Is this calorie budget ok for me or should I adjust?

Options
I’m 34 years old at 5’8 and 228 lbs with a goal weight of 150. So I’d like to lose 2 lbs a week

I work as a cna doing 12 hour shifts but it’s also a night job so I don’t walk around as much as some others. But I do tend to get about 8,000 steps and get a little exercise in there with the cleaning, lifting and other work duties I have. I also try to go to the gym everyday (even on workdays) and burn about 500 calories through cardio

Is 2000 calories a day a good goal for me? And should I have a different calorie goal on sedentary days?

Replies

• youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    What did MFP recommend? Start with that and adjust accordingly depending on you feel after a few weeks (if you're fatigued or constantly hungry you may need more or you may need to change the kinds of food our eating to address your satiety). Whatever calorie budget is recommended can be used for sedentary days, and on days you work out you can eat more-- about half of what you burned during exercise is typically recommended
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    What did MFP recommend? Start with that and adjust accordingly depending on you feel after a few weeks (if you're fatigued or constantly hungry you may need more or you may need to change the kinds of food our eating to address your satiety). Whatever calorie budget is recommended can be used for sedentary days, and on days you work out you can eat more-- about half of what you burned during exercise is typically recommended

Well like I posted in my other thread, my Apple Watch says I burn 3400 calories in a day. But I’m not entirely sure that’s accurate. Fitness pal with a light activity gives me a calorie budget of like 2700. Would I be light or moderate?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options

Well like I posted in my other thread, my Apple Watch says I burn 3400 calories in a day. But I’m not entirely sure that’s accurate. Fitness pal with a light activity gives me a calorie budget of like 2700. Would I be light or moderate?

I have a complete desk job and find lightly active is good for me. I also don't exercise (I know I probably should lol). I think you'd be more moderate then possibly plus 1/2 your gym exercise.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Is 2000 calories a day a good goal for me? And should I have a different calorie goal on sedentary days?

The only way you'll know is to try it for a few weeks and monitor the results. MFP is a good tool but not perfect.

Though the input above regarding the proposed rate of loss is spot on. So, you may well lose the desired two pounds per week, but you may find it more difficult to adhere to the calorie restriction at that level.