Belly area

Options
Hello,
Can anyone share any great abs exercises to help flatten the tummy area? I have been doing the regular abs exercises, but I'm looking for something more challenging.
Thanks

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Yep, unfortunately, spot reducing isn’t possible. Do you have much weight to lose, OP? A calorie deficit is the best way to reduce fat. No exercises will help flattening things out, unfortunately.
    sardelsa wrote: »
    As mentioned unfortunately you cannot reduce belly fat by doing ab exercises. This link is helpful.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
    This!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Your body will store weight where it wants to and isolating an area will not help in that regard. Doing exercises to strengthen the core will not reduce fat that is lingering there. In general when you lose weight, your trouble areas will come off last. For me that is the hips....I always store weight there and no amount of jogging or squats make any difference to their size. I lose the weight on the face, stomach, back before my legs and butt catch up.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    You have to get your body fat % very low so your abs can show. So while its helps to work those ab muscles so they will be there for the big reveal it won't do a thing to remove the fat. That will happen through diet alone. If you are like me its the last place I lose fat and the first to to put it back on.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    While you can't spot reduce fat from any one area, you can reduce overall body fat percentages and you can work muscle groups to tighten up loose flabby areas -- try getting into the weight room and doing squats and deadlifts -- over time you will see changes in your body.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Spot reduction is impossible.

greatest myth EVER^^^^^^^

Can you explain the biology behind how doing planks removes the fat stored in your midsection then? My understanding from researchers, biologists, and physiologists is that the body does not burn fat in a specific area based on your movements.

Planks are wonderful for strengthening (increasing muscle) Abs and the core in general AND if you get your body fat below 15% you might be able to start seeing them. Yes your body will have a preference on where it prefers to store fat but short of lowering the overall % there is nothing you can do about it.
  • StephNicole2018
    StephNicole2018 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    10 min abs by the 21 fix trainer leaves my abs fatigued every time. Google it and you can find it. As everyone has stated no exercise will spot reduce fat or excess tissue but a strong core has a few other health benefits.