Keto and protein

Options
I started keto with the help of Dr. Eric Berg on YouTube. I’m giving it a 1-2 month trial to see if I’m going to like it. But anyways, I keep seeing “moderate protein” but how much Protein is too much??? I’ve been eating 1 meal a day but with working out it hasn’t been enough and I’m increasing 2. HOWEVER since keto is a lot of meat, I’m getting like 20/25 grams of protein from just 1 meal, so I’m scared to eat more. Apparently too much will mess with your glucose levels and throw you out if keto. Thoughts???

Replies

• DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    My macro percentage split is 5% carb/30% protein/65% fat. stayed in ketosis on that split.
  • TiffanyLoveG
    TiffanyLoveG Posts: 76 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    My macro percentage split is 5 carb/30 protein/65 fat. stayed in ketosis on that split.

Just to be clear for OP and lurkers, that's 30% of calories from protein, not 30 g of protein.

Thanks for clearing that up, I definitely would’ve taken that the wrong way
  • DisneyDude85
    Options
    My macro percentage split is 5 carb/30 protein/65 fat. stayed in ketosis on that split.

Just to be clear for OP and lurkers, that's 30% of calories from protein, not 30 g of protein.

Thanks. I went back and updated it, too :)
  • TiffanyLoveG
    TiffanyLoveG Posts: 76 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    My macro percentage split is 5% carb/30% protein/65% fat. stayed in ketosis on that split.

But are you eating a lot of grams? Because my macros are 25% protein but still only consists of a small amount of grams
  • DisneyDude85
    Options

But are you eating a lot of grams?

For me, that 135g of protein in a day.
  • tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's going to be VERY hard to overeat protein. It's possible and has happened, but its caused unnecessary fear. It's uncommon.

You need protein. Even more so when you work out, it helps preserving muscle. Even if you somehow ate too much, glucose conversion would be minimal.

.6-.8g/lb of ideal weight is generally what's suggested. In terms of your macros, keto and low carb eaters tend to treat protein as a minimum, carbs as a max, and fat as a filler to eat until you're satiated. For most, a minimum protein percentage is ~30%. I think personally mine is 35% (110g).

You also need to eat far more calories than you are now. 1200 is the minimum for a sedentary woman.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Protein isn't a bad thing and it helps to protect your lean mass. I'm a diabetic that test twice per day and if anything my glucose readings went way down since making protein a priority. I've found long term it helped me to feel more full than fats. I take in around 240 grams of protein a day with my lifting. I'm at 10% carbs/45% fat/45% protein now for a while since becoming fat adapted. The Keto board here on MFP is a great resource.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Protein is not the enemy of keto. The only reason you see “moderate protein” is that in ketosis, your energy comes from dietary fat. You need to get enough protein for your body, but beyond that there’s no real upside to eating more. There IS, however, a reason to use those calories for fat, instead: because then you have more energy.

That doesn’t mean more protein will magically ruin things. It just means you’re not maximizing your macros and could be getting more advantage from what you eat. Which is not nearly enough and holy mayonnaise, woman: EAT. Enter your stats accurately into MFP and aim for the number of calories it tells you, which I’m gonna guess is nearly triple what you’re eating right now.