Can you lose weight "too fast"?

Options
What's the real risk ? Is it the loss of muscle? Anything else?

I'm down 16 lbs in 32 days and wondering what the potential issues are. Obviously starter water weight is a big chunk.

5' 8" male
SW 186
CW169.2
GW ~149 (acrual goal is 12.5% BF)

Replies

• 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @jemhh ...I love this! I tell ppl at my office to stop obsessing over weight loss and start talking about fat reduction.
    ... but it's hard to directly measure : / it's easy to see scale changes.

I'm guessing I just lost a larger than expected amount if water weight. I havent been THAT deficit.

And I'll focus on nutritious foods and wont sweat it too much.

I TRY to go "lower" carbs. Aiming for 50g carbs a day but not worrying if I have a day that's 100.
    I'm trying to just keep it simple, and wait until I'm hungry to eat.

I started working out yesterday and my November goal is establish a workout routine so hopefully I can preserve muscle as best as possible and I'll probably hold some extra water for a while.

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I lost the first twenty pounds really fast--almost a pound a day at first. I am not patient with the slower losses now, but I'm getting used to it. I really feel my body needs this time to adjust. My balance is changing, along with my energy, illnesses I was dealing with, and even how I regulate my temperature. I don't ever want to go back, and I've still got a lot of weight to lose. I'm counting calories, and it's working wonders. I have such a tiny allowance I have to be careful with my choices. I've had people warn me about losing too fast, but I needed that at first. Psychologically I needed to know the effort was worth it.

Now that it's slowing down, I'm looking at other things to get me where I want to be. I just started riding my bicycle again. I'm more conscious of my body, and if I'm hungry I eat--regardless of the calories. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • 73CL350
    Options
    I guess I need to say "yes its 17 lbs in 33 days ... but its 10 lbs of water"

So more like 7 lbs in 33 days which is what I could expect if I just kept everything the same. And is reasonable.
  • Grace2188
    Grace2188 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Most of it should be water and will begin to regulate as you get into a more set routine that you body is used to. As long as you are doing it safely and making sure you are hitting your calories and macros each day then all should be good. Well done though, sounds like you are on track to reach you goal wait if you keep working!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    The real risk is the malnourishment that come from not eating enough. I'm not sure about the problems that may be caused by the actual weight coming off of your body, but being malnourished, even when overweight, can cause all kinds of problems.
  • 73CL350
    Options
    The thing is I'm eating a 500 cal deficit so I dont know why it's such a stark loss.

mlqx0g6wavw8.jpg
  • 73CL350
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Only thing i can figure is i put not active but I am active. I do not eat my exercise calories back.

Here is the chart in a 2 month axis:

jccf7gkhv3k0.jpg