Loose a little, then I gain a lot!

Options
alitude01
alitude01 Posts: 17 Member
I’ve been logging my food with weight measurements for the past 49 days. I’m down now only 7.5 lbs in 49 days!! I’m loosing a little bit of weight one week then gaining it all back plus some the next week. It’s become frustrating. Last week I finally broke into the 140’s, 148.4 to be exact. This week I’m back to 150.6. I eat 1100 every day unless I work out. On those days I only eat back 50% of those calories. I’m just super frusterded b/c I thought I would be further along by now.

Replies

• alitude01
    Options
    I weight everything oz and grams. I have switched it a lot of pre packaged food so I am make sure I’m eating what it says I’m eating. Pre packaged to me is oatmeal (1min quick oats) lunch meat, pre made mashed potatoes, salad kits, grapes with a bar code so I can scan everything. I know exactly what I’m eating at all times. I haven’t even eaten a stray gold fish from my kids lunch. I know 1100 cal is low I’m just not very hungry. I try to eat my entire meal but have a very hard time doing it. I also eat 4 times a day, so every 4 hours or so. I’m never really hungry so it’s hard to keep my calories up. I’m 5 3” 150 lbs, my goal is to be 125-130lbs. I do work out 4-5 times a week for 60 min hard full body cardio/cross training. I also drink 100+ oz of water a day and nothing else.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    7.5 lbs. in 49 weeks is just about 1 pound per week which is a good rate. Like cmriverside said, weight loss isn't linear. For instance, I gained 2.5 pounds between Friday and today. I know I will retain a lot of water from eating out on the weekends. This water weight will be gone tomorrow or Wednesday and I'll see a big weight loss.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »
    7.5 lbs. in 49 weeks is just about 1 pound per week which is a good rate. Like cmriverside said, weight loss isn't linear. For instance, I gained 2.5 pounds between Friday and today. I know I will retain a lot of water from eating out on the weekends. This water weight will be gone tomorrow or Wednesday and I'll see a big weight loss.

1lb per week for 49 weeks would be 49lbs, not 7.5...

Edited because I figured out it was a typo, you have 49 weeks instead of days :-)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »

1lb per week for 49 weeks would be 49lbs, not 7.5...

Edited because I figured out it was a typo, you have 49 weeks instead of days :-)

Edited because repetitive :lol: Nothing to see here!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,946 Member
    Options
    alitude01 wrote: »
    I weight everything oz and grams. I have switched it a lot of pre packaged food so I am make sure I’m eating what it says I’m eating. Pre packaged to me is oatmeal (1min quick oats) lunch meat, pre made mashed potatoes, salad kits, grapes with a bar code so I can scan everything. I know exactly what I’m eating at all times. I haven’t even eaten a stray gold fish from my kids lunch. I know 1100 cal is low I’m just not very hungry. I try to eat my entire meal but have a very hard time doing it. I also eat 4 times a day, so every 4 hours or so. I’m never really hungry so it’s hard to keep my calories up. I’m 5 3” 150 lbs, my goal is to be 125-130lbs. I do work out 4-5 times a week for 60 min hard full body cardio/cross training. I also drink 100+ oz of water a day and nothing else.

Can you please open your food diary so we can troubleshoot? If you are using mostly bar-code scans there is a really good chance you're using bad/incorrect entries, and if you get a few of those per day they can add up quickly.

I make almost all my meals from scratch, and I weigh everything to the gram, and I check every item I use against a reputable source such as the USDA database. Once I got my favorite foods and recipes entered I knew I had good accurate entries and I just use those over and over. You really do have to vet every single item the first time you use it.

You've been on this site for less than a month, but maybe we can spot some errors in your logging. To open your FOOD page go to food>settings, scroll down, click "Public"
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    your weight varies within a day and day to day EVEN as you loose. i recommend a weight smoothing app like happy scale. don't worry about day to day variations but general trend.

1 pound a week is very good progress. we don't put on the weight in a few months, it won't come off in a few months.

it also sounds like there may be logging errors either in how you are weighing (pre or post cooking) or in the particular entries you selected (they are user generated so some are false).

do you include any liquid calories?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

Are you also weighing these? The weight indicated on the package and how much you are eating can be two totally different amounts and can result in you overeating by several 100 calories a day. Weigh these too!
  • alitude01
    Options
    I weigh Everything! Just last night I had a salad kit and measured out my 2cups. I’m also no drinking anything except water and a little almond milk in my twice a week coffee or oatmeal. To address the working out, I have been at this pace for all most a year so it’s nothing new, I just try to push my self during my classes. I’m trying to open my food diary now so you all can see it.
  • alitude01
    Options
    My food diary is open. Please look it over and let me know where I need some work.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, butter, bread, cheese, macaroni and cheese, all say "2 slices" or "1 tbsp" or "1/2 cup." Are you weighing those things in grams? They're all pretty calorie-dense and can add up quickly.
  • colorfulcoquette
    colorfulcoquette Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My food diary is open. Please look it over and let me know where I need some work.

One thing that jumped out at me was the Costco pepperoni slice calories from Saturday - unless you ate a little under 1/2 a slice it is far too low. Finding accurate entries can take time but those types of discrepancies and correcting them can make a really big difference.
  • alitude01
    Options
    Colorfulcoquette, I cut the pizza in half and ate the smaller size. I also removed all the meat. And as far as the peanut butter and bread and butter I measure Everything. I pull out my measuring spoons and use it that way. Butter was in an entire dish I made for the family. The entire recipient would use that amount of butter.

After my first baby I went low carb and limited what food I ate to the extreme. I’m trying my hardest to eat food I keep in my house on the daily. And all the processed food is killing me. I normally cook everything from scratch. It’s just easier to by pre packaged food so I’m not adding in extras to make it better. I’m finding my problem before was portion control. I ate too much food. I’m now back on track for realistic portion expiation.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    1 lb per week is pretty good. Weight flucuates up and down and is only linear over longer periods of time. I would keep going for another 8 weeks and see where you end up. I think you will be happy with what you get.
  • colorfulcoquette
    colorfulcoquette Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Colorfulcoquette, I cut the pizza in half and ate the smaller size. I also removed all the meat.

That's awesome to hear :)

I will second what @quiksylver296 said about the food scale though. Not only will it help you be far more accurate but it makes for easier clean up with cooking as there aren't all those measuring spoons and cups to clean.