Idiopathic Thoracic Scoliosis Tips

Options
Recently been diagnosed with scoliosis, the curve isn't major but I have had pretty back pain nearly 24 hours a day for the last 5+ years, was wondering if anyone has any experience with activity suits or anything else that's really helped? Orthopaedic said surgery is out the question as the curve is nowhere near bad enough😔

Replies

• arobey11
    arobey11 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If surgery is out of the question, maybe your doctor could refer you to a physical therapist?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    PT was helpful. Exercise-wise, I do single-sided lifts (one-legged squats, etc.) to make sure I'm not favoring my good side too much or over-using it, but the thing that has helped me the most has been yoga. Since much of it is done one side at a time, it has really helped me improve my range of motion on my bad side and helped with pain management. I think the pain management piece is due to the elongation of the muscles.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, been reading about yoga for it! Got a physio appointment on Friday as well 😁
  • kitaemma
    kitaemma Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I’ve actually had the surgery so I’m not sure if my advice will be as helpful to you, but pre surgery I would do mostly body weight exercises and occasionally lightweight (not more than 20 pounds), lots of stretching or yoga after, acupuncture, and pt. Currently I’ve found that float therapy helps, still yoga and acupuncture, and never icing my back, always heat, also cbd oil helps. And if you can afford it regular massages will help loosen the muscles that are tighter because of the curve but unfortunately it’s a lifelong struggle. Good luck!
  • Grace2188
    Grace2188 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    In the same situation, bad back pain but no a severe enough curve for surgery.
    I had phisio for it and now have to do a set of stretches 3 times a day, it really does help though. It's nothing major, just regular intervals throughout the day to take a break and do some gentle stretching!
    Also yoga and making sure that you always warm up and cool down properly before and after exercise.
    Hope this helps!
  • tmwyles
    tmwyles Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I too have scoliosis (s-curve). And I’m also pretty over weight. Some days walking can mess me up pretty bad. About 2 years ago I was able to go to the gym and lift. Lifting actually helped me with my pain ALOT or maybe my legs and arms were hurting so much that I didn’t think about my back lol. But if you do lift just be very conscious of your form and also try doing things a little different. For instance I was able to lift 345lb deadlift but I could only do it with the hex bar. I could tell while using a standard bar my first time that a standard bar pulled my back too much but a hex bar kept me centered and I was able to just use my legs. Just pay attention to your body it will tell you what is too much.