Eating cabbage to keep satiated/other foods?

Options
DvoycY
DvoycY Posts: 38 Member
edited November 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I am a big eater but trying to lose some weight.

Cabbage seems like a good solution - it is low in calories and somewhat cheap: an average head costs about a Euro, weighs one kilogram and provides ~250 calories; reckon that it is possible to split it in two meals (given the sheer volume).

Thoughts/alternatives?

I used to load up on cucumbers but they are expensive (2 Euros per kilogram), and I would argue somewhat expensive - 1 Euro buys you only 4-5 cucumbers (75 calories) and they are less volume than cabbage.

DISCLAIMER:

I still get sufficient calories (1500-1750 on my non-"cheat-day" days) and macros (150g complete proteins, 50g good fats, 100g unprocessed carbs; vegetables and fibers; as well as staying hydrated, resting and being active). Just trying to keep myself sane when cutting. :-)

Replies

• birdmonkey74
    birdmonkey74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try that; sounds like a good idea!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Whole roasted cauliflower.

https://pin.it/hsedbehrnliyeg
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I used to do a fad diet based on cabbage soup. It tended to bloat me. It was effective as a kick start for me; I could never seem to get going if I didn't knock of a few pounds with a rigid diet to give me a "lead to protect". I couldn't handle basing my meals around cabbage for more than a week or so. It isn't sustainable. One interesting thing about that fad diet is it had a day where you could eat all the bananas you wanted but the previous days were like a set up; somehow made you not want them much. Weirdness. Anyway, that's my .02.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Male friends of mine go the salsa route. Tomatoes base and then add whatever is on sale, like capsicum, onions, parsley ( dhania) etc. They eat that with grilled chicken or fish when cutting.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Two fried eggs fill me up, big time.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Coffee always works for me. And chicken breast, protein powder, cottage cheese, egg whites. If I want to add more volume, soups, salads, cauliflower, zucchini, and I love cabbage too.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    You guys should check out the Volume Eater's thread! It's got great suggestions all based around eating to fullness with low calories

Came here to say this.
  • Adam__20000
    Adam__20000 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Plain Celery sticks have very few calories
  • alyssanavetta
    alyssanavetta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love making boiled cabbage with onion celery and garlic salt and pepper and eat it with whatever protein I am having... It keeps me very full!
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage water sauteed with garlic, chilli powder and a splash of soy sauce.

Minimal calories, maximum taste.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I find snacking on higher-protein choices (veggie dogs, string cheese, roasted chickpeas) helps me feel fuller longer. And adding extra veg to regular dishes. So, my scrambled eggs with veggies turn into vegetable sautes with egg, for example.