Wanted- vegetables to taste nice!

Options
smh_cliff
smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
I find it really hard to enjoy most vegetables and would be interested in any tasty tips regards to particular seasonings or prep methods.
For example I have found I love broccoli if it's still firm and tossed in chilli and garlic.

Maybe I just need to add chilli and garlic to everything but it's always worth an ask!

Replies

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Grilling also makes them tasty, and spices go wild. Also with roasting something we do. Is take out of oven and sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and put back in 375-400 oven for about 5 minutes. Works great with asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, all squash. Yum.

Also you can try for example Cucs and tomatoes in with some vinegar there are so many types and then some seasonings and chill first.
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I thought I didn't like aubergines, then I chopped one and cooked it in tomato sauce with onions and garlic and it's now my favourite thing ever (and a great pasta sauce)
    Experiment with herbs and spices, garlic makes everything taste nicer, so stick to that :)
    Oregano is great with courgettes, nutmeg is amazing with pumpkin and butternut squash.
    I don't eat cheese anymore, but I remember my mum cooking spinach with pepper and parmesan.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Try roasting your veg. Also anything sauteed with garlic will be good.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-roast-any-vegetable-101221

^ My husband who, like his dad, doesn't care for vegetables will now eat most any of them roasted.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Everything tastes better with oil and salt. :)

And pepper :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I like most veggies roasted with oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt. I sometimes will crumble some feta in there for extra flavour.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Have you tried seasoning them with some Rosemary? Ground is nice if you don't care for the leaves by themselves: makes everything smell and taste wonderful. I roast most of my veggies. Tonight I'm trying roasted cauliflower slabs, and adding some cheese for the last few minutes.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've convinced several people they actually like veggies once they are prepared well.

Roasted or grilled veggies with a little olive oil, salt, garlic works for many. Some veggies are great with cayenne also added like green beans. The chili is a great idea along with some cumin

• eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I think that knowing the right texture; when to char, etc., as suggested above, is important. However, I also believe that you will acquire a taste for veggies the more you incorporate them into your routine. I love vegetables.
    Another tip not yet mentioned: how big or small you cut your veggies affects the taste and texture before even cooking them. This is one of the reasons why I enjoy spiralized veggies, such as zucchini or sweet potato, raw. I find it very palatable. Sometimes I make a dressing with smashed avocado and basil, or I might season with dry curry spice and add beans, for example. Your go-to "garlic and chili" is nice on veggie noodles too, perhaps with some sausage meat!
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,866 Member
    Options
    MSG, no joke. Its not bad for you.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    For leafy greens (spinach, cabbage, watercress), that are the only veg that don't roast or grill well, sautee in a little butter with garlic. Though halved salad, oiled and grilled cut side down in cast iron griddle pan or outdoor BBQ is pretty good drizzled with any salad dressing or just plain balsamic vinegar.

A couple of specific treatments for carrots I like.
    https://arecipeforgluttony.wordpress.com/2013/09/25/in-portuguese-marinated-carrots/
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/harissa-and-maple-roasted-carrots
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,175 Member
    Options
    Ranch, hot sauce, butter or cheese.....can't stomach produce of any kind without at least one of those things!
  • Peregrin72
    Peregrin72 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like to lightly saute fresh green beans in olive oil, then toss them with salt, pepper, and a little lemon juice. Delicious!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Butter, salt, pepper, sautéed garlic and/carmelized onions will make anything taste better.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I like spicy food: fried curry powder, finely diced onion, garlic, fresh ginger in a little oil, let it cool down. Keep in a jar in the fridge - when needed, use a spoon full, mix with yoghurt or cottage cheese and add to vegetables. Other option: smoked paprika, garlic, herbs, chili flakes, fry in oil.
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, cook veggies like Italians cook their pasta: "al dente", still crunchy and retaining their greenness. Baking and steaming are my favorites. Roasting certain vegetables like Brussel sprouts, onions, carrots and fennel with a bit of olive oil will make them caramelize on the first layers, simply delicious!
    Or classic Ratatouille with cooked eggplant, zucchini, onion and peppers...adding tomato sauce will make it decadent! (And looking more like Spanish Pisto).
    Your chili and garlic trick for broccoli has an interesting variation: sauté the broccoli with slivered almond and garlic! Super nice and different as well :)
  • MaryContrary1972
    MaryContrary1972 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Another roaster here! I hate boiled veg.

I put everything on a tray, shove it in the oven for 30 mins then eat it. I don't even use oil or that spray stuff. Just add salt. Even veg like brussels taste 100 times better :)
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    So hard to tell when I have no idea what you like and don't but most people seem to agree that roasting nearly any vegetable make it yummy
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Nearly every vegetable-hating human I ever met has been converted with a plate of oven roasted root veggies .

In addition to root veggies, (potatoes, beets, carrots, parsnips, turnips, garlic, onions,)
    Other oven roasted ready veggies are Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower and, believe it or not - cabbage wedges.

Low temp, slow cook (325F, 60 min plus)