Advice for runner - agonising toe!

Options
Hello!

Newbie poster here. I’ve been running regularly for about six months now, gradually working my way up to 10k. This week I did a 13k run and when I got home, I noticed the most horrendous blister on my toe (so large it half-covered the nail, ew!). Anyway, I gently lanced it with a disinfected needle, drained the pus then popped a compeed on it.

Three days later, it’s extremely painful. I have been running since but only a short, gentle run; but on reflection this probably didn’t help. The toenail feels like it’s going to explode with every step and I’m a bit worried it’ll mean I can’t go out running for ages, just when I was doing so well!

Has anyone experienced similar? Unfortunately I can’t rest it much as I walk around a lot during the day.

Replies

• lowcarbmale
    lowcarbmale Posts: 145 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Yes. That's a sign that your shoes don't fit perfectly. You could try wearing better socks and or put special cream or some oil on your toes before you run to reduce friction.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to the forums.

Is it painful without added friction, or is it only when you are running/walking? I suspect an infection if it hurts without pressure or friction.

If it's not infected you can try to build the area up around it with moleskin to protect it so it can heal.

Get this blister healed then prevention is key. Look at your shoe fitment...it may not be right for you. Friction are moisture are the enemy! Invest in some wicking socks. You can also try a glide stick to reduce friction. Maybe even wrap the toe, but that seems horribly uncomfortable.

In the meantime, work on some cross training like strength or cycle. Your run will benefit in the long run...pun intended.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    So you've worked up to a 10k with no problems, did a 13k and had problems?

Did you wear the same shoes?
    Did you wear the same socks?
    Did you cut (or not cut) your toenail?

Something doesn't make sense... if you can do a 10k without problems, a 13k shouldn't be night-and-day different.
  • lucy3425
    lucy3425 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    So you've worked up to a 10k with no problems, did a 13k and had problems?

Did you wear the same shoes?
    Did you wear the same socks?
    Did you cut (or not cut) your toenail?

Something doesn't make sense... if you can do a 10k without problems, a 13k shouldn't be night-and-day different.

Agreed - it is weird. Perhaps it was my toenail digging in; that’s a possibility. Other than that, everything was the same; same trainers, same socks! It’s really odd.
  • lucy3425
    Options

funjen1972 wrote: »

Is it painful without added friction, or is it only when you are running/walking? I suspect an infection if it hurts without pressure or friction.

If it's not infected you can try to build the area up around it with moleskin to protect it so it can heal.

Get this blister healed then prevention is key. Look at your shoe fitment...it may not be right for you. Friction are moisture are the enemy! Invest in some wicking socks. You can also try a glide stick to reduce friction. Maybe even wrap the toe, but that seems horribly uncomfortable.

In the meantime, work on some cross training like strength or cycle. Your run will benefit in the long run...pun intended.
    funjen1972 wrote: »

It doesn’t hurt all the time, only when I run or walk - so hopefully that means it’s not infected. It doesn’t look like it is; though it does look rather bruised on top now! Does anyone know if there’s a way I can pad it out to keep doing runs, or is rest the only way to sort it out?

(Ps thanks to all for the replies- appreciated!)
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
  • smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Is it under your toenail? If so I would recommend putting a hole in the nail to relieve the pressure.
  • lucy3425
    Options
    Is it under your toenail? If so I would recommend putting a hole in the nail to relieve the pressure.

No, it’s more on the tip and underneath. I’m going to rest it for a few days and hopefully it heals itself! (Might have to get some proper running shoes too...) thanks for replying - appreciated.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lucy3425 wrote: »

No, it’s more on the tip and underneath. I’m going to rest it for a few days and hopefully it heals itself! (Might have to get some proper running shoes too...) thanks for replying - appreciated.

Definitely get proper running shoes
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    OH YES!!! I'm an ultra runner and I've had this issue more than once. It's not always ill fitting shoes; it can be caused by a number of issues. I had two issues. First: I needed a bigger toe box than most running shoes provide. I now use Altra Running Shoes (trail and road). Second: I have hammer toes, so my toes pound down instead of out, which causes trauma to the nails. My problems got so bad, I finally had all of my toenails surgically removed. Best decision ever for me. Good luck!!

BTW.... it is incredibly painful, can last a long time, and can impact your running. That's why I made the decision to have them removed.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    OH YES!!! I'm an ultra runner and I've had this issue more than once. It's not always ill fitting shoes; it can be caused by a number of issues. I had two issues. First: I needed a bigger toe box than most running shoes provide. I now use Altra Running Shoes (trail and road). Second: I have hammer toes, so my toes pound down instead of out, which causes trauma to the nails. My problems got so bad, I finally had all of my toenails surgically removed. Best decision ever for me. Good luck!!

BTW.... it is incredibly painful, can last a long time, and can impact your running. That's why I made the decision to have them removed.

You had all of your toenails surgically removed?!?! That’s pretty bad *kitten* lol. I’m having similar issues, giant blister on my little toe, I think the blister is bigger than my toe... I was properly fitted for shoes, and I only wear blister prevention socks and I use body chaf glide... nothing has helped to prevent them. Maybe it’s just my humid climate? I got this last one from my half marathon on the beach, part of the run was on the shoreline and my shoes got wet and then sand got in too and rubbed. It really hurts and is making my gait awkward :/ .