Staying motivated

Options
beginning56
beginning56 Posts: 12 Member
After paying a fortune for weight watchers over the years, and many other diet plans, I'm convincing myself I can do it on my own with the assistance of MFP. I sit all day at a desk though and just think about food! I'm trying to snack on veggies and other healthy things, but craving that chocolate bar! Any tricks to stop thinking about food?

Replies

• youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Keep eating your fruit and veggie snacks if you like them and/or are generally trying to create a new healthy habits, but go ahead and have half of a chocolate bar and find a way to fit it into your calories, then move on. Go for a walk around the office for a minute. Have a drink of water or coffee or tea. Have the other half later if you're still jonesing for it. You don't have to deprive yourself of the foods you like and you won't have failed for eating a dessert. Many people here, myself included, have lost weight while still eating dessert every day.
  • beginning56
    beginning56 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you, youngcaseyr, I'm new to this messaging too, so its neat to be encouraged! I'm so tired of thinking about loosing weight and complaining about my weight....for years. I think I start some sort of new plan/diet every week! Hoping to do it this time! Thanks again.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Instead of thinking about it like a diet that you're going to start and then stop, try to adopt new habits regarding your food and activity choices that you can continue to apply after you've reached your goal. The phrase "it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle" has a lot of truth in it. Every diet out there with a label on it is based on eating with a calorie deficit. There are no magic foods or magic diets, but there are ways of eating that will compliment your lifestyle and help you work towards your goal in a way that is sustainable and even enjoyable for you. Continue to eat the food you like, if you want, just smaller portions. Get a food scale and weigh your food for more accurate logging.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Try and stay busy and productive at work. At times when there isn't much going on, I struggle with the same things. When I am truly busy or trying to be productive, it gets my mind off those same things. Good Luck!
  • themexicanbigfoot
    themexicanbigfoot Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The thing that has worked for me is goal setting. Even small, daily goals. It feels good to be able to check something off. I have daily, weekly, monthly and long term goals. And don't beat yourself up if you don't meet a goal. Try to figure out why you didn't meet it and then maybe reevaluate it and set a new deadline. You can do this!