this might be a stupid question but...

Options
How often should I be adjusting my calorie limit when I'm losing weight to account for the fact that my TDEE will also be decreasing?

Should I just continue with my current calorie limit until I plateau?

Or should I be reviewing it every time I lose 5kg? 10kg?

Any suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks :)

Replies

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I adjust mine for every 5 pounds I go down. So I think that would be about every 2-3 kg? I think if you do the above that might be too much time in between.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If you do the automatic set-up in MFP it will ask you to recalculate after each 10 lb lost.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I did it every 10 pounds.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    I do every five pounds...which reminds me, I need to adjust it right now lol
  • stephieleee
    stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how you want to lose weight.
    I’ve stayed on 1600cal for the last 10 months, and have lost consistently throughout this time. It has slowed down as I’ve lost, but I’ve also got more active, so that has helped balance things out.
    I decided that I’d rather lose weight slower and be happier with my calorie intake because it felt sustainable, than lose weight faster and have to keep adjusting to fewer calories. Have lost nearly 70lb now.

Yeah that's kind of why I'm asking. I like my calorie goal at the moment. It's comfortable and I don't feel like I'm starving or missing out on anything. I'm currently eating 1600-1700 net, and I feel like eating less will make me want to binge eat. There will definitely be room for me to add some more activity so that should hopefully help! Thanks :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    I’ve stayed on 1600cal for the last 10 months, and have lost consistently throughout this time. It has slowed down as I’ve lost, but I’ve also got more active, so that has helped balance things out.
    I decided that I’d rather lose weight slower and be happier with my calorie intake because it felt sustainable, than lose weight faster and have to keep adjusting to fewer calories. Have lost nearly 70lb now.

Yeah that's kind of why I'm asking. I like my calorie goal at the moment. It's comfortable and I don't feel like I'm starving or missing out on anything. I'm currently eating 1600-1700 net, and I feel like eating less will make me want to binge eat. There will definitely be room for me to add some more activity so that should hopefully help! Thanks :)

As you get closer to goal your weight loss needs to slow down so there is nothing inherently wrong with sticking to the same calorie allowance unless you're in a very aggressive deficit, it just means you'll gradually have a smaller deficit than you originally had.

It is however a good idea to take a diet break now and again not just for your body but also for your mind. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks#latest
  • stephieleee
    stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
    Options

As you get closer to goal your weight loss needs to slow down so there is nothing inherently wrong with sticking to the same calorie allowance unless you're in a very aggressive deficit, it just means you'll gradually have a smaller deficit than you originally had.

It is however a good idea to take a diet break now and again not just for your body but also for your mind. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks#latest

Thanks for this! I've been wondering about refeeds and what they are, that was going to be my follow up question lol. I shall have a look into this :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight at 1600-1700 too. My maintenance turns out to be about 2000, so that was a good place for me to be. I had energy, wasn't starving and when I did some exercise I ate a couple or three hundred more.

Some people just calculate their maintenance calories at their goal weight and use that...which is a good way as well.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Readjust when you stop losing (or massively slow). If you're happy on your current goal, and you're losing weight at a speed you're happy with, then why change?