Ready to bulk?

Options
What do you guys think? Cut for another month or jump into a bulk? I’m 123 pounds and 5’3. First picture is relaxed, second is flexed.89n3jdf7rqe7.jpeg

Replies

• edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    What do you want more? More visible muscle or more muscle. You could cut for a bit or you could just start bulking. Basically I don’t think you are in a position to make the wrong decision.
  • lindyyy87
    lindyyy87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    edickson76 wrote: »
    What do you want more? More visible muscle or more muscle. You could cut for a bit or you could just start bulking. Basically I don’t think you are in a position to make the wrong decision.

I’m debating on what I should do. I’d like to add a little muscle to my back and make my butt a little perkier. I’m not sure if I should maintain or bulk. I’ve been consistently working out for a year and a half, and I’m not sure if a recomp would be beneficial for me.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    @sardelsa is a good person to speak to
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You look really good and like the poster said above, I don't think you could go wrong either way. You have fantastic legs btw.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Personal opinion - either recomp or a very, very small bulk (like 100 extra calories per day).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Based on your goals, I would say you can recomp or a very small/ultra lean bulk. If your goal was to put on significant size/mass/weight, then you could consider a standard lean bulk, but with your stats and goals, recomp or slight surplus is a great option. You can cut a bit more if you really want but only if you think it will make bulking more comfortable for you. If you decide to recomp I would start now vs cutting down first.

I believe I remember you from before, did you end up running a bulk last year?
  • lindyyy87
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Based on your goals, I would say you can recomp or a very small/ultra lean bulk. If your goal was to put on significant size/mass/weight, then you could consider a standard lean bulk, but with your stats and goals, recomp or slight surplus is a great option. You can cut a bit more if you really want but only if you think it will make bulking more comfortable for you. If you decide to recomp I would start now vs cutting down first.

Yep! I ran a really short bulk last year/this year. It ended up taking me a month to find my maintenance calories, and then I bulked for about 3.5 months. I saw minimal changes- mostly in my quads. Cutting down was really hard for me even though I didn’t gain a ton of weight. I ended up spinning my wheels in a bulk/cut limbo for a few months, unfortunately.
    I do think this time around I would do a bulk at a smaller surplus- like maybe eat close to maintenance and have a pint of Ben and Jerry’s each week.

The only reason I’m hesitant about recomp is that I keep reading that it’s so slow that it’s not worth it... I’m not sure if thats true.
  • lindyyy87
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    lindyyy87 wrote: »

I’m debating on what I should do. I’d like to add a little muscle to my back and make my butt a little perkier. I’m not sure if I should maintain or bulk. I’ve been consistently working out for a year and a half, and I’m not sure if a recomp would be beneficial for me.

Why wouldn't a recomp be beneficial?
    Especially as you haven't been lifting long. Maybe it's time to look at your training rather than your calorie balance?

Here's a good roundup of the pros and cons of cut/bulk and recomp - maybe something might resonate with you....

https://bretcontreras.com/to-bulk-and-cut-or-not/

Thanks for the link. I’m planning on running strong curves, but that is a valid point that I need to look at my training. I’ve been in a diet limbo for months and haven’t really made much progress with my strength.

I find really negative things about recomp, but it might be better than what I’ve been doing.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I've done a recompbulk over the past 2.5 years and put on about 10lbs of muscle (max). It is slow, but not THAT much slower than most female bulk/cuts to put on comparable amounts of muscle. The nice thing about it is you don't have to think hard about it. Just live your life and lift. Time will pass anyway, so unless you have a competition you need to get ready for on a timeframe, why not just let your body change over time? That's assuming you are pretty happy with where you are now.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Yep! I ran a really short bulk last year/this year. It ended up taking me a month to find my maintenance calories, and then I bulked for about 3.5 months. I saw minimal changes- mostly in my quads. Cutting down was really hard for me even though I didn’t gain a ton of weight. I ended up spinning my wheels in a bulk/cut limbo for a few months, unfortunately.
    I do think this time around I would do a bulk at a smaller surplus- like maybe eat close to maintenance and have a pint of Ben and Jerry’s each week.

The only reason I’m hesitant about recomp is that I keep reading that it’s so slow that it’s not worth it... I’m not sure if thats true.

Yes recomp is slow. But muscle building and body comp changes in general are very slow as well. To run a bulk/cut cycle can take me anywhere from 12 months or more. The only reason I personally prefer bulking to recomp is because of my goals (I want to sit at a higher weight overall, I want to be larger not the same size, and I like to actually see my body growing which keeps me motivated). Because your goals are as you mentioned: a little muscle and perkier butt... to me running a bulk would not be necessary for you. And since you ran a bulk and had issues before, I would caution against it for you, at least right now.
  • lindyyy87
    Options
    I've done a recompbulk over the past 2.5 years and put on about 10lbs of muscle (max). It is slow, but not THAT much slower than most female bulk/cuts to put on comparable amounts of muscle. The nice thing about it is you don't have to think hard about it. Just live your life and lift. Time will pass anyway, so unless you have a competition you need to get ready for on a timeframe, why not just let your body change over time? That's assuming you are pretty happy with where you are now.

I am pretty happy with where I am now. I would like to get a little leaner and build a little more muscle in my lower body, and it sounds like that is in line with recomp. Ten pounds of muscle seems like a lot, and I would be super happy with that! Thank you for the perspective.
  • lindyyy87
    Options

Yes recomp is slow. But muscle building and body comp changes in general are very slow as well. To run a bulk/cut cycle can take me anywhere from 12 months or more. The only reason I personally prefer bulking to recomp is because of my goals (I want to sit at a higher weight overall, I want to be larger not the same size, and I like to actually see my body growing which keeps me motivated). Because your goals are as you mentioned: a little muscle and perkier butt... to me running a bulk would not be necessary for you. And since you ran a bulk and had issues before, I would caution against it for you, at least right now.

Those are very valid points about the length of time that it takes. I really appreciate your input, and I have a lot to consider. I guess my main takeaway is that it isn’t all or nothing- I definitely can keep recomp or very lean bulking as options. I definitely agree that I don’t need to run a true bulk.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

Agree 100%