Can you lose weight "too fast"?

2»

Replies

• 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    I WANT to lose the weight ... I just worry about losing muscle and screwing my planned bulk.
  • 73CL350
    I so deeply appreciate the constructive advice and well thought out replies.

I'm going to add a protein shake at night and see how it changes. (Whey protein, peanut butter powder, whole milk)
  • 73CL350
    mmapags wrote: »
    With your rate of loss, you are not eating at a 500 calorie deficit. There is something wrong in the way you entered your data into MFP. Unless you are very short? And the nutritional minimum for a male is 1500 calories.

Well this makes a lot more sense.

I've been aiming for a 500 cal deficit off what mfp told me to eat. Huh.

As for activity levels ... office job (engineer) ... some working out and jogging but nothing crazy. I put not very active.
  • 73CL350
    As said before ... I WANT to lose the weight... but I want to keep big picture focus and be ready for my bulk as best as possible
  • mads_o86
    mads_o86 Posts: 43 Member
    edited November 2018
    There we have it.
    mmapags wrote: »
    I've been aiming for a 500 cal deficit off what mfp told me to eat. Huh.

[/quote]

I recommend setting your goal calories a little higher that what MFP recommends, but not eat your exercise calories back. The reason for that is that your daily calories may fluctuate wildly if you do eat them back and you'll have a hard time forming good habits that way.

My recommendation for my desired loss is ~1800 calories a day, but I eat 2000. If I were to eat back calories for exercising some days I'd have 1800, other days 3000. That almost seems like a disorder to me. I do have 2500 calories on my long run days so I can have energy gels and a recovery chocolate milk when I get back from the rum.

I'm losing a steady 1,1 pound a weak on average and have lost 60 pounds in 18 months. I've had periods of weight gain when sick (yes, opposite everyone else, but when I'm sick I figure my body needs all the nutrients it can get to become healthy again) and on holidays.

I will say that your aim appears to be pretty low, weight wise. If you want to hit 12 percent body fat maybe you should lift a lot of weights to preserve/gain muscle?

I have a smart scale that measures fat/water/muscle/bone ratios and it's really helpful. In spring 2018 I didn't lose any weight, but I gained 5 or 6 pounds of muscle and lost the same amount of fat and that was really visible. Lately I've been too busy at work to lift as much as I need and have lost muscle while losing fat too, but I've lost too much muscle and have started lifting again*.

It's an withings body+ scale

*note one the lifting: I do my workouts in 20-30 minutes and lift eccentric only, except for core. It is very heavy, but not that hard on the joints. For example instead of Pushups/bench press i do negative push-ups where I only do the going down part, but very slowly. When that became too easy I started doing them one handed on my knees and now it's regular one handed negative push-ups. For chin-ups it's the same. I let myself drop down in 4-5 seconds then stand up using my legs and do it again.
  • That first 10 or so coulda been a water drop from burning your glycogen stores and adjusting your salt intake depending on your diet and activity levels before and after you started losing, respectively.