Wanted- vegetables to taste nice!

Options
2»

Replies

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I concur with roasting. A sprinkle of parmesean cheese just before serving is delicious, too.
  • karabobera
    karabobera Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I bought one of those zoodlers (it sounds stupid but hear me out) where you cut your zucchini in half, and twist it through like a pencil sharpener and it comes out like noodles! You just cook them in a pan and serve just like you would any other noodle. Sauteed in garlic and lemon with fish is amazing, or you can serve it just like spaghetti or any other pasta dish! I've gotten my whole family hooked on them. Also, just cutting your veggies up on a sheet pan, sprinkling salt, pepper, and a little bit of olive oil (or whatever oil you prefer) and putting them into the oven until they're roasted is a serious hit. I could eat sheets of veggies roasted like that in one sitting, ha ha :,-) Good luck with your weight loss!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite sides is brown sugar green beans. You can either start with a light boil, or pan fry them the whole time. Just a half tbsp of butter will do for a big pan full (less for one serving), add salt and pepper early. Add minced garlic 2 minutes before finishing on low and then 1-2 tsp of brown sugar (10-15 calories per depending on brand) 1 minute before finishing. Adds amazing flavor, curbs the desire for dessert after, and low calorie.
  • mjschmitzmojo
    mjschmitzmojo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Love the roasted veggies with Lemon Pepper sprinkled on them. Going to try the brown sugar green beans those sound delicious. Thanks for sharing ideas.
  • H2596
    H2596 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I grew up hating vegetables and as an adult barely tolerated them. More recently I’ve taken to roasting them and can’t quite believe the difference. I add any spices I have available and haven’t yet been disappointed.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    everything bagel seasoning
  • ktimperley2
    ktimperley2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Roast with a little olive oil and Penzey's Fox Point or Sunny Paris (salt free) spices.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    FYI - you don’t HAVE to use oil to roast vegetables. Low and slow on parchment works great without the added calories,
  • TheSunAndTheRainfall
    Options
    I get most of my vegetables in stir-frys. A little oil, garlic, ginger, five spice, soy sauce or chilli and pretty much all vegetables are rendered delicious: broccoli, bell peppers, pak choi, cabbage, kale, aubergine.... just chuck in some lean protein and bulk it up even further with some beansprouts and water chestnuts and you're done.
  • smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I definitely need to get roasting by the sounds of it!

I tried "zoodles" - awful! They were preprepared and I thought worth a try as courgette/zucchini is one of those veg I don't like as it usually comes. I still don't like it lol.

• Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Wow such great ideas in here!

I’m a vegetable enthusiast- have you tried curry and a little ghee on cauliflower?

Or harissa on roasted carrots or broccoli? It’s a game changer!

I love crunchy pan roasted Brussels sprouts - add a little sea salt and voila!
  • smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I made a cauliflower soup with curry powder, not sure why I've never thought to just cook them together!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,368 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    Nearly every vegetable-hating human I ever met has been converted with a plate of oven roasted root veggies .

In addition to root veggies, (potatoes, beets, carrots, parsnips, turnips, garlic, onions,)
    Other oven roasted ready veggies are Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower and, believe it or not - cabbage wedges.

Low temp, slow cook (325F, 60 min plus)

I love them roasted. I've gotten to really like roasted beets too. Another way I love fresh green beans is to steam them & add a little butter & grated parmasean/asiago cheese. So tasty
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,368 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention adding some veggies to my fruit/yogurt smoothie is a good way. Especially not adding too much so you hardly taste them, if you don't like the taste
  • sallygibson198203
    Options
    Try steaming your vegetables no need for oil. For carrots add a little black pepper and salt when they are done steaming or experiment with flavors that you like.
  • dwburman95
    dwburman95 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Roasting with olive oil salt, garlic, and PTARMIGAN!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash roasted with chopped pecans!