What gym yall like the most??

Options
2»

Replies

• PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My local rec is amazing. 2 miles from my house, huge lifting areas (2 racks, 2 dead platforms, 7 bench press plus incline decline, 10-15 barbells, lots of weight plates, dumbells up to 105 lbs), every cardio machine you can imagine, all classes (spin, yoga, bare, various cardio/weights groups) for $5, 2 b-ball courts, Olympic pool, outdoor kids pool, child care...
    All for $300 for the year for entire family!

I’m never moving lol (you have to live in the city to be a member)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Any gym that lets me squat/deadlift no shoes, has a tractor tire, a sledgehammer, some battle ropes, a squat rack, and dumbbells that go to 100 minimum.

While it works for me, you wouldn't like Planet Fitness very much... :smiley:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Any gym that lets me squat/deadlift no shoes, has a tractor tire, a sledgehammer, some battle ropes, a squat rack, and dumbbells that go to 100 minimum.

That's my gym^^ <3<3<3
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with my LA Fitness. I need an inside pool, and they're the closest one to my house. My employer does have some fitness centers with pools, but because they have students as lifeguards (I work for a university), they close over the breaks, and that doesn't work for my needs all the time.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I love the Y, but there isn't one close to me. I've been going to 24HR Fitness for years and it's worked out great. There are 4 locations within easy distance. Some have functional training areas, some have pools, some have basketball courts...all have plenty of racks and free weights.

Edit - I do also belong to a climbing gym, Momentum. It's truly phenomenal. 1 acre of bouldering , free yoga classes and an amazing gym with 8 squat racks, rings, parallettes, etc.
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have a membership at the Y (we have about 9 here locally and most are really nice and updated). I also have a membership at 10Gym for when I need a late night workout if the Y has closed. I prefer the Y, but our 10Gym is pretty decent too.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I always loved planet fitness, and I am counting the days down until one comes in to the area we moved. Yep, there “frills” like massage, tanning, red light, etc...but for $20 and being a night shift ER nurse and a mom of 2 small kids (1 being special needs), the “frills” are what get me to go when I’m feeling not into it that day
  • Shell4624
    Shell4624 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Orangetheory!
  • sheltondq
    sheltondq Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I loved my college gym at VCU. The Cary Street Gym had everything I wanted and needed in a workout. They spoiled me.

I have been going to The Y and planet fitness fo a few months. It’s sad. I work at the Y and hate their gym. If I go in the mornings the showers are always cold, pool almost always booked, lots of the classes are scheduled during 8-5 hours when most people work, and it’s set up in a way that provides nothing to look at but a wall of trees.

Planet fitness is lacking in some areas,but they do have, nice showers and locker rooms, lots of cardio equipment, some weights, and unlimited hours.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Slasher09 wrote: »
    I always loved planet fitness, and I am counting the days down until one comes in to the area we moved. Yep, there “frills” like massage, tanning, red light, etc...but for $20 and being a night shift ER nurse and a mom of 2 small kids (1 being special needs), the “frills” are what get me to go when I’m feeling not into it that day

Interestingly enough, I like the no frills membership at PF for a couple of reasons...
    The primary one is cost, of course. It's half as much (only $10 a month) if you can only go to one location, can't bring guests and can't use the stuff in the "Black Card" area (which is the frills - tanning, massage chairs, hydromassage).
    Before I go into the other one, I am not knocking what you want out of the place; what ever it takes to help you get in is good. But when I have belonged to clubs that had frills, I spent entirely too much time in things like massage chairs, saunas and/or Jacuzzis instead of exercising. When I go to PF, all I can do is exercise and shower and so that is all I do. I can be there 80 minutes total and be actively exercising 60 or more minutes. I am even torn about whether or not going with a buddy is a good idea. I see a lot of people do that and they chat and watch each other on some of the machines and end up doing less actual exercise. But they encourage each other and for some people that social aspect gets them to come when they might skip it otherwise. I am providing my own motivation (discipline, really) and would rather socialize another time.

Anyway, I like that you can choose the level of membership to include or exclude those things.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I belong to Planet Fitness only because it's cheap & treadmills (during really bad weather) are plentiful. I also stop in for a shower when I bike commute (it's only a couple of blocks away from my office) in really hot weather.

If your focus is cardio PF is a pretty good choice, if you want to build strength you're limited to dumbbells & machines which also works for lots of people. I've purchased a power rack, bench, Olympic bar and plates so my favourite gym is my garage.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I moved from the Y to an Anytime Fitness. It's a more convenient location for me and has all the gear I am using. I did swim some at the Y but stopped doing that so don't miss the pool. Pricing was similar (not $10 though).

I go early and have not had issues getting to use a squat rack. I had issues with this some days at the Y. Hard to do Strong Lifts without a squat rack.

And I can use other gyms in the chain if needed. I haven't yet.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    I use Fitness Connection - it's 10 minutes from the house, has all the cardio machines, has weight machines, a circuit area, a TRX area, 5 squat racks, 3 deadlift platforms, a spin class, regular class, DB up to 150, 5 leg press sleds(?), 8 bench press benches and plenty of plates for the free weights. All for $10 a month (if you get the special like I did).
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I do Orangetheory Fitness and love it.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    My home gym in my basement

ditto. I never have to wait to do curls in the squat rack. My cats are terrible spotters, though.