Stretch marks through weight LOSS?

Options
Hi girls
Sorry if this is a tad grousom, however I have started getting stretch marks on my stomach. Never suffered from them (well not since puberty) i was under the impression that they were caused by weight gain. There is so much rubbish on the internet that i cant tell what is the truth.

Am i the only one? is there anything that can be done to stop them?
lotte

Replies

• dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I get them from weight loss too. I think it's something to do with losing weight too quickly. Obviously skin stretches, and if the weight comes off too quick, it doesn't have a chance to go back the way it's meant to be, hence the stretch marks. Thats what I was told anyway, don't know if it's true or not.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks can occur with loss- they are your skins way of coping with large weight fluctuations, up or down.

Sorry :-/
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Lotion and pray I don't know much about this and mine are GROSS! So I am Bumping this!
  • samntim
    samntim Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sadly yes, you get them from weight loss as well, kinda like god's little practical joke on people who have gained weight!

The quicker you lose the more likely they are to appear. The only thing I can suggest is massage and using something like Bio Oil everyday to help reduce the liklihood and they say it should fade them as well, but I'm not much of a believer in that, I think time fades them.

I don't know why this happens but it certainly happened to me after I had a Gastric Sleeve done...
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I don't think you actually get new stretch marks from weight LOSS, but rather some of the stretch marks you had already become more visible as the skin gets looser.
  • samntim
    samntim Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't think you actually get new stretch marks from weight LOSS, but rather some of the stretch marks you had already become more visible as the skin gets looser.

I wish, mine are definately new stretch marks, as half way through my weight loss I had the first stage of a body lift, so all my old stretch marks were cut away...
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Wrong.
    I'm covered in stretch marks from four pregnancies. They had all faded to that glossy white color prior to starting my weightloss. Around the time I hit 40 pounds lost I noticed some fresh new *red* stretchmarks. They are different, not wide like the pregnancy ones, very narrow and thin, and they don't run as long as the others - but they are definitely new. All in a little patch on my upper belly.

I certainly wasn't expecting to get any more stretch marks! And I do use Jergen's Firming lotion religiously every day....and have for months.
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    This seems counter-intuitive. Any suggestions for why this happens?
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies guys, I have only lost 10kg (think thats about 20lb) and its my worst nightmare developing stretch marks on my stomach (that and my teeth falling out) and it would appear that thats whats happening :(
  • THCamel
    THCamel Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You could call them shrink marks instead...

As the skin shrinks it loses its elasticity, Loss of collagen fibers in the dermis is what causes stretch/shrink marks to show through the top layer of skin.