Clean Eating

Anyone else clean eating? I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow and I have no idea where to start! Any suggestions??

Replies

• yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Shop the perimeter and avoid boxed foods.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Peppers...red, yellow and orange...I like to dip them in hummus (not sure if the hummus is considered "clean" or not)
  • dryfli
    dryfli Posts: 39 Member
    if there are no other ingredients in it but itself, its a go.
    on my list each week
    fruits
    veggies
    nuts
    chicken
    steak
    ground turkey
    shrimp
    fish.
    cheese
    eggs
    i cook from scratch, add salt pepper and spices to the above foods. keeps me healthy and my cholesterol is below 130.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Drifli's list is awesome. That is the perfect list. Make sure when you are buying veggies that they are the color of the rainbow. You need all the colors. Red, green, orange, white, yellow, etc. Same with fruit. Dont just buy bananas, buy the rainbow. And aim to eat at least 5 servings (preferably 9) a day of fruits and veggies. If you focus first on those as the staple of your diet, you can't go wrong.
  • diiiimond
    diiiimond Posts: 23 Member
    Thanks! Your advice helped alot!
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Shop the perimeter and avoid boxed foods.

This!! If you shop the perimeter....veggies, fruits, lean meats etc and dont shop the middle you almost completely eliminate processed foods
  • dryfli
    forgot a few more.
    brown rice
    lundberg wild rice blends
    quinoa
    skim milk
    buttermilk
    canned tuna/crab
    i buy local eggs, as i live in the country, high in omega 3's
    olive oil
    popcorn
    i do buy deli meats, but only stuff that is lean, and has no additives etc...
    i have celiac disease, so in a way, i am lucky i can't eat alot of processed stuff. pretty much the bread, cereal and cookie/cracker aisle is out for me.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Skip anything that's been processed.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    What kind of popcorn?? Most Microwave popcorn is loaded with crap, any suggestions for popcorn? Thanks
  • dryfli
    for popcorn i buy the dry store brand, the one with just the popcorn seeds, for 99 cents. i take a brown paper bag, a lunchbag, and put about 1/3 cup of seeds in it. i turn the open end under twice and tape it with scotch tape to seal it. i then fold the bag in 3rds, just like the microwave bags are, making sure the seeds are in the middle portion, with the empty sides going up. it should look just like a microwave bag. at this point you have to experiment. my particular microwave needs 2 min 45 secs to pop it right without burning it and popping most of the corn. a good, higher end micro might take only 2 min or 2 min 30 secs. i usually dump it into a bowl when it is done, and reuse the bag again if i am making a second batch. the bonus of doing it like this is no artificial crap and you can put on it anything you want to. like an airpopper without the gadget. and most everyone has a microwave...
  • dreaasha
    dreaasha Posts: 31
    If you're really into popcorn, invest in an air popper. It's $30 at any Target or something like that. To flavor it, I usually spray the kernels with Pam and put some salt or nutritional yeast on it. Delicious.

Also, this might be too much for you right now, as you're just getting started, but I love my juicer so much I should probably name it. Not a day goes by that I don't use it.
  • kamoira23
    kamoira23 Posts: 193
    bump... any suggestions for breads?
  • banjobaby
    banjobaby Posts: 46 Member
    a good bread choice is ezekial (sp?) bread.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    a good bread choice is ezekial (sp?) bread.
    2nd ezekiel bread. Just keep in mind it's nothing like regular bread. I like the cinnamon raisin and the tortillas. I haven't tried just regular bread, but I've read mixed reviews.

I will add I bought a waffle maker on sale and make my own waffles with real fruit instead of whatever that fake stuff is that they put in store bought blueberry waffles that don't actually contain any blueberries.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    i wish i ate "clean" but the best advice I've heard is that if it can go bad i.e. fruits and veggies it's probably the best for you.

unlike the drinks/boxed food that stays on the shelf for a long time, there's a reason it keeps, the ingredients you don't want to be eating.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    I try to eat clean at much as possible. The best advice I have is it isn't something that comes from the ground or has a mother don't eat. Or course there are lots of exceptions to is like skim milk and honey (in small amounts) I suggest you check out clean eating magazine or the Best of Clean Eating cook book, lots of great recipes. No white flour, no white sugar or fake sugars. If you are true to clean eating you find your cravings disappear and you'll have lots of more energy.
  • Howbouto
    On a side note, the longer I eat clean the more grossed out I get by processed foods. I normally buy whole wheat bread w/ minimal processing, it usually spoils within a week. I bought white hamburger buns for a cookout, 3 weeks later they were not moldy, that's not natural!! Real food should spoil!!!
  • kamoira23
    kamoira23 Posts: 193
    What about coffee or beans? If anyone has any good approved foods lists, could you send them my way? I can't find much with the resources I'm finding. I've hit a plateau and need to change it up... I'm going to slowly start to incorporate more clean foods to try to bust through it.

Thanks!
  • Howbouto
    Coffee/coffee beans are fine, black! What you put into coffee is not clean, cream and sugar are not clean. I guess you could put skim milk and honey/maple syrup/or another clean sweetner in it but I just learned to drink it black, it took me 3 weeks.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Essentially, look at the ingredients. If there is more than five ingredients, you cannot pronounce them, nor do you what they are, chances are the food in question is not "clean"