I know you aren't suppose to eat after 8pm tonight but is it

Options
You are really low on your calorie count for the day. I didn't realize how low my exercise was going to know my calorie count for the day. It knocked me to a net of only around 500 calories. I have some grapes and stuff I could eat if needed.

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, not eating after 8pm (or 6pm, or whatever time everyone says) is a load of ****. Sure, it discourages late night snacking (which is a big problem of mine!), but if all that matters is calories in/calories out, it doesn't matter what time you eat.

If you're netting low for today, you have healthy food that you want to eat, and you're hungry. JUST EAT!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    You can actually eat any time. Its about total calories, not timing. I eat within minutes of bed time every day.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    lol. you can deff. eat after 8 :)
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't know what time it is. Eat!

Oh, and something that helps me is to plan my day ahead. If I know I'm going to work out, then I try to arrange my meals so I'm eating enough but not over my net goal (mine is 1330).
  • allenlisa
    Options
    It's 9:20 and I'm eating grapes!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    You can actually eat any time. Its about total calories, not timing. I eat within minutes of bed time every day.

What he said.

Here's an article on ABC News: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/2020/story?id=512095&page=1
  • childofares
    childofares Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't think eating grapes and stuff hurts. I eat a little something before I go to bed as I tend to sleep sounder. I think the after 8 thing is for people who eat an entire bag of chips and then 2-3 beers or soda that it was meant for but it got blown out of proportion.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    You're free to eat whenever you want.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    <
    Eats after 8PM. Even eats a cookie IN BED at 11:30pm EVERY night. Has lost 46 lbs in 6 months. Weighs a very comfortable 121 pounds.

It's more harmful to starve yourself than to eat a snack after the magical time of 8 pm.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm getting used to the whole meal planning thing, was doing good but the outage that made me be up all night last night threw my day into a tailspin, ended up not getting to have a lunch so had to bust into the snack drawer that I've stacked with crackers and other healthier options. Then I was having a good enough time at the gym I decided to double up my routine.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I just got done eating cherries and almond milk, I say as long as there isn't too much fat eat away!
  • myfurturelooksgood
    myfurturelooksgood Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I find myself in that situation often. Somehow I just don't get enough calories in throughout the day, particularly when I exercise alot. So I agree that its fine to eat after 6 or 8pm. It's important to eat enough or your body sabatoges you. Healthy rather than unhealthy but honestly, sometimes I have a few (14) jelly beans for 150 calories just because I can :)
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys and gals, enjoying some nice sweet red seedless grapes. Yum!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Those things are the bomb. I can plow through them like madness! :bigsmile:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm getting used to the whole meal planning thing, was doing good but the outage that made me be up all night last night threw my day into a tailspin, ended up not getting to have a lunch so had to bust into the snack drawer that I've stacked with crackers and other healthier options. Then I was having a good enough time at the gym I decided to double up my routine.

Sometime life gets in the way of all our plans, doesn't it?
    Don't panic, eat something to fuel up your body and hopefully tomorrow will go more smoothly
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options

Good Man!!! ((Pats head))
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    honestly I think its fine if your super under...i just had a tuna sandwich :ohwell: :happy:
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    The don't eat after _____- time comes from the assumption that your body takes about 3-4 hours to digest food and thus you should stop eating those amount of hours before you go to bed. I don't really concern myself too much with this, but I do watch what type of food I eat before going to bed. I have noticed that if I eat something higher in carbs. it does make a difference. Eating low calorie, light items that will burn quickly is not a problem.
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. I often eat supper at 7 pm so when my calories are low and I need a snack, I eat one and I've been losing. I think the reason they tell you not to eat too close to bed time, is that it's hard on the digestion. I have acid reflux so I try not to eat anything an hour before I go to bed. However, that being said, if I'm not going to bed until midnight, then I eay up until 11pm. So it varies depending on what time I go to bed. I think it's a myth about weight gain and eating late. So as long as you stick with what MFP gives you, I think it's fine.
  • PirateJenny
    Options
    Eating after a certain point in the evening will not make a person gain weight as long as their total calories are still within a reasonable range. Even though our bodies have a daily cycle; calories in / calories out is also on a continuum, not something that can be cleanly broken into 24 hour chunks.

I think this "eating at night will cause weight gain" gained credence because nighttime is when many people consume calories that aren't needed or go over a healthy amount. They have already had their meals and snacks, are at a healthy calorie level and still keep eating. Then people threw a bunch of pseudo science at it and it stuck.

I often eat after 8:00pm (and after 10:00, sometimes after 12:00) and have not had problems with losing weight. I say as long as it is healthy and within your total calorie goal, eat away!