Options
13»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mg07030 wrote: »
    ACDodd wrote: »
    We used to have weekly meeting at the Claim Jumper.
    They serve the biggest portions I have ever seen.
    The 6 layer mother load chocolate cake weighed in around 4 pounds and has 3410 calories per slice.
    6 or 7 of us would eat 1 slice.
    https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/PNZZEGCsShfvfJ5Oi2WRAA/o.jpg

Claim Jumper served me the single most ridiculous sandwich I've ever ordered. It was a vegetable sandwich with avocado, I can't remember the name. Anyway, this thing easily had two whole avocados on it. And it was meant to be served with cheese and mayo (which I had held on my order)! I love avocado, but it seemed like a lot even to me.

@janejellyroll @ACDodd

What the heck is Claim Jumper? Googling. :)

It's a casual restaurant chain. They're mostly known for their enormous portions.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll I am intrigued! ESP with double avocado lol
    ACDodd wrote: »
    We used to have weekly meeting at the Claim Jumper.
    They serve the biggest portions I have ever seen.
    The 6 layer mother load chocolate cake weighed in around 4 pounds and has 3410 calories per slice.
    6 or 7 of us would eat 1 slice.
    https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/PNZZEGCsShfvfJ5Oi2WRAA/o.jpg

Claim Jumper served me the single most ridiculous sandwich I've ever ordered. It was a vegetable sandwich with avocado, I can't remember the name. Anyway, this thing easily had two whole avocados on it. And it was meant to be served with cheese and mayo (which I had held on my order)! I love avocado, but it seemed like a lot even to me.

@janejellyroll @ACDodd

What the heck is Claim Jumper? Googling. :)

It's a casual restaurant chain. They're mostly known for their enormous portions.

• elizabethlogan3
    elizabethlogan3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes restaurant portions are very large so when I go out I ask them to bring a to go container so as soon as they bring the food out I can put half or more of it away and only eat what I need at the time.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    It must depend on the restaurant.

Whenever we are overseas, I’ve had people mention large portion sizes in the US. I’ve always thought that was an over generalization.
    At least in my experience- the restaurants I frequent here in NYC do smaller portions.

Just wondering: has anyone else noticed how ridiculously oversized restaurant portions are?

Ever since I've started losing weight, it has become increasingly obvious to me how grossly disproportionate the sizes are. It's like 3 servings in one, if not more. The other day, I split a chocolate chunk cookie from Barnes and Noble with someone because I knew I wouldn't eat the entire thing myself as it was too big for me- it was like four cookies in one.

My question is this: have you been to a restaurant where the portion sizes are a bit more reasonable?

Hi MG! Greetings from Long Island! I love NYC and would be interested to know what restaurants offer smaller portions? I'd like to check them out. What are your recommendations?
  • Kimmotion5783
    Options
    All good points made, thanks everyone for the insightful input. Maybe it just depends on where you go. What prompted this post was a recent restaurant trip where my friends and I easily split one dessert between the three of us. To me, that's just an insane portion size. Basically three portions in "one". We had ordered chocolate cake, the one slice they came out with I'm sure was a third of the entire cake itself. You should have seen this ridiculous portion of cake. Then this friday, I'm going for Italian food with the same friends. Now that I'm close to my mini weight goal, I'm looking for ways to still enjoy a night out at a restaurant. It's hard.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    All good points made, thanks everyone for the insightful input. Maybe it just depends on where you go. What prompted this post was a recent restaurant trip where my friends and I easily split one dessert between the three of us.

Sounds like Harold's Deli.... Been there once. Got a sandwich and it came with a side of 6 slices of bread. Had to have been over a pound of meat on the sandwich.
  • Safari_Gal
    Options
    It must depend on the restaurant.

Whenever we are overseas, I’ve had people mention large portion sizes in the US. I’ve always thought that was an over generalization.
    At least in my experience- the restaurants I frequent here in NYC do smaller portions.

Just wondering: has anyone else noticed how ridiculously oversized restaurant portions are?

Ever since I've started losing weight, it has become increasingly obvious to me how grossly disproportionate the sizes are. It's like 3 servings in one, if not more. The other day, I split a chocolate chunk cookie from Barnes and Noble with someone because I knew I wouldn't eat the entire thing myself as it was too big for me- it was like four cookies in one.

My question is this: have you been to a restaurant where the portion sizes are a bit more reasonable?

Hi MG! Greetings from Long Island! I love NYC and would be interested to know what restaurants offer smaller portions? I'd like to check them out. What are your recommendations?

@Kimmotion5783 - some of my fav restaurants that we frequent at least a few times per month:
    Sant Ambroeus on Madison UES
    UVA UES
    Sushi Nakazawa -west village
    The Clam - west village
    Waverly - west village
    Mr Chow - Tribeca
    Locanda Verde - Tribeca

I’ve never had gigantic portions at the above and never needed a to go box.

Typing that I’m now walking to Mr. Chow. :) no rice please.
  • Safari_Gal
    Options
    @Kimmotion5783
    Ps - I also think it depends on the place but also what one is ordering. Instead of a sundae - 1 scoop of gelato is good!
    Ever been to Serendipity 3 on the UES? They are all shareable - but they offer single scoops too.

I had a sugar free mousse at my fav neighborhood place recently - it was so tiny I was like - that’s 2 spoonfuls! But it was good just to just have a taste. So reading this thread was interesting to me as I rarely see epic portions. But I also haven’t been to Katz’s deli recently. ☺️

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    All good points made, thanks everyone for the insightful input. Maybe it just depends on where you go. What prompted this post was a recent restaurant trip where my friends and I easily split one dessert between the three of us. To me, that's just an insane portion size. Basically three portions in "one". We had ordered chocolate cake, the one slice they came out with I'm sure was a third of the entire cake itself. You should have seen this ridiculous portion of cake. Then this friday, I'm going for Italian food with the same friends. Now that I'm close to my mini weight goal, I'm looking for ways to still enjoy a night out at a restaurant. It's hard.

Normally I don't eat dessert at restaurants, but we always do for family birthdays celebrated out, and we always split them because we are usually fairly full from the meal, but it doesn't feel like a birthday meal w/o dessert.

Like other posters have said, I find the portions at upscale restaurants much more reasonably sized.

There's a cheap Italian restaurant near us with huge portions of terrible food that I was only willing to patronize once. They've been in business for over 50 years. My favorite upscale Italian restaurant with small portions just went out of business :(
  • Safari_Gal
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Normally I don't eat dessert at restaurants, but we always do for family birthdays celebrated out, and we always split them because we are usually fairly full from the meal, but it doesn't feel like a birthday meal w/o dessert.

Like other posters have said, I find the portions at upscale restaurants much more reasonably sized.

There's a cheap Italian restaurant near us with huge portions of terrible food that I was only willing to patronize once. They've been in business for over 50 years. My favorite upscale Italian restaurant with small portions just went out of business :(

@kshama2001 - noticed you were from Boston! ever been to Rino’s in Eastie? Those are the biggest portions I have ever seen. Hands down.
  • Kimmotion5783
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @ mg07030

How is Serendipity? It looks nice. Maybe I'll try it next time I'm in the city. It looks similar to Alice's Tea Cup.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Options
    Just googled Claim Jumper..... Yikes!!! Those portion sizes! :o
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My colleagues from other countries are always flabbergasted with US portion sizes when we go out to lunch.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I went to the cheese cake factory last night and got the Cajun chicken little meal... it was so many chicken tenders i'll probably be eating leftovers for the next week unless my husband takes some to work. And the cheese cake I got was 1450 calories alone (my birthday so I splurged) , I could only eat 1/4 of it even though it wasn't a big slice.
  • Safari_Gal
    Options
    @ mg07030

How is Serendipity? It looks nice. Maybe I'll try it next time I'm in the city. It looks similar to Alice's Tea Cup.

@Kimmotion5783
    Serendipity3 is cool. There are items that are large portions and ones that are small. Some are meant to share. Ask for the minis. It’s cute for date night or special occasions.
    It’s pretty inside. When I eat ice cream - I like Il Laboratorio del gelato downtown.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have to think back to when my favorite meals was a chillie cheese-a-plenty from the beacon drive in. Huge bun, two beef patties, chillie, cheese and you couldn't see it. It was buried under a mound of french fries and onion rings.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Options
    @mg07030 : I really have to try it next time I'm in the city, it sounds wonderful. I saw some pictures of it online- it looks good!