I regularly have 1,000 calories left every day

Options
I'm a very active 29 year old female. I'm a firefighter, and i work out 5 days a week. Every calculator I've used says i should eat up to 2,400 calories a day. I have my goal set at 2,100.

After exercise, i regularly have well over 1,000 calories left every day. I eat vegan, and i feel like i eat more than enough every day. I'm just not hungry enough to eat another 500+ calories every day.

Does this sound right? Am i doing something wrong? Am i allowing myself too many calories a day?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating this way? Are you losing weight?

Often when people feel they aren't eating enough but aren't hungry, it is a non-issue because they're actually accidentally eating more than they think they are. Your real life weight results are going to be the best measure here.

Veganism would be irrelevant here, if you truly do need to eat more calories then you can just add some calorie-dense plant foods to your diet (some of my favorites are avocados, tortilla chips, salad dressings with plant oil, chocolate, beer, potatoes, pasta, and peanut butter). There are vegan powerlifters who manage to bulk on plants, so it's certainly possible for the rest of us to get enough calories from plants.
  • RunForPizza88
    RunForPizza88 Posts: 56 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    How long have you been at this and if your goal to lose weight how has that been going for you so far?

If you have excess weight to lose then it seems unlikely that you would be under-eating by 1000 cals per day, as if you were you wouldn't have weight to lose in the first place if you see what I'm getting at <3

Are you weighing all your food raw, on a digital scale and measuring all cooking oils, milks etc? I.e is your tracking as accurate as it can be?

I’m fairly active but nowhere near as active as you by the sounds of it and I know I would have no trouble scoffing 3000 cals on the regular if I could get away with it and I’m pretty tiny so I'm surprised that you are having trouble eating enough?

What are you stats, height and weight?

How are you calculating the calorie burn from your intentional exercise?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I'm a very active 29 year old female. I'm a firefighter, and i work out 5 days a week. Every calculator I've used says i should eat up to 2,400 calories a day. I have my goal set at 2,100.

After exercise, i regularly have well over 1,000 calories left every day. I eat vegan, and i feel like i eat more than enough every day. I'm just not hungry enough to eat another 500+ calories every day.

Does this sound right? Am i doing something wrong? Am i allowing myself too many calories a day?

I would advice getting a weight trending app. Weigh in several times a week at the same time every day, after going to the bathroom and not eating, in the same kind of clothing. Watch your trends. That will let you know what your average daily deficit is. Then adjust. If losing too rapidly adjust. It takea a couple weeks to get good data set, but is helpful. I wish I had known about them when I was losing weight. Don't worry about hunger, it general returns with a vengeance when you go into maintenance. I am also going to caution you on being too aggressive. I was. Now I am actually having to regain weight ro feel half normal again. 500 cals left a day. Come on! There is always room for ice cream! Lol 🤣
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating this way? Are you losing weight?

Often when people feel they aren't eating enough but aren't hungry, it is a non-issue because they're actually accidentally eating more than they think they are. Your real life weight results are going to be the best measure here.

this.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Is your goal weight loss, weight maintenance? If you are using 2100 and consistently losing then you are fine. If you're not losing then you are probably eating more than you think you are as several others have said.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food?
    What’s a daily meal plan look like?

Be specific, and list the amounts as well as the kinds of food you eat on a typical day.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Is your weight behaving in the expected way? If you are trying to lose weight and you're losing at the expected pace, then you're underestimating your food and/or overestimating your activity level. If you're losing faster than expected, or if you're losing but do not intend to lose, then you need to eat more.