How many times did you start over?

Options

Replies

• hattiesgrooming
    hattiesgrooming Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sooooamy times, really focusing this time on the metal part to hold myself accountable. Journaling every day, having ajug for daily water, a check off list of workouts. I want this time to be the real time. Add me anyone who wants to share support 💕
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I was always at a pretty good weight, but over the last 15 years or so, the weight just kept creeping on. Nothing major, just a few kg every year. I thought it was a normal part of aging. I never seriously tried to lose weight, because I didn't really deem it necessary. I've taken part in some half-hearted attempts at fad diets (cabbage soup, anyone?), but again, not really to seriously lose weight. Then I had a procedure done in the hospital last November. They made me step on the scale (I didn't have one at home), and yeah, how bad could it be? It was 95 kg bad (I'm 1,80 m tall). I was totally shocked. I guess that was the kick-start I needed, because OMG, the triple numbers were looming, and then I'd be seriously fat! The first few kgs dropped off just like that, with just a little watching what I ate. Then a friend pointed me in the direction of MFP in the beginning of June, and I've never looked back. So far I've lost 16.5 kgs (36 lbs), and another 5.5 kgs (12 lbs) have to go. Knowing me, I'll likely have to be vigilant for the rest of my life, but I have my indulgences now and then, so I don't really find it super hard to keep it up. Oh, and so far, my only exercise is walking 7-10 km per day, as I don't really like exercising. To sum it up, this is my first - and hopefully last - attempt.
  • thelegendofsakura89
    Options
    More than I can count.
    My first weight loss attempt was when I was 15, and I lost 40 lbs. I would generally have some degree of success...but I would always gain the weight back and sometimes a little bit more over the years, because I was just so focused on losing weight but had no idea how to make the lifestyle changes to sustain it.

14 years later I think this time I finally got it right, lol.
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    0 times! Because even when it seemed hard and progress got stagnant. Just switch up your calories intake and workout routines but never give up and the key is always in the food you eat. Minimize or eradicate sugar and all other processed foods in your house
  • jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    "starting over" is all a mental thing. I too have been on MANY "diets", programs, etc. and have fought my ups and downs. I have learned this last year you really never "start over". Starting over is a term, to me, that seems to state that you have lost ALL knowledge, info, direction, etc. of anything you have ever done/learned. You make poor choices that get you back to the start line, but you never lose your knowledge of how to move forward. You just need to start reapplying that knowledge and make the choice to stick to it, and take steps forward every day no matter how small.

Losing weight may seem to have a lot to do with exercise, eating right, etc. but no matter what plan, program, diet you choose to follow, if your mind is not right you will forever be caught in the loop of lose and gain. I have found many ways to "get right" with myself and every day I am still learning more.

Everything is a choice and taking responsibility for poor choices/decisions when it comes to weight loss is HUGE too. So many people (I myself was one of them) blame other people, situations, experiences, etc for their weight gain, emotional eating, and lack of exercise. But nothing in your life dictates what goes into your mouth when you are eating. Only YOU can make that choice. I have become more self aware of my choices and my responsibility to ME for what I eat and when. My feelings are just that, feelings. Sometimes they suck and sometimes they are great. I cannot let that rule over my CHOICES to show up for myself no matter the good or bad in my day. The cheesecake never makes *kitten* days better...LOL

So I am hoping with the "getting right with me" and showing up for myself every day, this will be the last time I have to re-lose any weight ever again. I am meeting myself where I am at and making small changes that I can do the rest of my life to keep this off, also journaling and working on the mental side of myself will help in more ways than just weight loss.
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    8,540 times at least! It's a never ending struggle for me. At this point I'm just trying to make healthier choices and watch my portion size and STOP beating myself up when I eat the entire refrigerator or the entire package of sour gummy worms that I ate yesterday. Honestly, I think the hardest part is believing I can do it. My self talk needs a lot of work...
  • MarieRosekenji85
    MarieRosekenji85 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    To many times, and now I need to get it together.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Always having to be mindful of choices and always slipping up in little ways (and working to adjust/correct); so it seems like I'm starting over each and every day.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    I've started over many times before I learned that I didn't have to eat "healthy" and that weight loss wasn't as complicated as the diet industry would have me believe. It isn't easy but it is simple - eat less than you burn and you will lose weight either by eating a little less than you need, burning a little more than you do normally or a combination of the two.

What I've learned that's helped me stick to nearly 2 years of logging now:
    • I need to eat far more than the "average" female and thus 1200 calories is not suitable for me, I don't need to starve to lose weight, see below infographic.
    • I don't have to cut foods I enjoy out of my diet or live on "diet food" It's all about moderation.
    • You don't have to exercise to lose weight (although it is good for your health) MFP's calorie allowance only accounts for your non-exercise activity - so your calorie goal does not factor in exercise.
    • It's totally normal for my weight to fluctuate day-to-day and it's actually helpful for me to weigh daily to understand and track my trend - I used to weigh weekly and I wouldn't know that the 5lbs gained from one week to the next was just a result of a higher sodium meal or being dehydrated.
    • I understand the reasons that I overeat now, I don't eat perfectly all the time, I don't always stay under my goal but that's ok, it's what I do 90% of the time that matters, not the other 10%.

ksp4h3rvjibn.jpg

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Save for the winter weight I put on most years, I've only lost weight once...40 Lbs. I put on 8-10 Lbs most winters, but it typically comes off in the spring to early summer when the cycling season kicks off.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,321 Member
    Options
    This is my first time losing this weight, so 0 but I did gain 4 labs & lost 2 so far. after several months of maintenance, I just got more of an appetite. What I did hear about from the show on Netflix called " Ask the Doctor" is one of the episodes are about weight loss & according to the research they say once you lose weight, your hormones kick in & it makes you have more of an appetite. I found this to be true for me. That's why they said, a small percentage of ppl keep it off for good, but we're all going to be that small percentage!!
  • ApzB18
    ApzB18 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Countless and I'm doing it again. Yesterday was my Day 1. I noticed my scale climbing again and actually got scared. Good luck to everyone.
  • jjfranc
    jjfranc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ive started over trying to lose weight and getting healthier so many times I lost count and I'm so dicouraged I will never succeed. So how many times did you start over your journey before anything stuck and you were able to lose the needed weight? How much did you lose?

Everyday! Everyday is a new day. Every moment. Getting healthy and losing weight is a major change for me because I use food to replace what I feel is missing in my life, or to comfort me when I feel down or stressed and so on. This helps me a lot..

https://youtu.be/bc_-b47jo40
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    My first impulse would be to say it’s been countless times, but the vast majority of those times I quit so quickly that any weight loss I managed I gained right back.

I think I lost weight seriously twice before. The first time was about 35 years ago-lol. I ate normally but cut my portions and also cut fat (that was “in” at the time). I got down to the high 130’s I think, but soon got pregnant with my second child and that was that.

The second time was a few years ago when I tried Keto/very low carb with friends that suggested it. I lost around 20 pounds but I couldn’t personally sustain that way of eating. I gained 10 back and have lost the rest by calorie counting.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Too many times, over too many decades. But in looking back there was only twice before that I really lost substantial weight. And then failed to keep it off once I lost it.

This journey and lifestyle change has been different than both of the successful ones.

[/list]One it has lasted longer I have now started in my 7th month of my lifestyle change
    I am being active exercising in one fashion or another 6 days a week for 40 minutes or more at moderate or higher intensity. I started out 7 months ago doing no exercise that started after I started losing some of the weight.

I weigh every single food item before I eat it

I prepare snacks for the week on Sundays so they are right there to grab, such as nuts, or popped popcorn so I know the exact calories and carbs, protein, and fat

I often pre-log items for certain meals and snacks at beginning of day
    I learned on MFP about the beauty of banking a certain number of calories and or carbs, so on Sundays for me, I can have a bit more of everything and it all works and makes me say hey this is so easy.

I can do this forever no doubt about it, and it is working and easy. Not hard at all.
  • jech6
    jech6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with hroderick, every day. It's a struggle. I have gained and lost so much weight it is just pathetic. It's all a mind game for sure. And I personally find that once your "mindset" is set correctly you can lose weight. Right now mine is not and the scale is showing it. I need to refocus, reevaluate my life and I take every day at a time. Some days will be good, some days will be awful and some days I tell myself.."I Can do this!"
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    In general, more times than I can count. But ACTUALLY try, REALLY try, maybe 2 or 3. My HW is 173lb. I've dropped down to 150ish previously, and am currently (AGAIN) going from 173lb to 150ish. Today I'm 153.4lb. My ultimate goal is 135ish I think, but I won't know until I get there. I'm usually pretty satisfied around 145-150. From there it's just a struggle to not treat myself "for doing so well" and end up gaining it all back a third time. Take it one day at a time, one pound at a time and soon you realize you're far from your start weight/date. I feel like, for me anyway, there had to be something that finally "clicked" in me. No matter how hard you try, you have to actually be ready for it and the challenges you'll face.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    It's less about how many times you fail, but what you learn when you do so you can fail better the next time. Trying the same things that don't work over and over without adjustment isn't going to get you anywhere, but any time you fail (by whatever definition you apply) think about what was the catalyst for that failure. Over time this lets you learn your tendencies and weaknesses and allow you to guard against/overcome them more consistently.
  • gabi_texanmom
    gabi_texanmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Well, losing weight has been my New Year's resolution for 15 years. I've only really tried 4 times, all of the other times I would quit within 1-3 weeks. Out of my 4 real attempts, I had success 2 times. My first success was with Atkins, I lost about 40lbs. I put the weight back on once I started eating my favorite foods. My other success was tracking calories and working out, I lost 60lbs. I gained all the weight back with my 2nd (very difficult) pregnancy. Since then I gained 40lbs in about 4 yrs, sedentary lifestyle, overindulging food, high-stress job, etc.

The two failures were because I was trying to restrict too many foods and I had unrealistic goals, but those two failures also helped me learn what works for me and how to adjust for my schedules/routines.

This time I found a middle ground. I enjoy and track what I eat, I don't feel deprived. I work out often and LOVE my workouts. I am losing weight slowly and steadily and I am not letting myself feel defeated when the scale doesn't move as quickly as I'd like. I work with mini-goals and I track my success in ways other than the scale.
  • SimplyMary66
    SimplyMary66 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Every morning for years! Each new day brings a chance to start over! You’re not a failure until you give up! Keep on Truckin!🌹