How do you keep going / stay consistent?

Options
coolbluecris
coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
edited October 2018 in Motivation and Support
I have started and given up for 16 years. When I start I last a week or two then always give up because I'm sore or tired or eat way too much. Then I just stop.

I'm 5ft2, 46yo and 210 pounds. I hate how bad I feel when I exercise. I'm heavy and clunky.

What I want to know from those of you who have lost weight is, how did you just keep going?

Replies

• veggie16mfp
    veggie16mfp Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The exercising feels better after the first few weeks. This time round I realise I can stick with it and achieve or stay in this really negative cycle of loosing, quitting and starting all over again.
    I remind myself that life will be better physically and emotionally if I just stick it out this time.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Lost 100 5 years ago and have more or less kept it off. (I usually add 15 or so back in the winter though that keeps getting harder each spring to take back off.)

There is a bunch of good advice on here I agree with. Ultimately, and this may sound trite, but as someone once said “nothing tastes as good as thin feels.” For me it is so true. I mentally cannot go back to where I was. This keeps poor choices in check.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are starting with too many changes and too high a bar to possibly maintain.

start with doable goals. an achievable calorie goal and include some foods uou LIKE ( i still have desserts and snacks thru all ny weight loss).
    ditto for exercise. in fact you don’t even need exersie but it is good to do. pick something you enjoy and don’t do it to the point of it hurting after each session. pain is not good/better. i just do daily walks now that i cannot run.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Make small changes. You don’t have to exercise at all to lose weight. Diet is the most important so start there. Count your calories, watch your portion sizes. Once you feel like you are being successful with that maybe add in some exercise you enjoy 3 times a week. Make small changes over time and you will get to your goal.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I am still on the journey almost 6 months in. I started out by logging everything I ate, that was the first thing I really did and have continued to do every day. Even if I went over my allowed totals for the day, I recorded it. My second thing was if I ate it I weighed it first. It was almost two months before I really started walking, and still that is my main way of exercise. Now I can walk faster than a snail and for a longer distance. And I read lots of the posts, that have tons of great information in them. From people who have walked this same road/journey before me. Know that you are not alone, and can always reach out for advice, just to rant/vent if you need to. It is all good.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Also by making sure you're set up properly to succeed. Have you been over-exercising when you start? Under eating? What kind of goals do you have? Both over-exercising and under eating are ways to make yourself lose your drive. I assume you're on a 1200 calorie diet and trying to exercise daily?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I started out slow, and just logged to get used to it and make it a habit. Then, I started deficit eating, and checked in weekly to make sure I was trending down. Then, after about two months, I slowed weighing to once a month, put my trust in the process of deficit eating, and put weight loss on the backburner. Weight loss is hellishly slow if you focus on the results. Instead, I focus on the process, get my accomplished feeling on a daily process (through logging) and trust that I will lose weight. This is not my first rodeo, and the first time I was super obsessed with losing to the point where it took over my life and made my life exhausting. This time around, it's been a lot easier because I don't have to worry about my weight so much, just my logging. Much less "anticipation of results" that way.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Making it simple and creating habits. Once I realized I didn't need a way of eating, things became much easier. Got a food scale, ate what I enjoy and made sure it all fit my calories. Weighing and logging became a habit; something I don't have to give much consideration to anymore.

With exercise, I found something in line with my goals and that I enjoyed and I made it part of my week.

Small, simple changes made into habits.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    so much good advice here, I really can't add to the suggestions. I can provide a personal anecdote though, maybe it will help you persevere from the start. Friend me if you want =)

When I started I had been "using" a stationary bike for almost a yr. I put "using" in quotes as I would cycle really slowly or find excuses not to do it that day. My only time to exercise is before work so if I didn't do it at the start of the day it wasn't being done...

I was talking to a friend and she suggested I try workout videos on youtube, gave me the name of her favorite trainer (Jessica Smith). I looked at the beginner, low intensity stuff and picked out a workout. I did that 3 days a week for 4 weeks. At first I didn't want to, but I told myself "it is only 30 mins, you can do this". SO grumbling and yawning I did.
    By the end of the first month I was actually, for the first time in my life, wanting to move more than the bare minimum I had set myself. So I picked another two routines, 15 mins each, and did those on my "off" week days.

I started noticing I had more energy, I was getting to work more awake and with a better attitude to tackle the day. I don't lose weight fast but the energy was worth it to me. More than once I caught myself thinking "Holy crud they were right. Exercising does give you more energy, that is so wrong but it works..."

After 3 months of my low-intensity routines I decided to follow a planned 4-week schedule with various workouts. I actually kind of look forward to working out now. Not in a gym-rat way, I still don't ever want to do that. Nor do I want to go back to the bike my hubby still uses. But I love the energy spike and feeling good about myself for doing my 30 mins a day.

TLDR: Find something that appeals to you. Just because another person has success with one workout method doesn't mean you have to do it to succeed.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I have started and given up for 16 years. When I start I last a week or two then always give up because I'm sore or tired or eat way too much. Then I just stop.

I'm 5ft2, 46yo and 210 pounds. I hate how bad I feel when I exercise. I'm heavy and clunky.

What I want to know from those of you who have lost weight is, how did you just keep going?

I didn't completely change everything all at once. It's about building good habits. Once something is a habit, like brushing your teeth or taking off your shoes as you walk in the door, you don't have to push yourself or be motivated, it just happens. Does this take longer? Of course it does. But it's better to take longer and actually make progress than to speed, crash and burn.

So first just get into the habit of logging, including logging your food before you eat it. Maybe take a walk every once and awhile if you think of it. Then start learning from your food log - what foods fill you up, what foods and drinks are a waste of calories - and start making little weekly goals. Stick to one can of soda a day, rather than two or three. Pack your lunches for the week. Take a 15 minute walk after dinner every night. One at a time, until it's a habit.

All that is REQUIRED for weight loss is to hit your calorie goal. All the specifics can help, or can make you healthier, but you don't need to do all of it all at once, in fact you don't have to do all of it ever. Read the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each board, and good luck :drinker:

This. I wish I knew this when I tried to lose weight the first time. I read an article last year that really was powerful. If you try to change just one thing at a time, you stand an 80% chance of success. If you try to change more than one thing at a time, even two things, your success percentage drops to less than 40%! Do just one thing for one or two months until it's habit. Once you feel like "I got this one thing" add in one more. It's simple that way.
  • coolbluecris
    coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am so touched and thankful for all your replies. Such beautiful words and ideas, thank you so very much to all of you. Hugs x <3
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    ... checked in weekly to make sure I was trending down. Then, after about two months, I slowed weighing to once a month, put my trust in the process of deficit eating, and put weight loss on the backburner. ...

I really like this and I think I may adopt your process. I like the idea of checking in with my deficit weekly to make sure I am truly trending down. This puts the achievement of success on numbers you can control (calories in vs calories out) instead of numbers you can't always control (the scale). The weight will come off in time but it's not the determinant of how successful you feel each day or week.