Want of encouragement

Options
So life has not been very easy for me lately. I have been coping with major depression and as a result some of the medicine I takes increases hunger/sugar-craving from what I am told. I don't think it is the primary or only cause of my weight gain but I also don't think it helped me lose weight... I have stabilized my weight but I really would like to see my weight go down more...

Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be swimming at an indoor pool and that will help balance out some of my calories... but I don't think it will really solve some of the underlying matters.

Also I am feeling kinda less-than-very-encouraged about it all. I am 30 now... I feel kinda... ugly... I'm losing my hair too... I regret not 'getting myself out there' now that I am older. I want to tell myself that its not too late and maybe its the depression but its kinda like... I kinda wonder if it really is too late. At least for that part or aspect to my life.

I still want/need to lose weight for a lot of other reasons from health, self-comfort, want to be physically fit, quality-of-life, clothes, and so on... and so on... but its just... I wanted some encouragement so here I am.

Replies

• CathyMcMac
    CathyMcMac Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. You are still young and have a lot of life ahead of you. When you begin swimming you will feel better. There is nothing like being in water and swimming to help me feel at peace. And STOP calling yourself ugly. Believe in your beauty.
  • huntercat2018
    huntercat2018 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Tester1987 wrote: »
    So life has not been very easy for me lately. I have been coping with major depression and as a result some of the medicine I takes increases hunger/sugar-craving from what I am told. I don't think it is the primary or only cause of my weight gain but I also don't think it helped me lose weight... I have stabilized my weight but I really would like to see my weight go down more...

Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be swimming at an indoor pool and that will help balance out some of my calories... but I don't think it will really solve some of the underlying matters.

Also I am feeling kinda less-than-very-encouraged about it all. I am 30 now... I feel kinda... ugly... I'm losing my hair too... I regret not 'getting myself out there' now that I am older. I want to tell myself that its not too late and maybe its the depression but its kinda like... I kinda wonder if it really is too late. At least for that part or aspect to my life.

I still want/need to lose weight for a lot of other reasons from health, self-comfort, want to be physically fit, quality-of-life, clothes, and so on... and so on... but its just... I wanted some encouragement so here I am.

THIS. I can't even tell you how I've been feeling this exact same way. All day I was in a funk and crying, etc. I sat in a parking lot for over 45 minutes trying to psych myself up to stop the crying, get it together, and go into a store to get my errands done. It's a constant struggle feeling like this. Unworthy, lonely, ugly, unwanted, abandoned,.... Just all of that. And going through a divorce where your ex cheated on you with a 19 year old model. Yeah. So there's that. I feel you and you're not alone. 💪
  • Tester1987
    Tester1987 Posts: 18 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    CathyMcMac wrote: »
    Hang in there. You are still young and have a lot of life ahead of you. When you begin swimming you will feel better. There is nothing like being in water and swimming to help me feel at peace. And STOP calling yourself ugly. Believe in your beauty.
    I surely hope so. Swimming is very special and very important to me. Always has been. I haven't been able to for the past four years for various complications... I especially like swimming in the rain/thunderstorms which I haven't been able to do (and yes that isn't at all safe).

And... eh... about how I look... I can try to stop it but it is how I feel.

Thank you for your words of encouragement and comfort.
    THIS. I can't even tell you how I've been feeling this exact same way. All day I was in a funk and crying, etc. I sat in a parking lot for over 45 minutes trying to psych myself up to stop the crying, get it together, and go into a store to get my errands done. It's a constant struggle feeling like this. Unworthy, lonely, ugly, unwanted, abandoned,.... Just all of that. And going through a divorce where your ex cheated on you with a 19 year old model. Yeah. So there's that. I feel you and you're not alone. 💪
    I am very sorry to hear that. As someone who has coped with things similar (very likely for different reasons) there is psycomedication, psychoeducation, and psychotherapy out there that might help. If psychomedication is not your thing there is over-the-counter 'saint johns wort' which can help with minor to moderate non-major depression, it can interact with other medicines so be aware. There are also at least a few support groups likely in your area and some of varying degrees of tolerable online.

I think it is fairly reasonable to speculate that your feelings of dejection is the result of the affair... Which I am sorry to read... with all respect and sensitivity. No matter what you did not deserve that... Having someone to talk to through this process of grief might be worth considering even if it be a non-psychotherapy maybe like a trusted pastor, family member, or friend. Chloe Neill perhaps said it best when she said 'the best revenge is a life well lived.'

Thank you for your words of encouragement and comfort.
    Also if I may add... If the photo of you is even remotely accurate you look to me to be an attractive and lovely looking woman. If you took the time to reply to me it seems like you have a good heart.

If you want someone to talk about depression or just in general please be more than welcome...

• MDProctor
    MDProctor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My friend, so glad you shared. I expect just the act of writing that out might have helped. I hope so.

Let me encourage you by saying that you're stronger than you might think...because you reached out from your low feelings. Congratulations. That means a lot-that you're a fighter, you have a desire, etc.

What you're feeling is normal and is only a season. You will be better and stronger. I predict soon. Keep fighting. Make sure each day you do one thing to get stronger physically, intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually. Soon, you'll see what an amazing creation you are.

Wishing you all the best.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I found the book "Never Too Late To Be Great" inspiring and you may find it helpful. It recounts the tales of people who struggled and found success much later in life. It also gives insights into the benefits of "thinking long" or that success really takes time on many occasions.

It may also be useful to think of your current woes as a chapter in the book of your life rather than the entire book. In other words your future life can and will be better. You just have to pick up the pen and begin writing the new chapters.