OMAD

Options
Has anyone tried or is currently doing the one meal a day approach to weight loss. Im doing it at the moment and so far, i have lost 2kg in 3 days. I am fasting til about 430pm, before i eat my first meal, does anyone currently do this or have done this in the past?

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    reddwarf63 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried or is currently doing the one meal a day approach to weight loss. Im doing it at the moment and so far, i have lost 2kg in 3 days. I am fasting til about 430pm, before i eat my first meal, does anyone currently do this or have done this in the past?

Some people do find this approach helpful, and it works with the way they naturally prefer to eat. Just make sure you're eating all the calories MFP gives you, plus at least some of your exercise calories.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    What the poster above said. I still have to be mindful of what I'm eating (I'm doing my own variation of OMAD - I have coffee with creamer in the morning and allow a small, protein based snack in the afternoon if I'm hungry) then a full dinner.

There's a group on OMAD, search for it, you will probably find more resources related to OMAD specifically.
  • morgan_mfit
    morgan_mfit Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    🙋‍♀️ recent omad follower here! It’s been over two weeks and I am loving it so far. Great results with more food freedom during that one meal.
  • SVZee
    SVZee Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    PigHerder wrote: »
    If one big meal works for you, and fits your calorie goals, then it's totally fine. Ultimately the CICO math still works the same way. (BTW most of that 2kg loss is water - but well done nonetheless)

This.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    OMAD doesn't work for me because a day's worth of calories - in macro balance - in one sitting causes me great discomfort.

Any Way Of Eating that helps you hit your daily calorie targets is good!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    OMAD doesn't work for me because a day's worth of calories - in macro balance - in one sitting causes me great discomfort.

This is my view too.

My only concern with OMAD is that I would find it hard to eat enough protein and the amount of vegetables I think are important (I am someone who thinks it's ideal to have 10+ servings per day). I'd also be worried about accidentally keeping calories too low.

If that's not hard for you, or you log for a bit and see that your calories and protein and everything else is on track, great!

I think different ways of eating (timing, etc.) work for different people and understanding what makes it easier for you is important. (This is also why I dislike it when people claim their way as the One Best Way for all.)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I feel like it would be hard to get a good balance of nutrition with just one meal a day, plus I don't like to be hungry. But if it works for you then great!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if it works for you, thats all that matters.

my fiance can easily only eat once a day.

I am told I am very not nice if I go too long without eating. so.... its usually 2 meals a day for me LOL
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    What the poster above said. I still have to be mindful of what I'm eating (I'm doing my own variation of OMAD - I have coffee with creamer in the morning and allow a small, protein based snack in the afternoon if I'm hungry) then a full dinner.

There's a group on OMAD, search for it, you will probably find more resources related to OMAD specifically.

That's pretty much my approach. Coffee in the morning (maybe a piece of toast or a yogurt if I feel like it), snack in the afternoon if I need/want it then the majority of my calories for dinner when I'm genuinely hungry.
  • Jazzykatt
    Jazzykatt Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have coffee and a protein bar in the morning and then eat my meal at dinner. I don’t know if it is still considered OMAD being that I have a bar for breakfast but it’s what has worked the best for me thus far. If I eat anything after my bar, I don’t stop all day. This keeps me disciplined.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »

Ya, I just had a 507 calorie dinner and I am stuffed! Any more calories would be painful.

But I will be hungry again in 3 hours.