Anyone lost weight after stopping Risperdal & Cipralex (SSRI) medicines?

Options
Thanks.

Replies

• youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I no longer take SSRIs, but when I first started taking Prozac I lost about 20-25lbs in a few months because it helped manage/suppress my appetite and reduced my desire to eat out of boredom. I ended up changing doctors after a while and the new doctor switched me to a different medication (I think it was Lexapro?) that did not have the same effects. I gained a few lbs and wasn't satisfied with how the medication was working, so I asked to switch back to Prozac and lost the few lbs I had gained and felt better than I did on the other medication. From my recollection both experiences with the weight loss and gain were related to the medication's affect on my appetite
  • malika1976
    malika1976 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've recently come off Risperdal among other medications. Some coming off I have lost 28.7 kg (63 lbs) in 16 weeks. The Risperdal was making me really, really hungry. Now I'm on a mood stabiliser that doesn't affect appetite. I have been on SSRIs in the past (e.g. citalopram) and gained a little weight (unlike the last person who posted) but it was a very small amount compared to Risperdal and it came off easily. I was amazed and so happy when my doctor said there was a mood stabiliser that didn't affect weight! (The only problem is nausea and insomnia but my doctor says these will wear off)
  • TimeToReduceFat
    TimeToReduceFat Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks both of you for your replies.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!