Anyone using glucomannan?

Options
Have seen this advertised and criticized. Am a little bit scared by the warnings that if you don't drink enough water it could gel up your throat and you can choke. Has anyone had any bad side affects or success?

Replies

• beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Years ago I bought it, it didn’t help me feel full. Made me gassy though. Threw it away.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    What are you hoping it will help you with?

While I'm not a fan of WebMD, they have a list of possible uses and the likelihood of it's effectiveness:
    Possibly Effective for
    • Constipation. Taking glucomannan by mouth can relieve constipation in adults. It might also reduce constipation in children, but results are inconsistent.
    • Diabetes. Taking glucomannan by mouth seems to reduce cholesterol, blood sugar levels, and blood pressure in people with diabetes.
    • High cholesterol. Taking glucomannan by mouth seems to improve cholesterol levels in people with high cholesterol.
    Insufficient Evidence for
    • A stomach condition called dumping syndrome. Dumping syndrome occurs when food moves from the stomach to the intestines too quickly. This can cause the body to release a large amount of insulin, which can cause low blood sugar. Some early research shows that taking glucomannan by mouth helps prevent blood sugar from becoming too low after eating in people at risk for this condition. However, not all research agrees.
    • A stomach condition called functional gastrointestinal disorder. Early research shows that taking glucomannan does not improve stomach pain, cramping, or bloating in children with this condition.
    • High blood pressure. Early research shows that glucomannan might improve blood pressure in people with high blood pressure.
    • Overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism). Early research shows that glucomannan plus methimazole and propranolol reduce thyroid hormone levels in people with too much thyroid hormone in the body.
    • Obesity. Some early research shows that taking glucomannan by mouth improves weight loss in overweight and obese adults and children. However, not all research agrees.
    • Other conditions.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-205/glucomannan

TL;DR: insufficient studies to demonstrate efficacy for much of anything.

NOTE: I have not evaluated the sources upon which this information is based, and so hesitate to say that even the "possibly effective" means anything more than "needs more study."

ETA: it also mentions throat and intestinal blockages as possible side effects.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I use it as an ingredient, but not as a supplement on its own. It works well for thickening broth for gravy, giving homemade frappes a better texture, things like that, without adding excess carbs/sugar.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Using? No. I do eat shirataki noodles in asian dishes and with pesto. I like it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    jsmuda2012 wrote: »
    Have seen this advertised and criticized. Am a little bit scared by the warnings that if you don't drink enough water it could gel up your throat and you can choke. Has anyone had any bad side affects or success?

fwiw, metamucil has the same warning.
  • OddDitty
    OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I use it as an ingredient, but not as a supplement on its own. It works well for thickening broth for gravy, giving homemade frappes a better texture, things like that, without adding excess carbs/sugar.

Could you tell me how to work that into a gravy recipe and whether or not it would carry the same cautionary note about choking? I am always looking for ways to replace the more fattening with the less fattening. Thanks!
  • OddDitty
    OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Using? No. I do eat shirataki noodles in asian dishes and with pesto. I like it.

I've tried those noodles and they always came out rubbery no matter how long I soaked or cooked them. Have you been able to fix the texture issue? If so, please do share! Thanks!
  • MNPisces
    MNPisces Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone 👍🏼