Walking only for exercise/weight loss?

Options
I know that it really is just calories in vs. calories out for weight loss, but wondering can you lose weight with walking alone and if anyone has done it? Will work up to jogging but I enjoy walking. I usually walk at a medium pace and tend to be winded (I think it matters how fast you walk?). Thanks!

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    yes.
    the first two times i lost 100lbs i lost at least 60+ walking only. running started only at the very end.

and in march i started my journey to loose 30-35lbs i had put back on. While I ran at first, about two months ago with about 10lbs to go i was injured and have not run since. But i still lost 9lbs without running, no gym and nothing other than walking (slowly due to the injury!) so even those last difficult 10lbs came off with no extra exercise.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can just walk.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    It's my main form of exercise. That and strength training. (On days when the weather is miserable or in the winter when it gets dark early and I don't have time, there's a glider in my basement). I've dropped over 105 lbs in 2 years. As others have said, it's all about the deficit, whether it comes from exercise, food intake, or a combo.
  • _Arty_
    _Arty_ Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Walking on empty stomach in the morning did wonders for me.
  • teacherspet1
    teacherspet1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've lost 39lbs with walking & 1200 calories a day! It's true you do get out of breath to start with but it gets better. I was knackered at the start of it all & had to rest a few times going uphill......now I make it to the top easily & a bit quicker. If you've got a doggy it will do you both good! GOOD LUCK!!
  • empressjasmin
    empressjasmin Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I really appreciate all your comments and suggestions!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes you can just walk. I love walking/hiking
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    I started out walking and eating at a calorie deficit. When I hit my weight goal I was looking for some fitness goals and I decided to do C25K. Now I run 4 days a week, but I wouldn't do it if I didn't love it. It is certainly possible to lose weight without running, and walking can be really good exercise. I have lost more weight since I started running, so it can help with weight loss, but it is not necessary for you to "work up to jogging" unless you just want to. If you enjoy walking then stick with it. The best exercise is the one you will do consistently.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Walking is the only exercise I do and I'm down 20lb. As long as you're in a deficit, youre good.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    OP - it seems like you already get that CICO is the important thing for weight loss, so yes I'd say walking would help you with that.
    If you like walking and it helps you maintain a calorie deficit, then it's a win/win.
    Good luck!
  • Damian45
    Damian45 Posts: 85 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Bodyweight in lbs X distance in miles X 0.3 will give you a reasonable net calorie estimate.
    I keep seeing this formula being tossed around in the community here. What does the 0.3 represent? Nothing in that formula takes into account age, speed of the walk, grade of the ground...etc.
  • Damian45
    Damian45 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Damian45 wrote: »
    Bodyweight in lbs X distance in miles X 0.3 will give you a reasonable net calorie estimate.
    I keep seeing this formula being tossed around in the community here. What does the 0.3 represent? Nothing in that formula takes into account age, speed of the walk, grade of the ground...etc.

@Damian45

0.3 is the general efficiency ratio of walking at a "normal" pace on relatively level ground.

Running is roughly twice as inefficient a movement (0.63) as the energy used to propel yourself upwards when running is wasted.

Energy used for movement is primarily down to mass (weight) moved (distance) multiplied by efficiency of the movement.
    Age isn't relevant. speed isn't a big variable until you get into the realms of race walking, grade of ground is relevant but (generally) tends to even out unless you start at the bottom of a hill and stop at the top.

Same goes for cycling - there's a very common range of efficiency (20 - 25%) for converting energy into power that is applicable to the majority of cyclists.

Thank you for the explanation. I'm getting frustrated with the variation of results my gadgets are giving me.