Keeping our *kitten* Together Over the Holidays

Options
Would anyone would be interested in joining this accountability thread for minimizing weight gain over the upcoming holiday season or perhaps even continuing to lose (that seems impossible to me!).

Replies

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    This is something I struggle with every year usually I just quit logging I put on almost a stone last holiday season November- February for me with birthdays & Christmas in the mix this time I'm determined to log even if I go over with the exception of the thia buffet for my daughter's birthday no way I can log that I can even pronounce some of the food lol
  • thompsjared
    thompsjared Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Me 🙋🏻‍♂️! This is where I lost all self control last yeah and ended putting 30 pounds back on until I recently started back up. It’s the trifecta of downfall with food for me 🤦🏼‍♂️
  • josiereside1
    josiereside1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Well lets get this going! About me... 53 y/o, married, mom to 4 furbabies, 2 cats, 2 dogs, live in Palmetto, FL. I work out 6 days per week, 3 lifting, 3 running. The exercise part I have down. The food part, well lets just say when I don't have control of creating the food I don't track it! I tend to cut calories a little more during the week to help prevent the weekend gain. I tend to follow IIFYM or flexible dieting making sure to try and hit protein. I have had a tough year with 3 surgeries between March and June. I am more determined than ever to get the body I want! Hope we can help each other out here !
  • DeterminedMummy94x
    DeterminedMummy94x Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I have 2 preschoolers so my house is always full of treats over the holidays (hot chocolate, cookies, cakes, sweets etc lol)... I want to lose 20lbs by march so if I binge over the holidays it will really set me back.

Also, I have 4 furbabies too, a dog and 3 cats :D
  • Dawnvt21
    Dawnvt21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Me! I'm already freaking out about Halloween. My kid gets way more candy than he can possibly eat and it usually ends up in my mouth. =(
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I’m getting worried about the holiday season coming up!

Thankfully, my husband and I are doing just us for Thanksgiving this year so I will have total control over that holiday but we are visiting my parents for Christmas and I am worried!
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    This is the first year since I can remember that I haven't opened up the Halloween candy before Halloween. And, I have no intention of doing so. It's gonna get opened on Wednesday. And, if there's any left over - it's gonna go to the Dentist's office to donate to the troops.

In the past, I'd open the bags up - and sometimes had to buy more - LOL. But, always turned out we never had that many trick or treaters. So we'd always end up eating way too much candy. I think that was the beginning of the Fall downslide into weight gain. BUT, no more !
  • moodybear2003
    moodybear2003 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm already slacking.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Would anyone would be interested in joining this accountability thread for minimizing weight gain over the upcoming holiday season or perhaps even continuing to lose (that seems impossible to me!).

Well ... Christmas is almost 2 months away ... and it's just 2.5 days ... and it is in the middle of summer when the weather is good for going out cycling, running, walking, swimming at the beach, etc. etc. ... so ... it shouldn't be much of a problem. :)

Just plan to get some good exercise in before your Christmas dinner.
  • Krista_Knits52
    Krista_Knits52 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I always have a hard time around the holidays.
  • josiereside1
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Well ... Christmas is almost 2 months away ... and it's just 2.5 days ... and it is in the middle of summer when the weather is good for going out cycling, running, walking, swimming at the beach, etc. etc. ... so ... it shouldn't be much of a problem. :)

Just plan to get some good exercise in before your Christmas dinner.

Well there are also tons of other holiday events this time of year, several Xmas parties, etc... so the holiday season is more than just a day or so. Also, although it may be summer for you, it may not be for many. I live in Florida so almost always summer but you cannot out run a bad diet!
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I plan on keeping my loss set at 0.5 per week, and understanding if I go over. Hopefully see the goal for "loss" will make sure I don't go over the goal for "maintaining." If I plateau I'm ok with that.

Some tips from my journey the last few years:

-Take leftovers to work, let the coworkers help you out!
    -Avoid snacking between meals. Every calorie you snack on is less you can spend on the family meals
    -If you are at a gathering but meal won't be ready for a while, don't chat around the appetizer table. If you need food to tide you over until meal, take a small serving on a plate/napkin and walk away from the temptation!
    -Focus on portion sizes, not what you eat. I found the strategy that works for me is to get one serving-spoonful or one slice of meat. Mentally I tell myself "i'll get more for seconds" but by the time seconds come around I am full and don't overeat.
    -Log everything! If you go over, you go over. You might surprise yourself, things might be fewer calories than you think they are.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Winogelato has a great thread she runs every year at holiday time. It explains holiday gains and what to do about it. Since she's been on MFP for years and is a long time maintainer, her advice is gold. It helps take the stress out of the holidays.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Dawnvt21 wrote: »
    Me! I'm already freaking out about Halloween. My kid gets way more candy than he can possibly eat and it usually ends up in my mouth. =(

Throw it out, take it to work for coworkers (or to family members), or donate it.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I have a plan! I’m going to hit the gym hard the day before thanksgiving, and thanksgiving morning. I’m going to burn a million calories so I can eat as many potatoes as I like.
    Same for Christmas.

I will eat any meat and veggie carbs but I will send the carbs home with other people/ toss them so it’s just one day and not weeks of derailing
  • josiereside1
    Options
    I have a plan! I’m going to hit the gym hard the day before thanksgiving, and thanksgiving morning. I’m going to burn a million calories so I can eat as many potatoes as I like.
    Same for Christmas.

I will eat any meat and veggie carbs but I will send the carbs home with other people/ toss them so it’s just one day and not weeks of derailing

I run a turkey trot every year day of Thanksgiving... It used to be a 5 miler but this year only a 5K but better than nothing! My workouts are always on point... it is the food and booze that get me derailed!
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Same for Christmas.

Solid plan. Plus food tastes better when I'm running a lot :)
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

It's not impossible! We can do it! I'll join you, I'm doing this already anyway- might as well have some company! :)

I find that the best thing you can do for these occasions is come up with a game plan and do your very best to stick to it. Having a plan of attack in place usually helps keep me on track.