Garmin Forerunner 35 vs. 235

Options
I am officially fed up with my Fitbit Surge. When it works and syncs to the app, it's a great watch. However, that just never happens anymore. I'm ready to get something new and I've heard good things about both the FR 35 and 235, but I'm not sure if I need to spend what the 235 costs. I use my fitness watch mainly for runs and workouts at the gym. I'm working on getting faster, so a pace notification system would be good. HR and calorie burn is also needed, but other than that, I'm not a hard core triathlete or ultra marathoner. Suggestions??

Replies

• BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the 35, but I have the 235 (the regular, not the X) and I love it. I upgraded from the 220, which I only wore during runs, and I wear the 235 all the time. I think the heart rate is fairly accurate and I love that it has options for running, running indoors, biking, and "other." It really has me paying attention to my resting heart rate too. I'm far from a serious athlete or ultra marathoner. It also connects by bluetooth to my phone so I can see my texts from my wrist without having to pick up my phone to look at it. You can also program it to do intervals and tell you when to speed up/slow down for speedwork.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Never mind.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I love my 235. I mainly just use it for running and other work outs.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    When moving from ftibit, I went to a basic Garmin Forerunner 25. Price point was good without breaking my budget. Because I have no issues with this one so far (knock on wood) will upgrade to one of these at some point.
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I totally want the new Forerunner 35. It's not super complicated but it does everything I need it to do. It's a very new Garmin model released few weeks ago so I'm not sure a lot of people have it to give you a fair review. I would compare both 35 and 235 on Garmin site and DC Rainmaker reviews on his website.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I personally like the training effect and recovery advisor features that are in the 235 but not the 35, but I only trust them when I'm using a chest strap, definitely not with Garmin's Elevate sensor.

Comparison.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to feel the same about my One. The constant syncing issues are making it practically unusable and I'm thinking about switching to a Garmin
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    My husband just gave up on his Surge, too, and he's eyeing the Garmin Vivoactive HR. It seems to be comparable to the surge (or what the surge was supposed to be).
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have the 230 (which is the same as the 235 but without the optical heart rate monitor since i use a chest strap at the gym). I love it. :)
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Whatever model you get, if you are a runner, you'll love the Garmin. I also have the 230 using the chest strap HRM, but I've used the 220 as well. The 230 seems to be geared more towards running where I think other versions track other type of sports. Someday, when I upgrade, I'll get one that tracks other sports because although I primarily run, I also golf, ski, and do other fitness related activities.
  • georgetalkative
    georgetalkative Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know about FR 35, but several months ago I decided to get FR 235. Before that, I had FR 225. Honestly, it's a hell of a new experience. Built-in HR Smart notifications and other amazing features, make this watch one of the most amazing wearables.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't know about FR 35, but several months ago I decided to get FR 235. Before that, I had FR 225. Honestly, it's a hell of a new experience. Built-in HR Smart notifications and other amazing features, make this watch one of the most amazing wearables.

My 225 is 4 years old... i keep thinking about treating myself to an upgrade in the shape of the 235.

i also bought my husband (beginner runner and bit of a cyclist) the fr35 which looks pretty good, especially for the price