one, but two trips to Maui to celebrate my success is enough to back away from the snacks.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have always just planned a snack that fits my calorie goal. I prelog my whole day so know I have enough calories for the snack.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Go and do hygenic things for a good hour then go straight to bed.
  • keelyhiggi
    keelyhiggi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wish i knew. I lost 50 pounds. Hit my goal and in the last week or so have started eating at night and gained back 5 pounds:( need to stop now before I sabotage myself!!
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I’m the same. I’ve lost 75 lbs caused by night time over snacking. I am going to be very stubborn about gaining it back. Some things I do 1) leave about 150-250 calories for a dessert after dinner. It could be cereal or an ice cream bar, or some yogurt with berries and a couple of tablespoons of granola 2) if that’s eaten and I’m still wanting to eat, I chew sugar free gum 3) if both things are eaten and I’m stilll wanting to eat, I drink a cup of decaf coffee with sweet and low and a tablespoon of half and half. That fills me up to get over the snacky feeling. It’s really a bad habit to help us feel better after a long stressful day. It takes real effort to not soothe with food, but each morning I wake up without doing it is a huge victory.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I also prelog evening calories. I like food on my stomach when I sleep.
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Definitely cut back more during the day and save some cals for an evening treat.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I save calories for an evening snack. If I don't manage to, I'll have mint tea and a square of good quality dark chocolate. If my calories are gone and I get snacky, I brush my teeth and use mouthwash, works most of the time!
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I have the same problem. This is what I like to do:

When I grocery shop, I buy my favorite delicious snacks (dark chocolate bark, hippeas cheese puffs, cheddar rice cake minis, flavored popcorn, mini cookies, etc) and as soon as I get home, I weight them, split them into 100 or 200 calorie bags, and put them in my snack bowl.

I plan my breakfast, lunch, and dinner so I have a good 300-400 calories to work with after dinner. (This means a 100 calorie breakfast and a 300-400 calorie lunch, with a dinner of 500-700 calories usually.)

Then after dinner when I inevitably want something salty, or something sweet, or something crunchy, I pick 1 or 2 of the snack bags! I log them immediately (making sure I don't take more bags than I have calories for), close out my food diary for the day, and I eat them slowly and savor them while watching TV or a movie.

I definitely try to brush my teeth or drink water right afterwards to make sure my taste-buds don't convince me to take more snack bags.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I don’t keep snack food in the house and I brush my teeth after dinner.

But nighttime snacking is the worst thing ever. If you are really struggling with not eating after dinner then save some calories for a healthy post dinner snack.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Are you eating in front of the T.V.? This was the worst habit for me. Mindless eating, I could plow thru half a bag of chips easily. Instead I get a big glass of ice water (lemon or lime wedges are nice). Then I find something (anything) that is a little bit of a distraction - crosswords, solitaire, adult coloring book, knitting....anything to keep my hands busy.
  • Copper_Boom
    Copper_Boom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    After dinner, I will floss / brush my teeth. That keeps me from snacking because it would be a nuisance to have to floss again before bed.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Plan 100 calorie snack that you can eat at night. weigh yourself..or try on your tight clothes. Brush your teeth. I find diffusing peppermint oil in my essential oil diffuser kills my appetite.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I have always just planned a snack that fits my calorie goal. I prelog my whole day so know I have enough calories for the snack.

That is exactly what I do. It works very well for me too.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with having a post dinner snack in itself. Sometimes I even have two dinners. Just make sure you budget the calories for it, and try to have it be something healthy.
  • lemonita12
    lemonita12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas, I have the same issue, thanks everyone!
  • RredSonja
    RredSonja Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Prelogging helps a lot.

Saving the chocolate protein shake or fruit for an after dinner snack helps.

Having a cut-off time for eating helps too - brush and floss your teeth at your cut-off time so eating would cause you to have to do it again before bed :)

• hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    i don't sleep well hungry or like to eat in the morning, so i have 100s of healthy snack calories before bed. most of my eating is done between noon and 8pm
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    madambra01 wrote: »
    I cannot seem to get out of this habit and it screws up all the good eating I did during the day!!! Help!!!

1. Stop labeling eating 'good'. Because then there must be 'bad' eating. So, on top of making choices that aren't beneficial to your weight loss, you then have to beat yourself up for being naughty.
    2. Take a good look at your daytime eating. Are you eating too much at night because you're not eating enough during the day? Or you're eating enough but not of things that keep you satisfied? Or are you eating too much and not leaving yourself enough calories to satisfy evening hunger? Or none of the above?
    3. If you find yourself much more able to attend to your tracking and keep eating in check earlier in the day, you may want to consider changing your 'tracking' day to start at 6 pm. This may be particularly helpful if you tend to hoard calories early in the day because you're worried about running out. I know that it is much easier for me to hold firm on a decision not to eat something earlier in my tracking day.
    4. As has been pointed out by at least one other poster, it's possible to make things worse by not having a snack and then trying to sleep while hungry. This never ends well. I have this particular trait which only means I know I need to have a snack before going to bed unless I had a late dinner. So you'll need to figure out if this applies to you.