Dizzy spells

Options

Replies

• Copper_Boom
    Copper_Boom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I get a severe dizzy spell every time I play tennis on a weekend morning. I am still not sure why. I normally skip breakfast, but might try eating something on tennis days.
  • corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I looked at ops food diary and I think they are eating more since most things arent weighed so too little calories should not be the issue. I doubt she is underestimating(I could be wrong,depends on how she is usin spoons and things) and they are eating more than 1450 most days so I would say that exercise calories are being eaten back. so then that means it has to be something else IMO.

Everything is weighed in my food diary. If it's something that states 1 serving of something. That's based off a recipe that I made and inputted into MFP and also weighed. So most things are weight. And I eat back some exercise calories. Not all.

Your stats are close to mine..I'm 5'5" and 170. How long have you been eating 1450? If you were still eating 1200 calories and keeping that kind of activity level, the dizziness would make sense. 1200 is way too little for someone close to our stats with an active lifestyle. For reference, MFP has mine currently set to 1560..i do about 10K steps and workout about 3x a week. Your intake might still be a little too low. Is the 1450 the amount you are netting (meaning you eat back exercise calories), or is it your gross amount (meaning you don't eat back exercise calories)? Do you drink enough water? Also, do you drink a lot of caffeine? Take BP meds?

I do drink a lot of caffeine. No BP meds. Didnt notice the dizzy spells at 1200cal/day. I selected active level and 2lb loss a week and MFP gave me 1440cal limit.

you have a lot of tsp,half a patty,1 container,cups for oatmeal which is going to be more than a cup weight wise and calorie wise ,1 cup cake,etc. so those things if you are not weighing them in grams can be off by up to 20% per cupcakes or what have you. like the sams club cookies you have 2 cookies down how much did the 2 weigh together? your bread is listed as 2 slices, each slice wont weigh the same,same way with a scoop of protien powder,chances are its going to be more than if you weigh it.

Im just saying that you are eating more most likely than you think so that should NOT be the cause of your dizzy spells, Im saying I dont see where you arent eating enough like I stated in another post when you said you at 1450,your diary shows you ate more than that. nothing wrong with eating more.

were you eating less sugary things at 1200 than you are now? if so that may ne a sign of something. Im not saying sugary things are bad, but for some people too many sugary things can cause issues. are your snacks eaten later on in the evening too? not knocking them in anyway just trying to see if they may be causing the spells .

If I weigh 5g of food i call it a tablespoon. Why? Because 1 TABLESPOON IS 5G! its quicker and more efficient to not spell out every single thing. I eat less sugar than before. If I'm telling you I weight things then that means I weigh things. Not with spoons or cups but with a food scale.

I'm just saying I am not eating more than I said.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    I looked at ops food diary and I think they are eating more since most things arent weighed so too little calories should not be the issue. I doubt she is underestimating(I could be wrong,depends on how she is usin spoons and things) and they are eating more than 1450 most days so I would say that exercise calories are being eaten back. so then that means it has to be something else IMO.

Everything is weighed in my food diary. If it's something that states 1 serving of something. That's based off a recipe that I made and inputted into MFP and also weighed. So most things are weight. And I eat back some exercise calories. Not all.

Your stats are close to mine..I'm 5'5" and 170. How long have you been eating 1450? If you were still eating 1200 calories and keeping that kind of activity level, the dizziness would make sense. 1200 is way too little for someone close to our stats with an active lifestyle. For reference, MFP has mine currently set to 1560..i do about 10K steps and workout about 3x a week. Your intake might still be a little too low. Is the 1450 the amount you are netting (meaning you eat back exercise calories), or is it your gross amount (meaning you don't eat back exercise calories)? Do you drink enough water? Also, do you drink a lot of caffeine? Take BP meds?

I do drink a lot of caffeine. No BP meds. Didnt notice the dizzy spells at 1200cal/day. I selected active level and 2lb loss a week and MFP gave me 1440cal limit.

you have a lot of tsp,half a patty,1 container,cups for oatmeal which is going to be more than a cup weight wise and calorie wise ,1 cup cake,etc. so those things if you are not weighing them in grams can be off by up to 20% per cupcakes or what have you. like the sams club cookies you have 2 cookies down how much did the 2 weigh together? your bread is listed as 2 slices, each slice wont weigh the same,same way with a scoop of protien powder,chances are its going to be more than if you weigh it.

Im just saying that you are eating more most likely than you think so that should NOT be the cause of your dizzy spells, Im saying I dont see where you arent eating enough like I stated in another post when you said you at 1450,your diary shows you ate more than that. nothing wrong with eating more.

were you eating less sugary things at 1200 than you are now? if so that may ne a sign of something. Im not saying sugary things are bad, but for some people too many sugary things can cause issues. are your snacks eaten later on in the evening too? not knocking them in anyway just trying to see if they may be causing the spells .

OP said she weighs her food. I will sometimes have entries that say cups, 1, 1/2, or whatever, even if I weigh, if the calories match the weighed portion calories. Faster than manually inputting it.

you dont have to manually put in everything. I find entries that show grams. once in awhile you will find entries that dont match. some of them you can edit yourself, or you can make a new one. but whatever floats your boat
  • corysmithsmail
    Options

If I weigh 5g of food i call it a tablespoon. Why? Because 1 TABLESPOON IS 5G! its quicker and more efficient to not spell out every single thing. I eat less sugar than before. If I'm telling you I weight things then that means I weigh things. Not with spoons or cups but with a food scale.

a tbsp is about 15 ml or 15 grams not 5. and you dont have to spell out everything. just find an entry that matches the food in grams. cause others who are trying to help and if they look at your diary will say the same thing Im sure at some point. BUT as I said the dizzyness was most likely NOT coming from too little food.

If that is the case. Then I've been measuring 5g as a tablespoon for everything. Meaning most of my food entries are underestimated....meaning by your logic I'm not eating enough.

You see where that is going?

I dont think I'm dizzy from not eating enough, I'll give you that. But I am not overeating like you are implying. Already do find entries that use grams. Haven't lost almost 100lbs by being wrong this whole time.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

a tbsp is about 15 ml or 15 grams not 5. and you dont have to spell out everything. just find an entry that matches the food in grams. cause others who are trying to help and if they look at your diary will say the same thing Im sure at some point. BUT as I said the dizzyness was most likely NOT coming from too little food.

If that is the case. Then I've been measuring 5g as a tablespoon for everything. Meaning most of my food entries are underestimated....meaning by your logic I'm not eating enough.

I dont think I'm dizzy from not eating enough, I'll give you that. But I am not overeating like you are implying. Already do find entries that use grams. Haven't lost almost 100lbs by being wrong this whole time.

nope only certain things you would be undereating not everything,that would not mean you are underestimating everything . that wasnt my main point though. Im not saying that you are overeating per se. I was just saying that you were eating more than 1450 calories and that should NOT have be the cause of the dizzyness. do you see where Im going with this? and while congrats on the weight loss the more you weigh,the more you can eat and accuracy doesnt have to be 100% when you have a lot to lose which seems like in your case worked out that way. once you get down to a certain weight you may have to be more accurate, you may not. The whole point was to let others that you were eating more calories per your diary and your entries than what you stated to be at 1450.(most days your diary alone say more than 1500. so yes that is more than 1450 but thats neither here nor there now.

I was making it clear for others who may try to help you and find out a reason that may be causing your issues. sorry that you took it as something other than it was meant to be.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The op did not ask for logging help and there's no reason to think logging is an issue here. I lost 125 lbs without having to weigh every tablespoonful. Not everyone needs to do that to stay in a deficit.

OP, if you can check in with a doctor that would be a good thing. Occasional dizzy spells may not be a big deal but this sounds regular, which to me suggests it needs to be checked out. If I had to rule out the cause I would start by asking if you are eating enough carbs to fuel your workouts, or if you are getting low blood sugar. Are you deadlifting heavy? That can cause dizziness. What does your pulse do at the time? Are you having palpitations, or maybe a blood pressure drop?

This could be very serious, or not serious at all, and there are too many variables for someone to diagnose you online. Go see someone!
  • corysmithsmail
    Options

nope only certain things you would be undereating not everything,that would not mean you are underestimating everything . that wasnt my main point though. Im not saying that you are overeating per se. I was just saying that you were eating more than 1450 calories and that should NOT have be the cause of the dizzyness. do you see where Im going with this? and while congrats on the weight loss the more you weigh,the more you can eat and accuracy doesnt have to be 100% when you have a lot to lose which seems like in your case worked out that way. once you get down to a certain weight you may have to be more accurate, you may not. The whole point was to let others that you were eating more calories per your diary and your entries than what you stated to be at 1450.(most days your diary alone say more than 1500. so yes that is more than 1450 but thats neither here nor there now.

I was making it clear for others who may try to help you and find out a reason that may be causing your issues. sorry that you took it as something other than it was meant to be.

1450 calories a day not including exercise calories. So I'm not mislogging and ditto what @rheddmobile said. Wasn't asking about logging. And when I lost the bulk of my weight I wasn't using MFP or a scale. Just ate less. Specifically started logging because I know it gets harder to lose the lower your weight gets.

But thanks for trying to help, but you were making too many assumptions that weren't valid for me.
  • corysmithsmail
    Options
    The op did not ask for logging help and there's no reason to think logging is an issue here. I lost 125 lbs without having to weigh every tablespoonful. Not everyone needs to do that to stay in a deficit.

OP, if you can check in with a doctor that would be a good thing. Occasional dizzy spells may not be a big deal but this sounds regular, which to me suggests it needs to be checked out. If I had to rule out the cause I would start by asking if you are eating enough carbs to fuel your workouts, or if you are getting low blood sugar. Are you deadlifting heavy? That can cause dizziness. What does your pulse do at the time? Are you having palpitations, or maybe a blood pressure drop?

This could be very serious, or not serious at all, and there are too many variables for someone to diagnose you online. Go see someone!

I don't really track macros. I stay away from carbs for the most part. But I lift but I wouldn't say its heavy. I do leg presses 140lbs to failure. Rows 60lbs and triceps 30lbs. But I dont feel like that is heavy. I mean...its heavy for me. No palpitations or BP drops.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,927 Member
    Options
    How much are you drinking?
  • corysmithsmail
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Don't drink.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    What does "dizziness" mean - lightheadedness like near fainting or vertigo-like feeling of movement when you are not moving?
  • corysmithsmail
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »
    What does "dizziness" mean - lightheadedness like near fainting or vertigo-like feeling of movement when you are not moving?

More like vertigo
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »

More like vertigo

OK, vertigo.
    That seems to me to be less likely related to hydration - you drink water and are not lightheaded.
    So this is not happening every day, but about 2x/week. During what circumstances? What activity are you doing when it happens?
    Vertigo can be caused by many things, but the most common is benign positional vertigo that can be triggered by moving in certain directions. It is usually related to the vestibular balance system being a little off and the otoliths in the semicircular canals being slightly off. It typically affects one ear or the other. Sometimes you can tell which ear is affected b/c the "bad" ear does not like to be down on your pillow when you lay on your side in bed. Once the "bad" ear is identified, then you can perform the modified Epley Maneuvers for that identified side. The maneuvers are supposed to put things back into place and is harmless to do.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    That might be it. I work out after work and I'm always tired towards then. So I've started drinking 16oz of coffee about an hour or two before the gym. Being that I already drink 16oz in the morning....that may be too much.

I usually eat a small snack at the same time I have the afternoon coffee...because hungry. Lol

I am in IT (software mostly, but hardware when needed)...and CONSTANTLY when something breaks the comments are "I didn't do anything different" or "Nothing changed". After about an hour later of me digging through the code, it typically turns out that either something was done differently or the data isn't the norm. I'm not saying it's the coffee, but obviously something is different if you are having dizzy spells and the only delta from before is a few hundred extra calories a day.

When do you get these spells (are you logging them to help find a pattern)? Have you noticed any sinus pressure or weather change head cold type issues? Any thing different as far as introducing new or stopping OTC meds or supplements? Any other sensations (nausea, diarrhea, loss of appetite, tinnitus, headaches)? How long do they last? Do have to sit/have you fallen/have you blacked out, seen spots? Do you 'feel' anything like pressure or spinning in you ears - does it fell more in your head/ears/sinus, or more like a drop in blood pressure body/chest feeling? Do you notice shallow or heavy breathing, panting or panic attack, numbness or tingling anywhere, or loss of balance/need to sit or lie down?

https://www.emedicinehealth.com/vertigo/viewer-comments_em-968.htm - others mentioning vertigo with weather change

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/knowledge/160900/vertigo-causes-symptoms-treatments - list of symptoms for vertigo

• Machka9
    Options

Don't drink.

At all?

There's your problem right there! You're badly dehydrated. Aim for 2 litres of water a day and you'll feel much better. :)
  • Machka9
    Options
  • corysmithsmail
    Options

Don't drink.

At all?

There's your problem right there! You're badly dehydrated. Aim for 2 litres of water a day and you'll feel much better. :)

:D:D:D I thought you were talking about alcohol. Water I drink 64oz s day.

The coffee only adds 40 extra calories from creamer. But the vertigo sounds much like the issue.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I think I cleared that up up there when I said that she was eating enough so that shouldnt be her issue.I also said with a lot of weight to lose that her losing without properly logging was because of so muh weight to lose so she could have inaccuracies. I know not everyone needs to weigh food in the beginning ,I also said some may not need to at all. but I guess that was overlooked. I also said in past posts it could be anything causing it. several of us thought that with her activity level and her stating she ate 1450 calories that maybe she wasnt eating enough(read back), I looked and stated that she was from the looks of it and possily eating more so that wasnt the issue most likely .but it is what it is.