When do you personally start losing strength when cutting?

Options
When do you personally start losing strength when cutting? I’m aware that some people can maintain strength or in some cases actually gain a bit of strength but I’m curious for the most of us that do lose strength, when and how drastic?

I have been cutting for 11 weeks and have lost a total of 10 kilos/22 pounds and started seeing strength loss at around week 8

Replies

• jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    By loosing strength do you mean loose muscle mass? If so, I don't have an answer since I'm wondering about the same question. I'm also cutting for about 5 weeks now. I'm down 12 pounds, goal is around another 10-15. No muscle loss yet, but I want to prevent it.

I measured everything this morning and will be tracking muscle just to keep things in check. But, not sure what to expect in terms of muscle loss when I get close to goal.
  • kauseemcee3
    kauseemcee3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    jtechmart wrote: »
    By loosing strength do you mean loose muscle mass? If so, I don't have an answer since I'm wondering about the same question. I'm also cutting for about 5 weeks now. I'm down 12 pounds, goal is around another 10-15. No muscle loss yet, but I want to prevent it.

I measured everything this morning and will be tracking muscle just to keep things in check. But, not sure what to expect in terms of muscle loss when I get close to goal.

Nice work! Well I’ve researched this topic a lot and have read that losing reps or weight on the bar doesn’t necessarily mean muscle loss. I’m curious to hear how others compare to myself so let me know how you go! Good luck!
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    On my last cut, I did end up losing strength. I can't remember when.

I'm currently 4 weeks into a 7 week cut, down about 6lbs, and haven't lost any strength yet.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I lose reps... but that's ok. I expect that. I purposefully switch to a much higher intensity strength based workout (5x5) style rep and weight scheme when I cut. I'll keep accessories in place for as long as I can then cut them out. If it's a longer bulk and I start failing on 5x5 I'll do sets instead with a total rep target. There is no loss of strength for me. One thing I never do is decrease the weight on the bar. Once I've finished the cut I'm basically back to the previous lifts before my cut - in some cases breaking through past plateaus.

Now... when I've tried lowering intensity (weight on the bar) and upping volume instead, it's taken me months to get back to previous levels after the cut. I consider this a definite loss of strength and muscle.
  • kauseemcee3
    kauseemcee3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    I lose reps... but that's ok. I expect that. I purposefully switch to a much higher intensity strength based workout (5x5) style rep and weight scheme when I cut. I'll keep accessories in place for as long as I can then cut them out. If it's a longer bulk and I start failing on 5x5 I'll do sets instead with a total rep target. There is no loss of strength for me. One thing I never do is decrease the weight on the bar. Once I've finished the cut I'm basically back to the previous lifts before my cut - in some cases breaking through past plateaus.

Now... when I've tried lowering intensity (weight on the bar) and upping volume instead, it's taken me months to get back to previous levels after the cut. I consider this a definite loss of strength and muscle.

Thanks for the feedback, that’s some good info. I’ve been thinking of lowering my rep range instead of lowering the weight like you have. My bench has decreased in 1-3 reps but has stayed the same weight wise